Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SupaEZ's ABC's of self launch Core Riot XR2 LW 19m

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: SupaEZ's ABC's of self launch Core Riot XR2 LW 19m

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 pm

edt wrote:supaez I have a request next time you viddy this launch technique can you do it in 25 knots or more? Self land and self launches are all pretty easy when the wind is lite. It's when the wind is nuking that separate the bad from good self launches.
Yes, it can. But I think the point here is not really seen.

It is a kite of a size that would not stand easy/safe for long with a normal tethered launch (that takes longer too) in extremely light wind.

Also, making a normal "slide" launch could be done - but NOT easy or possible to turn the kite up from the LE down in such low winds. And more difficult to check the lines this way.
Most likely if light, the kite will slide fully downwind and you have to launch it reverse - easy to do, but not nearly as "simple" and clean.

And - the lines can be checked much easier with Supa'z way, as they can be slightly tightened before you pull the dead weight away.

Finally, in REALLY light wind, you walk a bit further upwind, so the kite is launched deeper in the window - as it can not be launched to the side, if really low winds (f.ex at the beach, even if okay wind up higher and further out).

So if I am not mistaken, this method is AWESOME for big kites in really light wind, besides being fast of course.

Although, the "softer" (thinner) LE is almost necessary in order to have the kite lie down so stable with
the dead weight on the tip, right ?
As big kites with stiff thicker leading edges will need a lot more weight on the tip, to keep in place :wink:

Just guessing a bit here, as I havent seen your launches...

In more wind, there are also many other methods - tethered, standard easy/fast slide, on its back.

:D Peter

Attila
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Attila » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

Nice vid/technique and nice vibes, SupaEZ + NJOY, you guys must be great folks.
I also enjoyed your slomo opera (ok I didn't see the whole thing). The warning was a good idea.
Happiness = perception - expectation, as someone said.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 am

edt wrote:supaez I have a request next time you viddy this launch technique can you do it in 25 knots or more? Self land and self launches are all pretty easy when the wind is lite. It's when the wind is nuking that separate the bad from good self launches.
I'll film a normal sliding launch and a QR land for you if we ever get nuking winds. I self launch and land most all the time, because there are usually never other kiters at my beach.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 am

No worries. SupaEZ can do the same launch in 40 knots. I've seen it. As for sliding launches, in high winds you have the possibility of getting yanked out of your wetsuit. SupaEZs way keeps the kite at the edge of the window.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 am

Flight Time wrote:I'll film a normal sliding launch and a QR land for you if we ever get nuking winds. I self launch and land most all the time, because there are usually never other kiters at my beach.
i got my sliding launch dialed in, but always nice to see someone do a self in high winds. Self land when it's nuking I usually just hit the safety.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 am

edt wrote:i know your wife loves filming you supa because you are so pretty, but she should have pointed the camera at the kite when it launched and not at you.

how does this launch method work in higher winds, say 30-40 knots.
Yes i totally agree about filming the kite taking off...
...that's why we are thinking of re-shooting another kite take-off

Yes the method works in 30-40kn...using my Rebels 8-6 or 5M...in soft sand or hard sand

P.S. if hard sand...that is where the "flat base" of pump comes in ...
....to scrape off some loose sand to fill sandbag :thumb:

As the wind increases you put more sand in bag ..........weight wise

I use an empty "hurricane" sandbag that cost 0.79 cents at our hardware stores

I only had about 20 lbs for the 19m....but higher winds i fill more to 25 or 30 lbs

With higher winds and smaller kites something else need to be done to prevent kite spin out

Spin out happens when leeward wingtip that is raised up catches the strong wind....
.....and turns the kite off axis into the wind window...windmill type effect

So to prevent that...once the kite is pumped at 1 to 2 psi ...and leeward wingtip is about to go up...
...you put a pile of sand 5/10/15lb (depends on wind) on "trailing edge"..(it will slide off EZ at launch)
....at about 4 to 5 feet of the kite's wingtip

This will anchor the kite from moving...and keep the trailing edge kite totally in line with wind flow
In addition...in high wind...the leeward wingtip (when kite fully pumped)...will not flap in the wind...

When i use this method of launch in a grassy field for the river sessions in high winds
....i have already 2 filled sandbags in my car....one is 30 lbs and the other is 20 lbs

When i ride at beach...i travel light and bring "one" empty bag...and when session done....
...i just spill the sand right out..........that is how EZ it is to self launch..no matter what....
....for "where i ride" (some people have rocky or tricky surfaces to launch off from)

............................. :surf: :sun: .........................................................................................

joedy
Medium Poster

Postby joedy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:28 am

SupzEZ,

I noticed that the lines were already attached to the kite in the video.

Do you normally leave your LEI bar and lines attached to your kites (aka "Flysurfer Style")? If so, how do you pack your bar? (In the kite or outside of the kite?

-joedy

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 am

joedy wrote:SupzEZ,

I noticed that the lines were already attached to the kite in the video.

Do you normally leave your LEI bar and lines attached to your kites (aka "Flysurfer Style")? If so, how do you pack your bar? (In the kite or outside of the kite?

-joedy
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375775&start=10

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:07 am

NJOY wrote:
Kiteus Maximus wrote:I just want to know what video camera your wife was using. Either she is the most stable, non-shaky person to ever hold a video camera or she was on a track system in the sand because her filming was incredibly smooth.

I am using a little cheap Cannon waterproof camera. This was my first time shooting any video and we did it on one take. It does look a little Blair Witch Project when I am walking. Funny that you don't realize all the little things people are looking for until you try to post something. Thank you for the compliment! NJOY
Watch some kite videos and you will quickly notice that 99% of the people shooting the videos appear to be epileptics.

Great job.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 am

:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”