Forum for kitesurfers
jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jever98 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:43 am

Hi folks,

I will be sailing from Martinique to Grenada in November, and was wondering what size kites I should take. I have the X2 20, 14 and 10.

Any advice appreciated.
Nico

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:56 pm

I sail 12m all throught he islands, Its the only kite I take when I go. With a 14 and a 10 you'll be fime. Ill be amazed if you use anything bigger but bring it anyway. Stop in PR and saail with us here for a day or 2 you'll love it.
Aloha Royce.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:56 pm

I sail 12m all throught he islands, Its the only kite I take when I go. With a 14 and a 10 you'll be fime. Ill be amazed if you use anything bigger but bring it anyway. Stop in PR and saail with us here for a day or 2 you'll love it.
Aloha Royce.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:58 pm

Hello Nico,

Sounds like a great trip. Normally when I travel to the Carribean, even higher wind destinations like Cabarete or the ABC islands, I try to take a three kite quiver. Even in these consistent wind destinations, the winds go up and down. I am not that familar with winds in the area you will be traveling. Thermal winds are a major source of wind along the northern coasts of PR, DR, Cuba, Jamaica, etc. In the ABCs and Margarita, the trades interact with the coast of South America to create some excellent consistently strong winds. For the area in the middle, where you will be riding there are the trade winds, that go up and down with tropical waves and depressions. These tropical systems often decrease in November. Last time to Cabarete I carried two kites in one carry-on bag and one in a checked bag. I would target winds from 10 kt. to 20 kt., perhaps 25 kts. or better if conditions come in well. It is also possible that winds could come in below 10 kts. at times.

Have a great trip!
Rick Iossi

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:36 pm

Thanks!
We will be sailing on a 45 ft yacht and when we anchor near some nice kitesurfing beach, I'll just hop in the dinghy and go for a spin
:smile:

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:40 pm

I'm getting jealous…… Caribbean … 45ft yachts … kitesurfing.

What a awful life you have

Have a nice trip man!

Greetzz,
Robert

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:47 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. That is what I did during the HiHo windsurfing event two summers back. Kites were only starting to showup at the event then. The winds in the BVI go up and down as well. When conditions are good, they can be very good in all that clear, warm sheltered water for fast shredding and popping jumps.

Have a blast!
Rick Iossi

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:23 pm

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:30 pm

I'm too jelous maybe you should invite all of us that have reply to your post :smile:
Anyway, I live in the DR and here the conditions in Nov. are not the best, but I can't say the same thing about the places your going. But a 12m sounds like a good choice. But take the whole quiver just in case.
Question: Is that the HiHo thing you are doing? If not, can u give me an idea on how you arranged this trip?

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:46 pm

No, I am not doing the HiHo. Rather, it is a family trip since my father has his 60th, and I am lucky enough to be invited :cool:

Return to “Kitesurfing”