Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 am

Guys,
Thank you for all your support but once again I have nothing to hide. I'm almost done with the video showing the proof of today's light wind session in less then 7 knots. I can't beleive the kite never fell out of the sky in the lows. (wait until you guys see the video and you will understand what I am talking about)
I think Mr.Pump me up will be very impressed with the performance of the INFINITY V3 kite in such light breeze. :allbegood:
For sure, I could not of done this with out an SUP board and would like to thank the EPIC BOARD SPORTS store here in Cocoa Beach FL for letting me borrow one of their 9'9" SUP boards.
Attachments
EPIC BOARD SPORTS store.jpg

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:25 am

Hmm Pmu what was the title of this post again ??? If you cant take it dont give it - thats called playing fair !!!
And i now take it that we all have to kite on 10m lines, next to a government facility 'Otherwise' its all bullshit according to your 'counting by numbers' kiteing belief system. Yeah whatever, it just keeps flowing !
By the way, I use a screamer for freestyle, a torch for wakestyle n megaLooping and a Bws kite for down the line - so yes im guilty of emailing Helen at epic to purchase the Screamer - I know Robby from years wavesailing and Ben Wilsen from a demo day . Sorry if thats become a crime too with 15,20 and 25m line sets ;)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Kiteus Maximus wrote:
Ha! Since when did wind meters become accurate? I can't even begin to count the hundreds upon hundreds of sessions where the wind was no where near what the forecast was projecting. Either stronger than forecasted or as usual...much lighter than what was forecasted.

Look at the below graph which lists all available forecast models. All but one show the sustained wind remaining below 10 mph the period you are referring to.

Image[/quote]

Hey thanks for proving my point !
The blue line was the actual wind :lol:
He started around 1pm...when wind was 9mph....and then it picked up to 11 and 12 mph :thumb:
The wind direction was S to SSW
On that wind direction in Cocoa Beach..there is 3-6kn on the beach sand..but 9-10kn on water

On that wind direction (side to side side off) in Cocoa Beach..even at 12kn you get zero ripples....
...in the ocean....it looks deceiving to the untrained eye...the glassy ocean...on Southerly winds

So not the "total" information was revealed by the SUP hero
OH and i forgot one more detail..
....it was a North swell with light current flowing southward against the wind :naughty:

NOW that is full disclosure of the facts base on my knowledge of the place
And still ...some of you will side with someone who only been in my town for 2 days :wink:

.................... ...P.S. I am the one who set-up the SUP rental for him....................

.....................P.S. I took him on a grand tour personally..for one hour... of all our local kites spots......

............P.S. this was a friendly showdown on Tuesday...and soon you will see a video................

............P.S......side by side my 19 flew in the exact same amount of very LW (4kn estim.) than his

...........P.S.....Dimitri is a extremely nice guy and i had lots of FUN that day with him.... :surf: ......

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Ok Mr.Pump me up,
Believe what you want to beleive but all I know is that I was the one having a great time in less then 7 knots. The reason I made this video is so I can back up my light wind session because I knew some one like you will always try to say something negative. This is me today in Cocoa Beach FL on the SUP board having a great time with the INFINITY V3 prototype kite. And clearly it was not blowing more then 6 knots. Some times I was barely moving on the SUP board as you will see on the video I have attached bellow. The wind was very light and shifty where I was, which was probably 2 miles north of Patrick Air Force Base with lots of buildings around. So "Sherlock" check the video and hopefully this will make you understand how much fun I had. But again, no matter what I say, there will be few people that won't beleive it until they see it from their own eyes which is happening as we speak during these demos.

YOUTUBE

VIMEO

P.S. Any thing else I can help you with Mr.Pump me up!!!.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:15 pm

That's pretty awesome!

You were kind of a jerk to that dude on the brown sup. :nono:

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote="Dimitri M"]Guys,
Thank you for all your support but once again I have nothing to hide.

Dear Mr. Epic,
I regret that while you were in town I did not get a chance to meet you. You sound like a very nice guy from everything my husband has to say about you. I do have one question, though, if you will be kind enough to answer because I'll bet when you look at the water or wind it looks different to you than other peoples...
So, when was your last eye exam?

For your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coCBGlfmEgA

Have a great day! :)

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Per Pumpy: "A light-wind showdown" amongst the biggest claimers (Flysurfer, Epic) and others (North, Core, Slingshot, etc) would be one way to clear this up once and for all."

Going back to your original post...
This is from a woman's perspective. I admire so much that you would try to post all this data because every detail you posted is important. Sigh! But in my opinion, it is like trying to nail jello to a tree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwVsMGsLckI

Notice what these kids say about half-way through their own video.

To be continued...njoy
Last edited by NJOY on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mc8
Medium Poster

Postby mc8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I haven't read the whole topic, but i gotta ask: whats the big deal in riding huge boards in 7 knots? We were having some fun in 4-6 knots with raceboard and a regular ( no low wind ) 14m2. No problem going upwind once you get some speed.
What i'd like to see though, is how to relaunch the kite in 5 knots..if it was shown somewhere in those 26 pages - respect! If not, then i just don't care about lightwind kites, as i don't see any benefits from them..

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm

mc8 wrote: We were having some fun in 4-6 knots with raceboard and a regular ( no low wind ) 14m2. No problem going upwind once you get some speed.
I'm looking forward to the next 26pages to refute this... yet one more light wind "claim"... :lol:
Without video with wind meter it's gonna be hard to win votes though :D

That said it wouldn't surprise me that some are going in low winds with those crazy looking race boards... they look like giant shredders... slice and dice fish with those.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Pump me up wrote:
Good detective work, Supa :cheers:

Clearly, it's not
Dimitri M wrote:3 to 6 knots

It is more than detective work....i live 1.0 mile south of where he was SUPkiting (4th street N )
I went home for lunch Wednesday and on my way back to work (1pm).....

....i stopped at my (5th street S) beach....got out of car...stood on my beach..the wind was 9 mph....
.....from S 180 to S 190.....very steady..typical glassy water ocean on that wind direction...

....most people would say it was 5 mph "just by looking"

Then i drove to work...2.0 mile north of where he was SUPkiting
My work place has huge windows facing south and right across the street ...

...there is 5 tall palm trees........those are very accurate wind speed indicators..
...if you have good eyesight ( i am an optician)

So around 2 pm i saw the palms moving more and i said to myself it just picked up to 10-11 mph

It pretty much stayed like that til i got off work at 3:30pm

So again i went to 5th street on the way home and the wind was still 10-11 mph

Unfortunately i had an appointment to go to around 5:00 so no kiting today

Still at 4:45 i went again on the beach to check and the wind was still 10-11 mph from S

That afternoon there was no 3kn..no 4kn...no 5kn...no 6kn....on the WATER when he rode

I speak because..
...i flew the V3 just 2 days ago....and i know its power..and what it is capable to do in less than 6 kn

I know those waters and its winds

So thanks for the support PMU.....
Last edited by SupaEZ on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”