Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advise: 9M 2013 North Fuse or 9M Ozone Edge

Postby kitegrommet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 am

I've loved my years on Switchblades. I'll always ride a Xbow for lightwind, 13M
I liked the stability of the SB and I'm not here to bash but I'm moving on

I can't demo the 2 kites I've narrowed it down to, just the geography.

Any thoughts on the differences between the Edge and Fuse are welcome.
The control systems are great and I know the 2013 Fuse isn't out yet. I don't want to mess with a 5th line, no Rebel.

I'm 165lbs, I ride for fun and will get a Sector type board to blast around on, Best also has a new race/freeride board coming. I have a separate kite (switch) and board for wave riding and downwinders.

This 9M will be used in winds above my 13M Xbows limit, and mostly flat water twin tip or freeride board.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Advise: 9M 2013 North Fuse or 9M Ozone Edge

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 am

Very Different kites man? I have only owned and fly the rebel, now on the edges. So can't comment directly on the fuse. But they say the fuse is four line rebel, but a little more aggressive and some sayi the fuse boosts better.

The edge is much higher aspect kite, develops its speed through apparent wind. I would if in flat water then go the edge, especially if you are planning on getting a sector. An edge and a sector is an awesome combination and you will get more out the board with the edge.

The fuse will be easier to jump, the edge takes some technique. Height wise maybe similar but hang time and glide the fuse won't compete with the edge.

If you were in the surf I'd lean towards the fuse. But you said flat water.

The edge for me, but the thing is you really should demo this kite.

Can you edge really well, the edge will require it.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 am

Edging is no problem, I learned on Fuels in 2002. It was edge or die :)
I'll be on a TT or directional freeride/race board

Thanks

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 am

Have flown all referenced kites and especially spent a lot of time on the Edge. The Edge will boost you to the moon if that's what you want. It will float a lot longer too due to the high aspect ratio as mentioned by Westozzy. I found the Edge to be very easy to jump but as Westozzy says you need to get a feel for it. The Edge will start to pull you off of the water before most other kites so timing is key. But let me tell you...when you dial it in you can rip off the water like the old C kite feel.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 am

bullshit. those kites are completely opposite each other.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 am

Well if you started like I did on the old C's then it will be like going home and finding someone has built you a fuckin mansion. I also rode foils for four years and it is a perfect combination. It is so good to be developing apparent wind by concise kite flying, and yet so manageable even in stupid winds. Yeh the edge is not hard to boost, but it does take a little while to get the most out of them, even when you are not quite dialled in they still beat the shit out of just about everything else. The epic screamer is another bullshit boosting kite, but didn't like the overall feel of it.

The edge is smooth man, and yet you can be really aggressive at the same time. Just a mind blowing free ride kite in my opinion. The search is over than god, only took me 13 years!

Put it on a race board and you will out point the bloody wind itself! Well that's impossible but you know what I mean.

But I won't rubbish the fuse it is a very good kite to. As someone said above in a most elegant tone, they are indeed very opposite to each other. You may want to consider your real needs if these are the two you have narrowed it down to. I suppose the only similarity is they can be used as really good free ride kites. But that's where it stops, they develop power very differently.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 am

The larger edges 11m and up have only one flaw. They are a little slow to turn but the 9m is quite nimble. Westozzy nailed it on the description. Super smooth very accessable power, easy easy boosting and very fast board speed.
Supremely awesome kite. I will never be without a quiver.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm

True that about the 11m and up ( the 11m the sweet size I reckon), but there is no need to work such a kite that develops such apparent wind. That being said I'm still mega looping the 11m, transition roll with loops etc. just gotta get all smooth and fluid like, plenty of float to get all those tricks right.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I really appreciate the feedback.

Your impression on stability in gusty winds?
I only run a 2 kite quiver, this will be my higher wind kite. Is it stable, does it need alot of input to manage gusts and wind shifts?

That is the one characteristic I liked in the smaller SB's.

I can't imagine a race proven kite not being stable and needing alot of input when you have to keep your mind on the race course.

Thanks again,

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

the learning curve with the edge for jumping is really a question of ball size. When you can muster up the balls to go as fast as possible then pull the trigger at max speed..... whamo. insane and crazy air time!....

The times i do that on the edge are the best times,.,..... Yes i miss my 11m it was more glorious than the 13 i have

Return to “Kitesurfing”