Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite specific surf board recommendations

Postby flybykite » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 am

I've been on TT's for awhile now riding mostly old school style but I'm wanting to get my first kite specific surfboard for medium wave/swell riding around 1.5 - 4 meter size waves. My spot is onshore winds with mostly mush breaks (7 breaks leading out to larger swells and breaks) Trying to choose seems a bit confusing with volume, length, concave, rocker, tail design. fin setup options, etc. I like to ride agressively on a TT and would do the same with a surfboard. Tight turns, build quality for jumps, weight, and strap options are my first concerns.
I'm 6'0" and 150lbs on Rebels and Switch kites.
I would really appreciate some size recommendations as well as specific brand and model opinions. Here in Vietnam, options are limited buying new and I've only seen Jimmy Lewis boards and one North Wam from 2010 5'8 as well as a Naish board but cant remember the model or size.
Thanks for the help
Steve

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite specific surf board recommendations

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

5'8'' naish global.

It has five fin boxes so you can choose the setup you want and will do well even in the bigger surf.

Get the 5'8 as that size can do a bit of everything even riding aggressively :)

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:36 pm

mate for your size try the 2013 North Xsurf 5'10
does everything you say you want it for and ive been doing huge strapless jumps on mine and no breakage just little bit of heel dent.
best bet is try a load and see which one feels right for you

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 pm

tautologies wrote:5'8'' naish global.

It has five fin boxes so you can choose the setup you want and will do well even in the bigger surf.

Get the 5'8 as that size can do a bit of everything even riding aggressively :)
Thanks Taut, I bought the global 5'10" today. They dont make a 5'8" but I'm sure you meant 5-10. Tomorrow is gonna be wicked. Feels like the the first day I learned to kite again. :jump:
Just not sure I wanna take it out in the big surf right away, might give myself a couple days in the chop to square myself out.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:59 am

flybykite wrote:
Thanks Taut, I bought the global 5'10" today. They dont make a 5'8" but I'm sure you meant 5-10. Tomorrow is gonna be wicked. Feels like the the first day I learned to kite again. :jump:
Just not sure I wanna take it out in the big surf right away, might give myself a couple days in the chop to square myself out.
Nice. The 5'10 was 2012, and 5'8'' 2013. They should be pretty similar though, a tad more tail rocker on the new one. My buddy has that board and loves it :-)

I think that board will be awesome for you. :-) It is a great all round board. Since you like to go powered the global lineup is awesome :-)

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 pm

First day on the board with 2 sessions. Love it!
I was a bit nervous at first having never used a SB but I was surprised how similar it rode to a TT except it turns fast and sharp, needs more front foot pressure and it took a couple tacks to remember I can't do a slide turn :) After 30 minutes on it I could smack lips with no worries. Just don't have the jibe dialed yet but I'm sure my toe side improved a bit and my legs found some new muscles that felt slightly virgin. I'm gonna take the straps off to learn that. I really did think the learning curve would be sharper, maybe it's just a good fit!
Thanks again, Super stoked. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”