Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Demos are pretty darn fun

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Epic Demos are pretty darn fun

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:56 am

Went down to Cocoa Beach today hoping to get to try out an Infinity V2 or V3. Way too much wind for that today, but I did get to try the 11 & 13M.

Dimitri shows up, and he goes 90 to nothing, getting set up and before I know it, he has 6 kites ready and a kite in the air headed to the water "saying who it going first". I expected some kind of sales pitch, but what I got was "here, take this kite out and tell me what you think". Winds were light and gusty on my first time out, so it took me a while to find the right angle to get back to the spot. I thought he might be kind of irritated at how long it took me to get back, but as soon as I got there, he had a 13m flying and sent me right back out. The wind picked up and the cool guys started showing their stuff.

We were at the "520 slick" which was kind of a tight launch area and somewhat crowded. I am used to having a whole lake to myself, so I kind of felt like an Amish dude in Time Square on New Years, but all the people there were friendly and helpful. The winds there were strange because you had to keep the kite much higher than I am used to, due to the trees upwind (northwest today). In spite of the area and winds being so strange to me, I had a blast.

Once I was done, I started watching the show. There were some good kiters there, and Dimitri's big air skills are a site to see. I watch every kite video I can find, but seeing it up close and personal was much more impressive.

I'm sure this sounds like I am trying to "pimp" Epic, but I am not. I am saying that if you get a chance to go to one of Dimitri's demos, you should. You will definitely get to try some kites, and get to see a great show. :thumb:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Epic Demos are pretty darn fun

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 am

I also took the time to go meet Supa EZ while I was there. He is a Supa nice guy, and you can tell that he really enjoys a spirited conversation about anything kite related.

I had a great day meeting some of the Big Dogs. Maybe in 30 years or so I will be able to hang on a kite like them. :P

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:I expected some kind of sales pitch, but what I got was "here, take this kite out and tell me what you think". ... but as soon as I got there, he had a 13m flying and sent me right back out.
That's how you're supposed to do demo days!

The ones we have here... the sales guys ride the kites most of the time and you have to pry it out of their hands :-/ nobody offers anything and if you want to try something, you have to ask and keep badgering them for it.

Not to mention the buggers set up 10 kites and lay lines out all over the beach, right in the middle where everyone else is trying to launch.

Ok rant over :lol:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well thank you very much for these kind words Mr.KYLakeKiter. I am sure SupaEz will be very pleased because he is a great guy.
You have to understand that Kiteboarding is my passion and that is what drives me to do what I do. I just love this sports and I want to share it with all my fellow kiters. Remember, we are all in for the ride. Also it is always nice to meet new kiters on the beach. These are some pictures from the EPIC demo that happened yesterday in Cocoa Beach. I beleive you are in one of these pictures. Will be posting more pictures on the DEMO & EVENT page.

P.S. Always respect the locals and make sure you ask what the rules are.
Attachments
DSCN5846.jpg
DSC_0176 1.jpg
DSC_0134 7.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg
DSC_0160 5.jpg

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Ouch....come on Dimitri. I just saw that you put a pic of my walk of shame on your Demo post :oops:

Oh well, it was pretty funny. Maybe someone at 321 can sign off my level 3 for self rescue since everybody saw it. :lol:

For the record, that was my kite, (not one of the demos) after I flew the Epics. It happens. :-?

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Since I didn't get to try the Infinity V2 while I was there, I emailed Dimitri, and he sent me one. I was planning a trip south to some warmer water on the 27th, so he wanted to send it early to make sure I got it in time during the Xmas shipping rush.

It showed up yesterday and I have to say that although I don't usually care about what I kite looks like, I was kind of "Shiney Thinged" by this one. The bag it came in is very cool and when I opened it, there was a kite version of "new car smell".

I will get over my "kid at Xmas" mood, and go try this thing out objectively. I really want a good session saving low wind kite, so I will put it to the test for a couple of days and report back.

I will NOT, however, be testing the Epic Speedo. Since everyone seemed to be checking with their wives on this one, I checked with mine and she said Not Approved. Her opinion was that if it only came in one size, instead of the label saying XXL, it might as well say Infinity. :lol:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:
I will NOT, however, be testing the Epic Speedo. Since everyone seemed to be checking with their wives on this one, I checked with mine and she said Not Approved. Her opinion was that if it only came in one size, instead of the label saying XXL, it might as well say Infinity. :lol:
:thumb: KY ..we INTENSE-ly approve your message :lol:

Have a supa MERRY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL MAS with your better half.. :love1:

.............................. :surf: :sun: ....................................................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”