All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kiteboard Weight
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am 
Rare Poster

Hi all,

Is there a particular brand of board known for being lightweight, without compromising overall durability and performance?

What would be the average weight of boards?

Thanks in advance for your response.

windr

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard Weight
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

interesting question. I made 200+ boards and never managed a kiteloop bomb drop proof lightweight board, always a little bit heavier with more glass/carbon if they were going to last.

having said that there are a few wood core lighter boards around again today and i haven't heard too much about them breaking, but then again there are far less people pile driving themselves into the water kiteboarding today compared to 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

interesting question. I made 200+ boards and never managed a kiteloop bomb drop proof lightweight board, always a little bit heavier with more glass/carbon if they were going to last.

having said that there are a few wood core lighter boards around again today and i haven't heard too much about them breaking, but then again there are far less people pile driving themselves into the water kiteboarding today compared to 5 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

w_ndrunner wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a particular brand of board known for being lightweight, without compromising overall durability and performance?

What would be the average weight of boards?

Thanks in advance for your response.

windr

what type of board?
what size? ...bigger board more weight.
for what use? for pure wave or jumping or freestyle?

there is no magic bullit. look at it this way.

Of the three things: price, strength and weight you can have two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 pm 
Rare Poster

would like to know the average weight of twin tip boards in the 137cm to 140 range, used primarily for freeriding...

given airline baggage weight restrictions, i am looking for a light board or is the difference between boards insignificant...

what do you think

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm 
Rare Poster

Underground FLX, Lightest board I've ever had!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
Rare Poster

Take a look at www.brokite.com. On the site they show how they make them using foam wrapped in carbon to make them lively and strong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Pre 2008 I snapped boards from SS, Naish and Nobile (all foam core). I did a lot if research at the time and came to the conclusion that wood core boards are stronger. A lot of people recommended the UG FLX so I brought one in 2008 and haven't snapped it yet. I have since retired my 08 as a spare and have been riding a 2010 FLX for last 2 seasons which is still going strong.

Only downside is their weight, both my FLX are heavier than other boards but I am happy as they are generally a lot stronger :thumb:

I also find 3D top sheets with contours are a weak spot having bent/snapped various boards along the contours :angryfire:

But if you are a normal rider and not a heavy weight like me prone to stomping down hard on your back foot most boards will be more than strong enough.

Just some of my experiences :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Board weight is barely an importance in twintips among modern production boards. People need to realize that light small boards have no clear advantage over a properly sized board for a riders weight.

The last thing I would worry about is weight in a board. I'm 5'5" and 175lbs. I ride 135-140cm board's. I do preferred be a little bigger because of my weight but my narrow stance can he a hindrance on rails at the cable only. Never have had a problem with just riding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am 
Frequent Poster

I choose the lightest gear I can as I travel internationally a lot with my gear, so every gram I shave off helps. Airline baggage allowances are so low nowadays!

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next