Forum for kitesurfers
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby UKSurf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Dimitri M wrote: Also I don't know why other big kite companies have not design such an incredible light wind kite!!! Possibly because of their designer or probably the fact that I am more involved with my customer base. Now you know the secrets or our success.
That is the problem, when people start claiming their kite is alot better than the competitions people are going to start questioning it and trying to refute your claims. Momi is a very good kite designer there is no doubt about that, but there are alot of other people in the industry who know what they are doing. I honestly think the hard sell does not work in the kitesurfing market and has a negative effect on a brands image. You are not selling exercise machines to couch potatoes - although I do think you would be excellent on those late night sales channels :lol:

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Aummm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

ronnie wrote:The speed of the SUP looks high for 2 to 4 knots of wind.
I agree :claps:

While we're at it how about a little mythbusting :rollgrin:
Here is the opportunity and there is no creditable opinion yet from others like Bill Hansen,
if that is really aerodynamically possible to fly & ride an inflatable kite with our current technology :idea:
The concept is really beautiful the way it's been presented with a stoke Dimitri is showing :thumb:
But just believing and watching videos looks like it not really conveying the evidence :argue:
If that is true I believe it should be shared and replicated, not based on just free test flown it & you're stoked about it :nono:

So I'm just asking loud:
. 1) Would it be possible the V3 proto is having such a light fabric that's feasible :?:
. 2) Why nobody else is riding the same combo and speaking out from their experience :?:
. 3) Or why not compared back to back with other riders and other kites for evidence as ronnie is suggesting :?:

:surf:

bobber
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I kite at Wildcat in Portland, TX
Style: intermediate
Gear: Core, Ozone, Crazyfly, Airfush

Postby bobber » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Weren't we going to see a video of the epic and core kites in the air at the same time a couple of days ago? Did I miss it?

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 pm

guess once in a SUP all the lift you need is the one to sustain the kite weight and a tiny bit more for some trust as all the flotation will came from the SUP ..?

maybe even a 7m will fly within the same wind conditions and be able to push a bit once a SUP is added into the equation

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

No, you haven't seen the side by side testing video of the Core vs. Epic kite. 321Kiteboarding should be posting it soon.

Here's a fun vid to watch until then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

YOU keep saying you have nothing to hide.....but in fact there is ONE thing you are hiding

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes you are correct SupaEZ. I do have one thing to hide. I am working on that video as we speak.
By the way thank you for touring me around while I was in Cocoa Beach. I feel like a local now. :thumb:
On the other hand I missed you yesterday while I was doing the EPIC demos. The wind finally showed up and it blew hard but very gusty. These ares some of the pictures from the Cocoa Beach demos that happened yesterday.
Who needs a light wind kite when you get conditions like this.
Attachments
DSC_0015 8.jpg
DSC_0236 1.jpg
image-1 6.jpg
image-3 9.jpg
Dimitri showing what kiting is all about.jpg
DSC_0124 10.jpg
Nick testing the S10 ltd for the first time.jpg
DSC_0160 2.jpg

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Aummm: IMHO, the true measure of light wind performance is upwind VMG(efficiency) which becomes more evident as the wind dimishes. High aspect/high projected area kites are typically better in this regard. Low aspect 'bucket' kites typically sit deeper with grunt and faster turning. There is plenty of middle ground and 'bragging rights' (highly dependent on the board/rider) so the real test is effective upwind VMG.
Cheers! :thumb:
[quote="Aummm"]opinion yet from others like Bill Hansen[/.quote]

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Dimitri showing what kiting is all about.jpg [ 92.16 KIB | Viewed 15 times ]
ahh, the humility!
Just a little tease there ;) looks good as always, but seriously: numbers, numbers, numbers for those lightwind claims. please?
Obviously it was about 4 knots when you were standing on the beach looping 15m + kites...
...it also looked like a couple more knots when both kites were barely/not staying upwind in the beach break. For an older big kite that would mean 9 or 10 knots. For a modern big kite, probably 7. 6? Prove it. With numbers.
Otherwise, we won't know until we buy one right :lol:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:Hi Aummm: IMHO, the true measure of light wind performance is upwind VMG(efficiency) which becomes more evident as the wind dimishes. High aspect/high projected area kites are typically better in this regard. Low aspect 'bucket' kites typically sit deeper with grunt and faster turning. There is plenty of middle ground and 'bragging rights' (highly dependent on the board/rider) so the real test is effective upwind VMG.
Cheers! :thumb:
Aummm wrote:opinion yet from others like Bill Hansen[/.quote]

I thought at 2.22 in this video it was surprising how good Dimitri seemed to be going upwind comparing his line into the gybe with his line out of it - in such light wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”