Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm

http://youtu.be/-nUVmrUUlvw

Great video!

I'm not sure what was proved... or disproved... but that reverse launch in "4kts max steady" wind was awesome!

Doesn't anyone in Florida own a wind meter?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

i think what this video shows for most people is that those two kites work in next to nothing. impressive for both those kites. the core definitely looks like it turns well for a big kite and the infinity seems to have a lot of power of a smaller sized (15-16m?) lightwind specific kite. also, it is very impressive how stable the epic kite looks to be.

kiting in this kind of wind is one of those things where you just pump it up and see if you can get it done. at this threshold, sometimes you can and sometimes you cant. i dont know anybody who actually wants to go "have fun" on a SUP and a kite so those vids dont do much for me and most likely everybody else. but those epic SUP vids do show the extreme low end that the kite can fly in and stay in the air, which is impressive in and of itself.

no real need for me to know the exact wind speed on these vids. its light at shit and most people wouldnt bother even pumping up at this wind speed. so i am impressed nontheless..

good work guys

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:09 am

PMU

U rareley arr mi Heroin off all kighters, sew mutch sew that eye wuz wunderin ef ewe cun towel mi howe meny timz eye shude pumb mi kight fore tha rite ear presha ? :arse:

Wow - are you just amazingly stupid :anon: for real, when it comes to spelling... :whogives:

Does it help me Wackstile, serf, freeryde oar megapooping - fark no :movingbutt:

Does having a million posts - make me a knowledgeable forum kiter - fark no again..

Does make me wonder about the amount of Keyboarding (not kiteboarding) Jack offs there are on here though :anonym:

Like I have already posted and am guilty of riding nearly every brand there is - because where I kite, people are very friendly :cheers: and if someone gets a new kite, then we all have a go on it to see what its really like compared to the hype that EVERY brand uses including the one you ride !

Have I ridden an infinity too ? just read the above again - not forgetting the all the other brands Lw kites as above - for all your spelling skills - you lack memory :ditsch:

Why do I think what Dimitri is doing is a good thing.... because it means someone - is pushing the limits / boundaries of what everyone keeps saying, cant be done.

That means if between himself and Momi, they just happen to find a more efficent way for a tube kite to fly - the ramifications are that all kite brands will have to pull finger or potentially lose out on a massive money making LightWind market in any season - that makes any open waterway or lake in the world kiteable and kites more efficient and stops lazy kitebrands from dumping crap none performing LW kites as recent as in a few years back !!!

I couldnt care less how he or anyone else markets themselves right or wrong because its the end product that counts - and without pushing boundaries wed still be on 2 liners along with the Earth being flat and its preposterous to think that man could ever fly bla bla bla

Just one more thing - guess which big brands buy a kite from their opposition as soon as its released if it has something new about its design or features, dont worry its nothing new that your kite is a mutation of someother brand - apart from the Naish Sigma design, which also flew very well.

So if you think im biased - thats the reason, but your still an idiot blowin out your arse :shit: and thats all that really matters :thumb:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 pm

frankm1960 wrote:http://youtu.be/-nUVmrUUlvw

Great video!

I'm not sure what was proved... or disproved... but that reverse launch in "4kts max steady" wind was awesome!

Doesn't anyone in Florida own a wind meter?
NOPE for wind meter....we are all EYEBALLING it :wink:

I flew the V3 with NO harness (imagine that we don't own that either) on that day.... in 4kn max......
....at that moment in time...strapped into full depower...and bar all the way in sheeted in

Dimitri tried to make me say that it was dropping to 2 or 3...and i say..NO..just steady 4kn :D
He asked me my opinion & i responded: I "approve" this message just like in political commercials

I looped it around in the sky a few times..i had fun with it
....and it stayed up in that steady LW wind flow as i expected (some like to call that blowing :wink: )

So right after this exhausting almost neck breaking looking up at the sky & V3...i got my kite set up

By the time i was all ready to self launch .....it had picked up :-? ...one knot..to 5.7 mph= 5 kn

Goes without saying that i HAD TO put a harness ON

We did a lot of side by side flying...and one time..we nearly took each other out.....
...during a mad synchronized kitelooping showdown

Back to the side by side..on beach..both kites equally..in 5kn max...stayed steady overhead..

Both kites during reverse launch...popped and spun up equally well...no difference

Back stall by pulling on back lines...
...down to the beach in hot launch position.....then launch...equal

Wind picked up it seemed to 6kn or 7kn...ON THE SAND..so we tried to go on the water

We both could NOT go more than one dive or two...then kept sinking/stopping
That onshore east wind was LESS in the water than on beach..the power was 5-6kn max

So back on the beach for heel dragging with sharp kite dives and loops...again and again....

Then on the beach it FELT like 8-9kn....so in the water it had to be 7-8kn...so we went back out

We both did much better..but had to work the kite just a little bit...starting to be fun

Then on the water the wind increased to 8kn steady...maybe some 9kn puffs

Dimitri chose to ride the inside shallow beach slick with kite slightly over the sand...
...and he did one nice LW backspin transition...but there was not quite enough water to keep going

I chose to ride in deeper water and managed to get upwind of some small breakers.....
....i did a regular jump w/kite loop..a forward 1 1/2 downloop to toeside transition.....
....a regular port tack backspin off a 2 ft. wave..a toeside forward 1 1/2 downloop to heelside

ALL in ALL we both killed it in onshore sub 10kn LW...in mini surf..using "our favorite" LW gear

321 KITEBOARDING will soon put out a VIDEO....
..... with an other perspective of the "small very amicable ambassador ultra LW showdown"

.......................................... :cheers: .... :boxing: .... :duel: ...... :surf: :sun: :mail: ............................

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm

SupaEZ wrote: ...

ALL in ALL we both killed it in onshore sub 10kn LW...in mini surf..using "our favorite" LW gear

321 KITEBOARDING will soon put out a VIDEO....
..... with an other perspective of the "small very amicable ambassador ultra LW showdown"

.......................................... :cheers: .... :boxing: .... :duel: ...... :surf: :sun: :mail: ............................
GOOD ENDING
to what started out as being a Hostile Thread !

And you Guys ended up being Friends ; that, "IS", the Best part !!!

I'm Also Glad that --321-- got involved, they represent CORE KITES , a Good
choice of brands to back in this industry ; as also is EPIC !!

Bille

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

All sounds like fun.
You were on a North Freerace board or a North Surfboard, I assume?
Did Dimtiri have a second Oxygen TT available, so you could equalize the boards?
Your lineset was 27 meters, Dimitri had 22 meters, better if they were the same.
I don't think your 164 pounds and Dimitri's 180 pounds made much of a difference.

Did 14Toeside ever get a chance to kite the Infinity's on Thursday?

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:04 am

I have just one question. Why Why Why Why (well maybe 4) on earth would you even consider in any way shape or form to launch a kite like that falling out of the sky that close to a major highway. Do you know the location you were at. That slick is named after the highway you are on.

Prove your point, this is deifinitely interesting to read and Im going to avoid taking sides. But what if that kite went to 12 and then dropped on the street?

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:19 am

@supaEZ... thanks for that recap... looks like you guys had tons of fun... what a gorgeous beach to kite on :) Looking forward to watching the video from 123 :thumb:

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 am

SupaEz - as it turned out, you both had a fun time messing about in Very light winds... For some kiters who are land locked and travel a few hours to water, i think it would be a must have kite in their quiver so not to be disapointed if the 'beach wind on your face is light' etc no wind meters or graphs applicable..
When i used to windsurf on not enough wind days, wed pull out the old 12 footer and just mess around or see how many kids we could fit on it :) Ive allready done this with a Sup board just having fun in small waves and quite few other kiters came up n wanted a play on it too - purely from the "fun" factor which is what I think should always be the main Marketing factor in light wind kites... 'The kite pulls like a train' - compared to 'its a fun kite to fly' etc

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am

Great recap Supa.
I guess that was that for the 2-4 knots kiting claim for now. I am sure some other person will try again at some point. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”