Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: Advise: 9M 2013 North Fuse or 9M Ozone Edge

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Just for the record, as you mentioned, the 2013 Fuse isn't out yet, and as far as I'm aware no one besides North testers have ridden it yet. There is one heading to Baja right now for some demo events, but that's about it. I've been told that the 2013 has some significant changes from 2012.
As to the 2012, it is definitely the best jumping kite I've ever flown, but I cannot compare it to the Edge... I have only spent a short time on the Edge and any kite requires time to adjust to.

Any chance you can make it to a demo event or hook up with a local shop somewhere before you purchase? If you're considering the 2013 Fuse you've got a couple months before it's released anyway. Asking for brand X vs brand Y advice here is silly as many people have ulterior motives to promote or detract from one brand or another.

Wish I could help more.

-Dan

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks Dan, I know the crowd here and I'm able to sort through the data.

Have you spent any time on the 2013 Evo?

Thoughts as a stable, gust busting, freeride kite for complimenting a quiver with light wind and wave kites in place?

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:26 pm

I don't have much experience on the 2013 Evo... A couple sessions is all. But I have gotten some feedback on it. I have absolutely nothing on the 2013 Fuse, though hope to get more info soon. I can make a few generalizations about how I think the Fuse will generally compare to the Evo though...

In general I think that either of those kites should fit the bill. I think the Fuse will give you a little more depower to handle the gusts... The Evo, being a delta kite, will tend to have a bit more grunt when it gets lighter, but it'll also pull a bit more even when depowered as the wind picks up.

For me, the deciding factor would be unhooking... If you plan to stay hooked in, I think the Fuse might be the better option... It generally outjumps the Evo (or anything else in the North lineup). It works well in waves, and it deals well with gusts, and is a great freeride kite.

The Evo will be significantly better for unhooking, and it will still jump well (I've heard the 2013 Evo jumps better than previous years, and I've never heard any complaints about those previous years to begin with) and be a comfortable kite when hooked in, but I think the Fuse will have the edge if you're spending most or all of your time hooked in.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I currently have a quiver of fuses. I've only flown an edge once, but i found it pretty similar in flying characteristics to my old OR rises in the sense that it flew very forward in the window (higher aspect). Jumps and float on the rise was great. My only knock on them was transitions, which always seemed to have a lull in power midway thru. I always attributed to the fact that it liked to be very forward in the window, and so lost power for a moment as it came around. I don't know if edges suffer that same trait. The fuses fly a touch further back in the window (but still pretty forward), which fixed the transition power issue so i rip thru powered transitions and makes them much more fun in waves. They are just an absolute joy to fly. The height and glide are the same as my rises, which is to say they are the best jumping kites i've tried. it feels like i'm cheating. and they're way more stable in general than the rises, so just an overall great kite. I can't be certain, but i think i've developed a telepathic link with the 10m.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 pm

kitegrommet wrote:Thanks Dan, I know the crowd here and I'm able to sort through the data.

Have you spent any time on the 2013 Evo?

Thoughts as a stable, gust busting, freeride kite for complimenting a quiver with light wind and wave kites in place?

I have flown the fuse but not the 2013, I have flown the 2013 rebel, and the 2013 edge...And well being that I used to be a Ozone athlete and now I am North athlete I have some input.

First The edge flys alot like my Dynos If you want to compare a North Kite to a Ozone edge that is the correct one. These two kite have very similiar traights and need to be flown as high aspect kites. Both the edge and the Dyno jump high and float a ton.But they are both very tricky to fly if you do not have race kite experance. For me personally these smaller size kites are not the feel I prefer, In 13m and larger sizes having a High aspect race style kites is fun but once you start getting after it on little kite, mistakes on these high aspect race kites result in massive punishment with hug impacts and violent yanking.

The Fuse and rebel platform is much friendlier than either of the race shapes Dyno or Edge, the kite has a slightly softer feel then the higer aspect kites, It is similar in performance, it rides forward in the window has great pull around the entire window boost and floats well. There is no kite in the Ozone line that compares to these kites and while the edge may be the closest. You would have to blend on with a c-4 to have a similar feeling. I think the Rebel/fuse platform is just a much more friendly kite that you can use in the smaller sizes, It works in waves, freestyle, sort of unhooked, unless you are super rad at unhooked stuff, Flatwater, and with a race board I can get out on my 12m rebel while others are using twin tip and 17m. The fuse rips and I love the ease of use. I would try any kite you can before you buy it, but I have not seen anyone disapointed with the fuse.

The Ozone has a very short throw, and turn on or off in a short stroke while the Fuse uses a longer throw, Both kites have adjustments to effect bar feel.
Attachments
North Van.jpg

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 pm

Thanks Dan and Billy, i appreciate the effort to provide feedback.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12 am

Well I was out in some terrible wind the other day, we had the most unusual lows coming through combined with a high in the Aussie bight. The gusts were over 10 knots, the edge just seemed to soak them up. Yeh you have to be able to use your body weight and edging to control the increases apparent wind, but it didn't shoot forward and back as you would expect from a high aspect kite.

Again I can't comment on the fuse, but I ride side by side with my bro who has my 2012 rebel. He is really starting to dial in the rebel now and is having a blast. We swap kites nearly every session for a bit of fun. An 11m for an 11m. He always gets off the edge and says if he had the money ( buying a house at the moment) he would get on the edges. Just a more refined beautiful wing.

Not sure about the more friendlier tag, depends on how you look at it really. If you know how to edge, how to use your body weight, how to turn apparent wind into speed and height then in some way the edge to me is 'friendlier' as you don't need to move the kite much. It's all about board and weight control. I was turned off edges for years due to the tag of these kites being hard to handle due to its apparent wind build up, speed control etc, but I'm from the old school days and when I finally got on one I was kicking myself for not doing it earlier. Don't know what the fuss is all about, I find the control and ease of control of this kite the easiest I've ever been on! It is a soft controlled feel, yet with enormous grunt. I'm only 74kg and was out in 19 to 23 knots yesterday with no depower, never felt uncomfortable at all. Rode at speed and got some big air. Could have gone more no problems. Then again it was a beautiful summer breeze with no holes whatsoever!

But we all are prone to justifying what we fly now. Either kite would suite you well. The fuse is indeed a bloody great free ride kite (from talking to guys I know that fly them) and they boost big.

The fuse would be the safest option as the edge does have a characteristically different feel.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:13 am

Westozzy wrote:.

The fuse would be the safest option as the edge does have a characteristically different feel.
Yup Dyno and Edge are comparable.. I really dont like the little sizes though, the 11 is the magic one in the edge..my favorite size edge for sure! Fuse or Rebel, are a different style kite. The Ozones are great kites for sure but so are the North..I think it is becuase they both have wise kite shapers with real experance over time...Hats off to them both.

I just have to say what a joy it was to post a picture that, Miltsface Took over the summer in the gorge While I was in Dan's Van...It was like a perfect storm photo in a kite thread with three of the posters...!!!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

Dan-at-North wrote:Just for the record, as you mentioned, the 2013 Fuse isn't out yet, and as far as I'm aware no one besides North testers have ridden it yet. There is one heading to Baja right now for some demo events, but that's about it. I've been told that the 2013 has some significant changes from 2012.
As to the 2012, it is definitely the best jumping kite I've ever flown, but I cannot compare it to the Edge... I have only spent a short time on the Edge and any kite requires time to adjust to.

Any chance you can make it to a demo event or hook up with a local shop somewhere before you purchase? If you're considering the 2013 Fuse you've got a couple months before it's released anyway. Asking for brand X vs brand Y advice here is silly as many people have ulterior motives to promote or detract from one brand or another.

Wish I could help more.

-Dan
Hi,

The 2013 Fuse is out since a few months.
Can anyone compare the 2012 Fuse and 2013 Fuse please?
Can the micro loop still be installed on the new bar? I heard North stopped the micro loop holes in the bars?
Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”