Forum for kitesurfers
SaaR
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Torch kite is only for freestyle ?

Postby SaaR » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 am

The torch kite by naish, do u think this kite is only for freestyle ?
or u can also enjoy in the freeride and the high jumps when hooked, high speed\up wind abilities\waveriding , etc..

Thanks
Saar
Last edited by SaaR on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Torch kite is only for freestyle ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 am

SaaR wrote:The torch kite by naish, do u think this kite is only for freestyle ?
or u can also enjoy in the freeride and the high jumps when hooked, high speed\up wind abilities , etc..

Thanks
Saar
No problem - it works great for freeride and high jumps and speed and upwind :thumb:

Only in the small sizes - waveriding can be more tricky (but depending on your style), and it does not fit the bill as perfect here, as depowerable SLE kites :-?

But in big sizes up around 10m2 and more, it is great in waves too :rollgrin:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 am

I think it is great in waves..well the smallest I have ridden is 7..and that not that much. 9 more...11 ius killer.

Note for me one of the spots I ride is notoriously gusty and I find it a little harder to ride it strapless there. I can go very powered even strapless but when it is gusty it is a little harder.

For hooked freeride it is super fun BUT again, the torch is a little harder to casual loop. You gotta be a little bit more on it. Once you lose concentration while looping it teach you to be a man and suck it up.

..overall the kite is very controllable and super predictable. Super fun.

windsurfer-resurrection

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 pm

No the Naish Torch is not a good wave kite. If you look back to around 2005 or whenever, lost track of time, then yes it was, but has been passed by other designs.

Also to consider when purchasing a new kite is the warranty.

The Naish Warranty is only good for nintey days and you need to register within seven days of purchase(not valid in California, no registration required by law).

Other brands have six month or a year long warranty.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 pm

been out in all sorts of waves on torch (mostly 10m), it's stable, you can hook it in front of u no problem as you ride and doesn't fall out the sky too easy, and has huge depower for a c especially if you take toggle off up put it up super high.

It is one of the most depowerable c kites i have ridden. sometimes the y bridle does cause stress when kites ends up in it /lines inside out, you gotta get back to shore and rerig up if it does not sort it self out flagged out - but that is not too often.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 am

windsurfer-resurrection wrote:No the Naish Torch is not a good wave kite. If you look back to around 2005 or whenever, lost track of time, then yes it was, but has been passed by other designs.
Do you care to explain what you mean? OP is asking if you can ride the kite in waves or do hooked freeriding....not can you ride it but it is a good wave kite. It is a ripper in regular riding, but maybe a little more aggressive than most flat kites...which is a characteristic the torch shares with other c-kites.

I am wondering if you have ridden it lately? In waves?

Surely you are talking about preferences for flat kites, not that torch is a bad kite huh?

The kite drifts well, even in side on, turns fast, and has good solid power and is predictable. I'd say the 2013 and 2012, are super good.

SaaR
Rare Poster

Postby SaaR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 am

Thank you for all your comments its sounds a great kite !
Do u know how is the relanuch from water of this kite ?
Thanks again

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 am

SaaR wrote:Thank you for all your comments its sounds a great kite !
Do u know how is the relanuch from water of this kite ?
Thanks again

Super easy relaunch as it has 5th line :thumb: Although 5th line isn't good if you drop the kite and it rolls or gets taken by a wave :x

On flat water I can usually get out of a 5th line tie and fly kite back to shore to rerig but no chance in waves

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 am

IMO it is a lousy wavekite, no doubt at all :x

Of course it is usable - every kite is, but good as a wavekite ? Never :-?

As said - in bigger sizes it does not matter what kite type you ride, as "everything goes" well here.

And if you go "park and ride" (but only a few percent and mostly noone does that here) it does not matter that much either, with the smaller ones.

But for general overall waveriding when windy, the Torch sucks IMO.

For everything else, an awesome kite :rollgrin:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:IMO it is a lousy wavekite, no doubt at all :x

Of course it is usable - every kite is, but good as a wavekite ? Never :-?

As said - in bigger sizes it does not matter what kite type you ride, as "everything goes" well here.

And if you go "park and ride" (but only a few percent and mostly noone does that here) it does not matter that much either, with the smaller ones.

But for general overall waveriding when windy, the Torch sucks IMO.

For everything else, an awesome kite :rollgrin:

so how do you explain that it was Reo's kite of choice for waves when he was riding for Naish? I think personal preference is a huge factor here...like anything, but saying it is generically a lousy wave kite seems off.

Whenever I ride in steady side to side off, even sometime side on, the torch is really nice in wave. Sure it is better for park and ride, but it can certainly hold its own if you like to move a little. I am curious on why you feel it is a lousy wave kite? Isn't conditions and preference at least as big of a factor here as anything else?

That said, my most used kite is the park, but even if I don't like for instance the evo for waves, I am not claiming it is a lousy wave kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”