Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Forum for kitesurfers
Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Postby Manuel V » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 am

14ToeSide wrote:The Dyno does not pull like a truck. The FL pulled like a truck. Again, I may not have had it set correctly. However, the designer said it DOES have a fair amount of bar pressure.

Pulling like a Truck to me means its trying to take u downwind. The Dyno does not do that.

If I were u, I would try the Fly before u decide.

I have flown the 14M trigger (smaller brother to the Lady) and felt it had MORE Raw power then the 17 FL. MAY be one of the Best 14Ms I have ever flown. U want fast turning: take the 14 out.
14ToeSide,

Interesting your comments because I was thinking that maybe a 17 M would be to much kite for my weight, 160 lbs. I understand that a 17 M no matter how fast can be it still a 17 M and can't be as fast as a 12M................

So for riders below 175 lbs may be a 14M or a 15M with a great low end can work on the 8-10 knots with a TT?

I had a 14 M lithium 2012 and the high end was really low for my weight, at 16 knots I was overpower and need to switch to my 10 M. But the 2012 lithium 14M don't have the low end of 7 to 8 knots that Airush wind range table says for the 2013 14 M lithium with a TT. I can't run my TT below 10 knots with the lithium 14M so I end selling the Lithium 14M.

I would like to hear comments on how you compare the low end, bar pressure and speed of the Blade Trigger 14 M, the Naish Fly 15M or any other 14M or 15M............

Thanks!

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:04 am

I've never understood why people say when you are a certain weight you only need a certain size smaller kite. At least when talking light wind kiting. The bigger kite will always get you going sooner. A 17m Fat Lady will get anyone going in lighter wind than a 14m Trigger. The top end is the problem though.

For example, a 155 pound rider will get on the water in 2-3 mph less on the Fat Lady than on the Trigger, but will lose at least that much on the high wind end. If the rider is 255 pounds, the Fat Lady will still get the person riding in 2-3 mph less wind than the 14m Trigger.

If the person really is focused on the light wind end, the bigger kite is always the way to go.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to different brands/models of kites. I'm talking apples to apples comparisons not a North Dyno vs. a Cabrinha Chaos or something. I'm talking Trigger to Fat Lady (which are similar). The same is true for a 17m Ozone Edge vs. a 15m Ozone Edge etc.

- Droffats

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Manuel V wrote:
14ToeSide wrote:The Dyno does not pull like a truck. The FL pulled like a truck. Again, I may not have had it set correctly. However, the designer said it DOES have a fair amount of bar pressure.

Pulling like a Truck to me means its trying to take u downwind. The Dyno does not do that.

If I were u, I would try the Fly before u decide.

I have flown the 14M trigger (smaller brother to the Lady) and felt it had MORE Raw power then the 17 FL. MAY be one of the Best 14Ms I have ever flown. U want fast turning: take the 14 out.
14ToeSide,

Interesting your comments because I was thinking that maybe a 17 M would be to much kite for my weight, 160 lbs. I understand that a 17 M no matter how fast can be it still a 17 M and can't be as fast as a 12M................

So for riders below 175 lbs may be a 14M or a 15M with a great low end can work on the 8-10 knots with a TT?

I had a 14 M lithium 2012 and the high end was really low for my weight, at 16 knots I was overpower and need to switch to my 10 M. But the 2012 lithium 14M don't have the low end of 7 to 8 knots that Airush wind range table says for the 2013 14 M lithium with a TT. I can't run my TT below 10 knots with the lithium 14M so I end selling the Lithium 14M.

I would like to hear comments on how you compare the low end, bar pressure and speed of the Blade Trigger 14 M, the Naish Fly 15M or any other 14M or 15M............

Thanks!

Yep found exactly the same with my 14m lithuim and sold it to.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 pm

droffats wrote:I've never understood why people say when you are a certain weight you only need a certain size smaller kite. At least when talking light wind kiting.
Droffats
You are correct...my 110lbs wife :hotchic: LOVES 17m starting at 8kn...
... in the ocean with her surfboard to have lots of fun and ride the surf

Her kite by it's shape and design (on 27m lines).....
..... depowers in such a way that she can remain out EZ even if the wind peaks to 14kn

It is her all time favorite LW kite....she has been kitesurfing now for 10 years

Her next "go to" kite is a 10m on 25m lines..........she says that she feels is NO gap..in that set-up

NJOY's :kiss: 17 is a Core Riot XR2 LW.....and her 10 is a North Rebel

...................................... :surf: :sun: ....................................................................................................

NJOY
Medium Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: gear

Postby NJOY » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm

@ Supa-hubby,

Yes, all true. The Core 17M is by far my favorite so far in very light wind...very light bar pressure even when I am overpowered. It does not pull like a truck, ever. But, I haven't tried everything yet. :naughty:
Next to the Core, I would probably say I liked the Dyno so far...for the same reasons but IMO the Core turned faster. Hated the ram air years...ugh!
I would try an Epic as long as I was not videotaped right after I tried it. :wink: :bye:

Really, my 10meter North Rebel and whip surfboard is my favorite set up in light wind. I can use that gear starting around 9 knots. But who cares? Not the majority of kiteforum. Only light weights--other girls, kids, or small animals like squirrels or small puppies...
If you are my weight, which is not 110 lbs, (sorry Supa, but I have been eating a lot of the fudge I made for Christmas gifts) you can kiteboard in extremely light wind. But, can you have fun?? Supa and Dimitri are having fun because they really love light wind. Maybe they were twins separated at birth...My definition of fun because I am a small person is when I can jump easily and not fall like a rock so light wind fun = 9-10 knots.

Fun for me would also be that I could ride waves even if the wind was super light. I am not nearly as good at waveriding as Supa so I will always try to use my Rebel 10 if I can. It's still going to turn faster and I don't feel pulled off the wave like a bigger kite. Maybe once my waveriding skills improve, maybe that won't be as much of an issue.

My new philosophy for 2013 will be to work less and play more! Yoo-hoo!

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Vikb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Blade Fat Lady 17m kite and Airush Choptop 5'4" strapless surfboard. It can be lonely kiting with the Fat Lady! :wink: :jump:

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:36 pm

droffats wrote:I've never understood why people say when you are a certain weight you only need a certain size smaller kite. At least when talking light wind kiting. The bigger kite will always get you going sooner. A 17m Fat Lady will get anyone going in lighter wind than a 14m Trigger. The top end is the problem though.

For example, a 155 pound rider will get on the water in 2-3 mph less on the Fat Lady than on the Trigger, but will lose at least that much on the high wind end. If the rider is 255 pounds, the Fat Lady will still get the person riding in 2-3 mph less wind than the 14m Trigger.

If the person really is focused on the light wind end, the bigger kite is always the way to go.

- Droffats
I understand your point but, I think if is possible run in a 8-10 knots with a 15M why
go to a 17 or a 19 M? :thumb:
Totally agree that the 17 M or 19M has a better lower end but they would be a lot much slower kites and lighter kiters would be overpower easy if wind picks up. As you mention the top end is a problem for lighter kiters. If we go with a smaller LW kite that top end would be higher.

I would like to try a Fat Lady to see how fast they are but where I live there is no Blade distributor. :( and I have the Fat lady on my list but after all the comments from the forum members the options of differents LW kites is more open now.
For example after all the comments looks that the Naish Fly and Epic Infinity are 15 M kites that are design for LW and probably have a wind range that can benefit more to lighter riders.

Jinx
Rare Poster

Postby Jinx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am

The Blade FL would probably be the easiest LEI to keep in the air due to it light weight construction, it has very thin struts and only three of them. i would class it as very fast for a 17m and you can easily generate power from its speed. I like it above the other kites mentions as its a fun kite to fly even in light stuff, the turning speed of the other kites sends me to sleep.

I would not say the FL pulls like a truck, if you are feeling this i would suggest trying a different setting or you are probably over sheeting the kite. light wind kiting is an art that not everyone is capable of, you need to have good kite skills and a great understanding of sheeting and sailing to make it all work well.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 am

Jinx wrote:The Blade FL would probably be the easiest LEI to keep in the air due to it light weight construction, it has very thin struts and only three of them. i would class it as very fast for a 17m and you can easily generate power from its speed. I like it above the other kites mentions as its a fun kite to fly even in light stuff, the turning speed of the other kites sends me to sleep.

I would not say the FL pulls like a truck, if you are feeling this i would suggest trying a different setting or you are probably over sheeting the kite. light wind kiting is an art that not everyone is capable of, you need to have good kite skills and a great understanding of sheeting and sailing to make it all work well.
Which setting do you get best up wind ability from with a FL?

leightong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beadnell Bay North easty England
Favorite Beaches: Budle Bay, Beadnell Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m
Nobile Koinobori 12m + 9m
Nobile N62 (m + 7m
Shinn Gintronic
Spleene Door 59

Postby leightong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

The FL like the triggers has 2 front bridle settings. The standard setting is closest to the wing tips but using the 'inner' setting sits it further forward in the window with a little loss in power....but only a little. :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”