Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Global Speed Ranking 2013.

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Global Speed Ranking 2013.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

After some discussion with Rachael Miller, owner of Stormboarding and host of the original Stormboarding World Speed Ranking we have decided to continue the tradition here at Hardwater Kiting.

This is strictly for fun, GPS measured and is based on just "flat out" GPS measured top speeds. No measured courses, no average 10 sec runs, just a GPS in you pocket and your best top speed at the end of you session. Participation in the Stormboarding ranking was strong and world wide. After Stormboarding closed their doors in pursuit of more noble ventures like saving the oceans (www.rozaliaproject.org) there was a hole left for those who had participated in the ranking. We hope to fill that void and give people from around the world interested in pushing thier personal limits as well as some friendly competition a venue to compete with others, around the globe or in thier own back yards.

We encourage you to submit any speeds you have.

The contest starts Dec. 31st 2012. Please check out http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/snowkite- ... rules.html for rules and submission details.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

We look forward to seeing you in the ranking.
Attachments
HWKGSR.jpg
HWKGSR.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 3938 times

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hardwater Kiting Snowkite Global Speed Ranking 2013.

Postby SaulOhio » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:02 am

Do you know of any good, inexpensive GPS units, maybe without a map display, but one that will log my tracks? I have a Garmin that works OK, but I see that for speeds over 60, you want logs from more than one unit.

I have had problems with my GPS units shutting down on me in really cold weather, too. Any advice on that? Having them too deep in my clothing so they stay warm sometimes leads to lost signal.

PS: I am hoping to break 60 this winter.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:55 pm

there are a number of ph apps theres days. Thats the cheapest option. I use mytracks. its free.

i also use a cheap garmin. both ph and garmin usually have the same top speeds give or take a 1kph. so i'm saticfied that the app is accurate.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Hey Saul, Anything over 60mph requires submission of the GPS data file. Anything ABOVE 70MPH requires data from at least 2 sources, preferably 3 if possible.

As far as GPS units go many of us are using Garmin units. Etrex Legends, Fortrex and Forerunner 201 and 301 units. I carry a Foretrex, a GT-31 and my Transcend GPS goggles from Recon Instruments. All the units I've mentioned have excellent battery life, are downloadable and work pretty far below thier recommended operating temperatures. They are also water resistant.

As Plummet stated there are numerous smartphone applications available for GPS tracking. At this time there is still a lot of debate as to thier accuracy, especially when using GPS only and unable to triangulate using cell coverage. As many of us ride in areas that have no cell coverage we have opted not to accept cell phones as measuing devices in this ranking. \

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions please don't hesistate to ask.

criznach
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby criznach » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:46 am

You might try bundling them next to a hand warmer in your pocket.

SaulOhio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mentor Headlands
Edgewater
Conneaut harbor
Fairport Harbor
Simms Park
Favorite Beaches: Kite Point in the Outer Banks
Gear: Slingshot Turbines, RPMs and SSTs.
Slingshot Misfit 132, Glide.
Home built hydrofoils.
Ozone R1's, 17M, 13M, 10M, 7M

Postby SaulOhio » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 am

Hardwaterkiter: Yes, I know. I've read the rules.

One GPS unit brand to stay away from is Lowrance. The big, friendly, easy to use buttons get pushed by accident when its in your pocket, all your setting get mixed up and you lose your data. It even gets turned off. If I use it, I'll probably find some way to package it so those %#&*! buttons don't get pushed.

I have been looking at cheap, $50 - $60 dollar "backtrack" units. They look like they won't save your tracks, just save your previous location and help you get back to it. Anyone know of anything less expensive that will just save your track data?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah Criznach has a good point. Handwarmers help a lot with function and battery life when it gets wicked cold. The problem with GPS units is they need a fairly clean shot at the sky to work accurately. If for example you carry in a chest pocket and you are tucking all the time your data can get messed up. I keep mine in a shoulder mounted pocket and a thigh pocket. Handwarmer with arm one when its really cold.

Garmin Etrex legends can be had for about $50 on ebay. The problem with the Etrex is they don't have a USB data cable. You have to be able to plug it into a serial connector and find an older computer that has a serial port for a printer. Not sure if the cable comes with the unit or not, I can't remember.

They make a USB adaptor. I have one, never got it to work.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:08 pm

HWK: Thanks for hosting this this year. I look forward to submitting a few fun entries this year after scaring myself with some speed runs on gusty days last year.

I use an older but very accurate Garmin 60csx. It maps and records tracks. $200 on amazon.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 am

Looking forward to seeing you in the ranking Matt. :D

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

The HWK Global Snowkite Ranking is active as of today so if you have a gps, take it out when you go play and let us know what your up to out there. :D

Any questions please feel free to ask either here, via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Chr ... BikeGuides

or through the website http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/index.html

We look forward to hearing from you and good luck. :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”