Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Bullet - any feedback on this board?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Bullet - any feedback on this board?

Postby Pierrot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Any feedback available on the new Naish Bullet board?
I will be in the market for a light wind directional board in the spring so I'm starting some research, and can't find info on this one... beside the expensive price :cry:

Only a couple of pics available on the web, but no test or review from real riders.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Bullet - any feedback on this board?

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:20 pm

I've demoed this board a few times. In light wind and in very strong wind. It definitely works in light winds, it even works for mushier waves. I think the board itself places itself between the free raceboard, and a surfboard. It is not as surfy as the fish, but the fins makes sure it can take a lot more range. Dropping in on mushy waves is really fun, and the drive you get off the fins is great, but it is obviously not as snappy as a more traditional surfboard.

The board handles choppy conditions a lot better than big surfboards. I did not try the board in ultralight conditions.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks.
Do you know how it compares to some of the competitors in terms of low-end and upwind ability?
Compared to the Nugget, Subwoofer... Or a freerace board like the sector

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Pierrot wrote:Thanks.
Do you know how it compares to some of the competitors in terms of low-end and upwind ability?
Compared to the Nugget, Subwoofer... Or a freerace board like the sector
Well I have not ridden the nugget..i have ridden nugget like boards, and I have ridden the sector, but not side by side. It definitely falls in that category. I would assume, due to fins that the bullet goes upwind better than the nugget..it will definitely be much easier to control in higher speeds and chop, but maybe not quite as well in ultralight wind as the sector...it seems a little slimmer in the tail. The bullet is easier to ride.

I think the nugget falls more in the fish category..is looks a little more surfy..it has regular fins. The bullet have a higher fun factor IMO than the sector. To me the sector is a raceboard that doesn't perform well...yeah I know people will string my up for saying that, but if you go towards the race board..then just get a real raceboard. Many of the new olympic sized raceboards are easy to ride. :-)

Bullet is a freeride lightwind board that can actually be fun in waves because it has a more surfy outline than the sector. So to me on a scale from surf to lightwind performance, the bullet would be square in the middle between the nugget and sector. I cannot remember if the fins were FCS compatible, but if they are I think the board has a huge potential to be even more fun.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:35 am

Seems like the right board for what I need :D
Did you test the 5.0 or 5.4? For me (83kg) i'm thinking the 5.4 will be better.

Also, do you remember the fin sizes for front and back fins? (Seems there are 2 different sizes from the pic above). And they don't seem bigger than the nugget fins... At least not the nugget I tried.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:14 am

Pierrot wrote:Seems like the right board for what I need :D

Also, do you remember the fin sizes for front and back fins? (Seems there are 2 different sizes from the pic above). And they don't seem bigger than the nugget fins... At least not the nugget I tried.
Pierrot wrote:Seems like the right board for what I need :D

I think, the one I rode was the 5'4'' InitiuallY thought I had tried both, but I am not 100% sure. I tried it on two different occasions, so that is why I am not 100% sure.

Usually the big fins go int he front. That is the norm for any quad setup, but then again there are no laws saying you have to do it that way. I am guessing that if the fin box allows it the board will be a lot more surfy if you try it either with smaller fins or maybe even just as a twin fin.

Let me know how it goes. I am thinking about a new light wind board, but can't really make up my mind between the bullit, fish and a custom simmons board. Then again I will barely make it outside the next 3 months so I'm not sure if doing that right now is a great idea :-)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 am

You're not just saying it's better than the Nugget cos you're a Naish fan and prefer surfboards, are you Taut? Would someone like me, looking for a lightwind board for fun that isn't a raceboard and can't surf, still have fun with it?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:49 am

Kamikuza wrote:You're not just saying it's better than the Nugget cos you're a Naish fan and prefer surfboards, are you Taut? Would someone like me, looking for a lightwind board for fun that isn't a raceboard and can't surf, still have fun with it?
no no I am not saying it is better than the nugget that would depend on what you are looking for... As I said above I have not even ridden the nugget. I've ridden nugget like boards...but not the same.

I am saying it is different as far as I can see the nugget is slightly more geared towards surf and this slightly more towards light wind cruising. I'd say the fish is better compared to the nugget.

I am quite sure that the bigger bullet will be a little better than the nugget in lightwinds, but again no way for me to really know that. It really depends on what you are looking for.

:-)
edit: I think you would like it. Look here is my approach to boards. I love all sorts of different types of boards, for different types of riding. Using a huge wide board for big waves though is like using a hammer to cut down a tree..it is just the wrong tool. The ONLY boards I have had a dislike for are some boards that felt they had something wrong with them for kiting. For instance I borrowed a friends lightwind board, and it felt like riding in glue. The board was a surfboard made for small waves, and had way too much toe in on the fins. It was probably okay for surfing small waves. the fins would help break the speed down a little and keep the rider in the pocket better, but when you are kiting in lightwinds you do not want your board to suck unnecessary energy from you :-)

I think the bullet is great for light wind cruising, small waves...you can use it when the wind and chop picks up a lot better than boards meant for surf and light wind...

It is definitely controllable in high speeds...one of the times I demoed it was at a race, and the board was fun going really really fast. Big fins means you can kind of ride it like a raceboard, but without the strain on your ankles. I rode it over here in sloppy surf, it was fun to make the drop but a little harder to make solid bottom turns on it...but I would think that is a problem with all the big surfboards...especially the ones with wide tails.

edit2: this is why I usually tend to not comment on otherboards..even if I have ridden them...it is so easy to misunderstand my intention.. so usually I'll keep the comment to board I know really well and like :-)

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 am

From the picture of the board it appears that it has the 3 footstrap option - a nice surprise; this is not obvious from the Naish website (wish they had more detailed information about their boards). But from the second picture it looks that only 2 footstraps are supplied with the board. Does anybody know if there is any information about fin sizes?

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Has thanked: 0

Postby xray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 am

Rode the Fish, have a Nugget.
Lightwind almost nothing can keep up with the Nugget. To me it was so much more livelier than the Fish as well. Shoots upwind too..

Return to “Kitesurfing”