Forum for kitesurfers
KiteCancun247
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about travelling with kites

Postby KiteCancun247 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Going to be flying from Mexico to Florida next year, and again from Mexico to Michigan in the summer 2013 on American Airlines.

I have a travel bag that is "golf club size". Question is; is there normally any extra charge assuming I bring it within the normal checked bag limit number of bags?

If they find out it is kite equipment and not golf clubs would there be a charge?

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Re: Question about travelling with kites

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:10 am

KiteCancun247 wrote:Going to be flying from Mexico to Florida next year, and again from Mexico to Michigan in the summer 2013 on American Airlines.

I have a travel bag that is "golf club size". Question is; is there normally any extra charge assuming I bring it within the normal checked bag limit number of bags?

If they find out it is kite equipment and not golf clubs would there be a charge?
If you read American Airlines checked baggage policy (on their website) you will see Kitesurfing Gear listed at the very top. They charge $100 one way. However, here are two ways to avoid the charge.

See how much a first class upgrade will cost. The last time I flew on American I upgraded for $40 and if you fly First Class then your checked baggage is free.

If you choose not to do this then check in at curb side. The curb side guys usually miss this gear and will think it is golf clubs in which case your first two bags fly free. If they catch it and start to talk about the $100 fee tell them you will give them $50 tip if they check it through. I have applied 1 of the 3 scenarios above each time I travel with my gear and have avoided the fee each time now.

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:28 pm

I traveled with the golf bag from Cabo Mexico to SF & they opened it right in front of the counter for inspection and they did not even care. I think it will only be the US side that is looking to charge for everything. I never been charged for the gear every time I travel, but I'm sure I'll get tagged one day. Just wear a silly golf hat and tie an old putter to the outside. You have to admit that the golf bag doesn't even look like one ( it even has Naish written on it - the guys in Hawaii can spot it a mile away) Good Luck.....

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Been using my Mystic Golf bag for 5 years now and never been charged. Always tell them it is golf, even if there is no golf course where you go.

3 weeks ago coming back from Cuba the guys asked me where I was playing in Santa Lucia knowing there is no golf course. I told them that I was just practicing in the field behind the hotels; gave them each 5 pesos and it was the end of it.

Jules

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:01 pm

KiteCancun247 wrote:Going to be flying from Mexico to Florida next year, and again from Mexico to Michigan in the summer 2013 on American Airlines.

Put on your biggest smile and keep it under 50lbs. And you should be ok.
I travel quite a bit and hve never had a problem or extra charge.
The curb check seems to help some. If they ask you how many clubs, I just say none.
Enjoy your travel.
Phil

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:58 pm

It's unfortunate American is such sticklers for this. I'm flying down to FL on WestJet in a few days, and with them the first checked bag is free provided it's under the weight limit. There is a special dispensation for golf clubs however: they can be checked as a second item for no charge.

If I need to check a second bag, I plan on adding the required bits to my kite bag to make it qualify as "Golf clubs", which their website defines as, "One bag with clubs, shoes and balls is accepted per guest."

So, that will be a putter and a wedge, my sandals, and exactly two golf balls. The rest is just padding. ;)

If they ask, I can confidently say it's "Sporting equipment and golf clubs." without moral hazard. :P

Not directly applicable to your situation, but if the airlines want to screw us on technicalities, we can play that game too.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 pm

i've traveled on a few airlines with a TT in a board bag by itself, bindings removed. and said its a wakeboard. That usually falls under skis/snowboard/waterskis/wakboard exclusion, and you won't be charged for oversize baggage, but it does count as an extra bag. then I put everything else in normal sized luggage. On American's site, it groups wakeboard's with kiteboards and surfboards. You could try the same and say its a snowboard.

KiteCancun247
Rare Poster

Postby KiteCancun247 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 am

Thanks for all the tips!

Think we will go with the curbside check in idea. Our flight originates here in Mexico, so if we hit any snags I am sure 200 pesos should clear it up!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”