Local Beach: Egmond aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Egmond aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit & Shadow
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

F-One Bandit 12 or 14m...?

Postby waitz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I need some input on a purchase decision...

I currently have a 10m Bandit III, and a Trax IV 134x39 board.
I am 178cm and approx 74kg, and not that experienced kitesurfer yet.

I live by the north-west coast of Holland, where there almost always is quite some waves with the wind.

In the summer though, there is often a bit to little wind for the 10m, so I want like to get a second bigger kite. I borrowed an ozone 14m when I was on holiday in Egypt this autumn, and it was really fun. It was like driving a big Mercedes on a Sunday compared to my 10m Ferrari.

The question I cannot really answer before I try it, is: Do I get a 12m or 14m?
I really like the Bandit, so I will stay with f-one.

What I would like with the kite is to be able to go upwind in light wind, and just have a nice time surfing.

Input before I burn the cash very appreciated. 12 or 14m?? (Next year I will probably replace the 10m.)

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Has thanked: 0

Re: F-One Bandit 12 or 14m...?

Postby jumarcil » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:42 pm

This year I am riding a quiver of Bandit B6; 9m 12m and 14m

I have only tried the 9m and 14m so far since I received them at the end of our water season.

You could easily get away with a 10m and a 14m quiver. 10 and 12 will be really close. It would be nice if you could have the 10-12 and 14 but if you are tight go with the 14.

I am just back from a trip in Cuba and I was able to ride my 14m in winds up to 22 knots I would say; I weigh 77kg. The overlap between 10 and 14 will be excellent.

ps: The B6 is actually the nicest LEI I have tried so far. It is my first season on bandits since I have never been crazy about these kites even though I have tried the B1-B2-B3 etc.. Last season I was riding some Nemesis V3 and Ts and I tried a B5 in a demo and Wow ! what a kite. Low bar pressure, good speed, awesome lift, good power and also nice drift. It really is a great all around kite.

Yeeeharrrr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton,Blackrock, Rhosniger.
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas, north Dyno, Nobile fifty /50, Nobile 2HD, Airush Sector V2 52c

Postby Yeeeharrrr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

I have nearly all the bandit 6 kites and a set of bandit V kites, I am not light, and to be honest the 12 is a brilliant light wind kite, and packs the biggest grin factor, the 14 is good but the 12 is my choice by a long way, I try to avoid using the 14 and it has taught me how to get the best from the 12 in light winds, it really does have a great range.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Go the 14, allways better to have more power in dodgy light wind, the Trax board is excellent for powered riding and will let you hold it down really well... Dont worry about top end of the 14 - thats what the 10s for. :)

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:04 am

I have a quiver of B6 10-12-14 and If I had to choose only two I would go with the 10-14m. I always prefer to have more power than not enough :D And you have a good board to take the power.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 pm

At your weight I would go with a 12-9 as a two kite quiver. I would get a bigger directional style board( free ride or surf) for your light to med wind days. I ride a 14-10-8 quiver using a combo of Freeride, Surf and TT's. At your weight, a 12m would be your go to kite most of the time. The low end performance between a 12-14 is not much. You will have a larger wind range on the 12. You will not believe how much a board like an Airush Sector will improve your light wind kiting. For example, if you were riding your 14m with a TT , I would be using a 10m and 54 Sector. I'm 20 kg heavier than you. If you just wanted to ride TT, then you should look at kites in the 17-18m range which really offer much better LW performance than a 14. Thats just my 2 cents.

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Great, thanks for all the input (please keep adding experience if there is more :D )

My gut feeling from reading so far is: Get 12m for now + a bigger wave board and then replace the 10m with a 9m (or 8m) next year. 14m is cool, but a bit on the big side for my weight & need.

I have come across a second hand Brunotti Kite Wave (2010), 165cm. Any good?

:thumb:

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 am

I think that you first need to say at what conditions do you intand to use the bigger kite at ?
15 Knots minimum or 12 knots ?
Small waves and a lot of chop ?

I weigh 74Kg and with my 2012 132cm Trax and the 12m B6 i can stay upwind at about 12-13Knots and the top end is a bit over 25Knots. I have been kiting for 8 years now.

waitz
Rare Poster

Postby waitz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:15 am

eldadgold wrote:(...)
15 Knots minimum or 12 knots ?
Small waves and a lot of chop ?
12 knots definitively, even 10 knots when there is. The north-west coast of Holland has one endless long sand beach, and it is always waves and quite choppy with the wind. But when the wind is in the low end, the waves are normally quite gentle of course.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:04 pm

If you're interested in 10 knots then you'll definatly need the 14m and a light wind board.
10knots is my minimum with the B6 14m and the Trax LW.
With a Raceboard and flat water i can even go in less.

You should know that in very light wind it is not easy to relaunch, so be carefull not to drop the kite in the water. If you do drop it then remember to swim a little towards the kite when relaunching.

Return to “Kitesurfing”