MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

gbgreen59 wrote:leaves of seaweed that float around in the water there. Some windsurfers use a "weed" fin (I think that is what they call it)
I know this can be an issue - been to plenty of beaches for races that suffer the same problem, it's infuriating. If you kite there regularly then weed fins are an option, but they effect the performance of the fin so radically that they are a huge compromise to the feel and ability of the board.

In racing the weed fins go so slow (plane so late) that it's quicker to race with normal fins and keep shaking the buildups off. The weed thing is also relatively rare, so weed fins are not so common...

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

double post
Last edited by MikeBirt on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TPink
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:13 am

TPink wrote:Hey Sector heads,

was hoping for a big favor on a build project this winter..
I know this should be in the builders forum, but not a lot o viewers over there.

I'm building a sector type board and would love some measurements that i cant seem to find online, and there are no sectors in my area to take them off of.

My project will most resemble a 60, a little narrower, so if you have any version of the S60 that would work great. even off the 53 would work as well.

Here are the measurements im looking for, inches or cm's are fine, I can deal with both.

- Board Thickness - ideally, mid board, 1/4 up from tail, 1/4 back from nose.
- Rocker- (laying flat on a table/floor) distance from flat surface up to nose/ up to tail,
- Fins, Distance from tail to back of rear finbox, to back of forward finbox.
- front foot straps, distance from tail to back of forward footstrap.

if you're really into it,

- concave length & depth.

first, take a straight edge, and find where the concave starts by sliding it back from the nose of the board, held perpendicular to center line, and watching for a gap to open between the straight edge and the board around the center line. Measure distance from the tail to that point.

Next, slide the straight edge back the board and try to pick the spot where the concave is the deepest, should be just behind the forward straps. My understanding is the board has a double concave, so your straight edge will be touching a ridge running down the centerline and the outside rail. Hold a ruler perpendicular to your straight edge and measure the gap (concave) at its deepest point.

That should do it.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who wants to help me out.

smooth kiting everyone!
Too much homework i guess.

one more try, only easier this time.

Anyone w a Sector v2 or 3, 53 or 60. Just looking for board thickness.
you could eyeball it with a ruler.

I can sort out the rest of the stuff.

thanks!

Beamrider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Al Bahia Beach, Abu Dhabi
Gear: Flysurfer Boost V1 9m and 13m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Radical4

Postby Beamrider » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Just a quick follow-up on my previous posts... I have finally ordered a Sector V3 60 (quad fins), will get it on the second week of January!
As soon as I get my hands (and feet) on it, I will post my impressions.

TPink, I will try and get the measurements you need. Just 3 weeks to wait! ;)

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Beamrider wrote:Just a quick follow-up on my previous posts... I have finally ordered a Sector V3 60 (quad fins), will get it on the second week of January!
As soon as I get my hands (and feet) on it, I will post my impressions.

TPink, I will try and get the measurements you need. Just 3 weeks to wait! ;)
Cool, thanks!

I'll just be whittling skegs in the mean time.

I'm jealous on your new ride...

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 am

MikeBirt wrote: Sir, you are right!
according to the pdf, and my packing list today or tomorrow I will have in stock the following;
Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 08.54.42.png
It looks like a complete carver set for the V3 60 in full tuttle, (I stand Corrected) and a separate single rear upright fin to make a more race oriented tri..

so it looks like the v3 60 will have 3 possible options;
- standard - quad race config
- tri race configuration
- carver tri configuration

I'll have full details in the next few days when the delivery arrives. Interesting!

The Airush fins should be a lot better than windsurf fins (right cant - asymmetric foil and much more twist... lets see what arrives!

anyone tried the tri race configuration OR the carver tri configuration for the V3 60?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:16 am

ice wrote: anyone tried the tri race configuration OR the carver tri configuration for the V3 60?
I recently tried the V3 66 tri fins in the 60, they are 2cm larger on each fin than the V3 60 3 fin standard setup...
I liked it - you can feel the bigger fins for sure,
it gave similar grip and pointing ability to the quad but retained enough of the original tri fin handling and feel that I (personally) prefer.

The carver fins are all mini tuttle so they will not fit the deep tuttle fins of the V3. However I tried the carver fins in a 60 wide board of another brand and they were too small. Handled fine, but you could not balance the board against them.

I have not tried a Monaro set of fins in the board yet. I have a feeling from using the Monaro separately, that the fins would overpower the board massively.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 am

I rode my V3 S60 yesterday in the thruster configuration and it was fantastic. Still pretty good upwind (I had a slight edge on my mate on the V2 S60) but much, much better carving.

I put some gaffer tape over the empty mini-tuttle boxes. Does anyone know of a source for some mini-tuttle filler plates to better fill the unused boxes? I was a little surprised that the centre fin was not delivered with filler plates for the mini-tuttle side boxes. It seems obvious. Put fin in centre. Take out side fins. Fill gap. :roll:

BTW I ordered the carving fin set for the S60. I repeatedly stressed that they had to be full tuttle fins for the V3 S60 and the Airush importer repeatedly re-assured me that the fins would be full tuttle for the S60. When they arrived they were mini-tuttle for the S54. I don't care because the S60 in thruster is more than good enough for slashing small waves.

PS I am told my filler plates and full tuttle carving fins are on the way.
Last edited by OzBungy on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 am

OzBungy wrote:I put some gaffer tape over the empty mini-tuttle boxes. Does anyone know of a source for some mini-tuttle filler plates to better fill the unused boxes?
I got filler plates with my 3 fin set up. Think they come with the 3 fin kit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”