8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Postby L0KI » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 am

Had a Mako wide 150 first...great board.
Added a Mako King a couple years later and liked it, but found that it was big and heavy for me, and now feel that a directional kitesurf board is more fun when a King is in order.
Got a Mako wide 140 that was the new construction and found it to be durable but not nearly as much fun to ride as my original Mako 150 wide, at around 175-180 pounds body weight.
The 150 was just the best size for me.
Got a Shinn Monk and had no use for the Mako's anymore, better in chop, faster, better jumping, better landing....just better. No spray in the face at all.
I now have a Wainman Joke 138 and having fun on it, not in the same category as the Mako or Monk...much different, but a great fun board.
If I were to get a Bellacera Mako copy, I would want a 150X40 but I would ask for the concave to be 10-12-14ish MM and not 18MM. And ask that it be made thinner so it might make use of the wood to make it more lively.
Gonna be trying an old (10 years) Doyle Mutant soon, to see what a good custom mutant is like.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:59 am

why are people comparing Monks and Mako's when this was about Johnnie's boards which for 90% of the people riding 90% of the time is a better choice than either of those. yes, i have been on them and this is just my opinion about John boards so don't get your panties in bind. or wait, i know, you could try one before you spout off. or not :D

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:25 am

knotwindy wrote:why are people comparing Monks and Mako's when this was about Johnnie's boards which for 90% of the people riding 90% of the time is a better choice than either of those. yes, i have been on them and this is just my opinion about John boards so don't get your panties in bind. or wait, i know, you could try one before you spout off. or not :D

This turned to a conversation about makos for obvious reasons. The board in question is a wooden mako plain and simple. Interesting to me how many people went from mako to shinn, specifically monk. Tells you something about the upgrade path. Hay-ohh!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 am

Westozzy wrote:
plummet wrote:Hey westoz.

What would you change on the mako king if you could?

would you give it some flex to make it better in high winds/chop?

maybe I should add some mako into my next mutant build.

its not a bit slidy going backwards with only one fin?

Maybe plummet I'm not to sure. The over zealous author of this post does make some good points within his one eyed doctrine. Yesterday there some ground swell running and he is right that if you flatten out the board you can ride over the chop. But speed is reduced. The more I ride the King the more I am considering getting a smaller version as well. At the moment I only have the king as sold the other boards and I am yet to find the upper wind limit of this board. Maybe today I feel if I'm on the 11m edge. With the lack of flex gives remarkable ability to pop and transfer the speed into height. Thing is plummet this board already has a fair degree of rocker and with the concave bottom probably is why you can ride it backwards so well. Increase the flex, as you said it in another post it will increase that rocker. You get a very direct feel. I actually took my feet out of the straps and pads I have added to the board and rode strapless in between them on some waves. So sweet.

Not sure, don't know if you should mess with such a good design. Not sure the flex would work with the large concave hull, reduce bite and direct feel.

But yes put some mako in your next design for sure, but I thought you already had. I have dropped the finnage down to, 56 middles, 53 sides. Rides better IMO. Mate I was riding down the line park and ride style yesterday as well, just tracks so well. I would definetly round the rails, they work great in the ocean. Slide out at the back, no not at all. Coming in with the swell lines at speed, you just get up on the rails, the front side fin bites in a bit and the rail engages. No slippage. Easy to convert to TT mode then in flat water, just rip of the side fins.
well i might swipe abit of the concave for the next board. Still think i want flex. So i'll leave that in. but will also be going thinner and carbon aswell. I like the idea of stepping out of the foot straps and riding the mutant strapless in surf mode. I've contemplated that before.

Had a super sick session today purfectly powered on the 8m in cross off doubleoverhead with with the cleanest wave i have ever ridden on. it was like slicing butter flat but on the wave.... mmmmmh.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 am

waynepjh wrote:This guy is stoked on his new board and wants to share his excitement. Why would you want to put out that fire? We are not talking politics here. spread the love! :cool2:
Agreed! :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 am

I agree with sharing this guys enthusiasm but it is not hard to agree it was the way he went about it slagging off every other design and using boards from 2008 to base his argument ( if you call it that). Also I didn't read his post close enough and I actually thought he was talking about a mako. Isn't the designer of mako a 'John' as well? Not sure but something clicked. The design he has shown is a straight out mako with some personal tweaks.

You say share the love? His post bordered on ignorant bigatory not much 'love' there at all.

Carbon hey plummet. Damn man how'd ya do it!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Westozzy wrote:I agree with sharing this guys enthusiasm but it is not hard to agree it was the way he went about it slagging off every other design and using boards from 2008 to base his argument ( if you call it that). Also I didn't read his post close enough and I actually thought he was talking about a mako. Isn't the designer of mako a 'John' as well? Not sure but something clicked. The design he has shown is a straight out mako with some personal tweaks.

You say share the love? His post bordered on ignorant bigatory not much 'love' there at all.

Carbon hey plummet. Damn man how'd ya do it!
Oh Gosh.... in 2005 the same people in this same forum said over and over again

this year boards are " the " boards , last year´s are crap
in 2006 : last years boards are crap , this year are " the " best
in 2007 : last years boards are crap , this year are " the " best
And so on and so on

Can someone see a pattern here ????

One thing I am ****** sure about : in 3-4 years , all the high praised boards ( including the Monk mentioned here several times ) are going to trashed till death by the same people .

Yes , I saw the pattern many years ago ...

This means that the Mako 2012 is crap cause is the same 2009 design ... ok , I get it

Fact is : Those Nobile Shinn´s worked for me very well the last 3 years and although I have tested several " newer " boards I never found one that blew off my mind , the new NHP is nice and goes pretty decently on chop.

Can´t comment on Mark Shinn boards cause they are not sold around ...

And .... if someone may take the time to really read my post I clearly said : before you make any board purchase decision in the future you should try them out and in fact I never even mentioned John´s Bellacera by name since I am not expecting anyone to order any custom board for usd 800.- blind. Still I mention the OR Mako and as far as I know , that brand is not even sold here ....

Merry Christmas , Happy Hanukah , Happy tomatoes and Merry potatoes and so on....

I´m off kiting...

Regards

Franz

Vikb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nihtnat, Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Freeride...
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Vikb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I've had a Mako 130, 140, 150 & King...all the new generation of "wide"boards. Lots of fun to ride. I've kept the 140 and my GF rides the 135. I've tried a number of traditional TT designs and haven't been motivated to buy one. I'll keep demoing new TT boards as they cross my path, but there is certainly something special about the Ocean Rodeo Mako design.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:03 pm

one more time
i have tried the Mako. have you?
i have tried Johniies board. have you?

they ride d i f f e r e n t l y.
they are n o t the same, different flex, different float, different thickness, different rails
d i f f e r e n t

maybe you should try one...or not :o

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:19 pm

panchito wrote:]

Oh Gosh.... in 2005 the same people in this same forum said over and over again

this year boards are " the " boards , last year´s are crap
in 2006 : last years boards are crap , this year are " the " best
in 2007 : last years boards are crap , this year are " the " best
And so on and so on

Can someone see a pattern here ????

One thing I am ****** sure about : in 3-4 years , all the high praised boards ( including the Monk mentioned here several times ) are going to trashed till death by the same people .

Regards

Franz

Amen to that. Merry Christmas.

Return to “Kitesurfing”