14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Restube safety floatation device

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:15 pm

You probably have enough things to keep your mind occupied while reeling in your lines while keeping your board from floating away, and self-rescuing with the kite in hand, that thing would be just getting in the way at that point. I guess the only situation it would really benefit you in is if you had to completely release the kite and you were a couple miles offshore, or a bad swimmer in really heavy chop or whitewater.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 pm

1968 wrote:I think its money well spend for the peace of mind that youll have a Toy to rest on while your shwimming back to shore. :wink:
That´s what I thought too and ordered one for my wife and one for me

Regards

Franz

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Me too, I think to have it and hopefully never need it. Interesting to see people knock it, perhaps they havent read all the innovation awards its got. and I think its cheap, there are 4 times in my 30+ watersports career I would have gladly paid 10x that to have it.

If you cant see the need for it, then you either have no kids, are young or never been truly scared.

I'm going to get one.

Mike

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I think this would be good for surfing stand up or paddle. But like others have said not with a kite. A life jacket or PFD vest is far superior in terms of safety and tangle issues.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm

mike dubs wrote: Interesting to see people knock it, perhaps they havent read all the innovation awards its got.
Not necessarily knocking the invention... just a little skeptical on it's use for kitesurfing and windsurfing. I already use a pfd and with my harness with the safety attached ... I can't imagine having another thing wrapped around me. The video wasn't convincing either... I don't think it inflated to enough psi for my liking. If you're surfing or SUP then you already have a floatation device with you. If you're kitesurfing in big surf with it then it's probably gonna get ripped right off your body after you wipe out... but even if it doesn't if you're in big surf you know how to take care of yourself I'm sure.

That said I think it would excellent for those who like to swim in open water ( might be some extra drag ) and if you got caught in some rip tides it could really save your ass. I would use it for that purpose for sure.

I won't get one for kitesurfing because my pfd is probably just as good if not better for me.

I'm sure they started this thread for some feedback on the invention so that's my two :)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Flight Time wrote:You probably have enough things to keep your mind occupied while reeling in your lines while keeping your board from floating away, and self-rescuing with the kite in hand, that thing would be just getting in the way at that point. I guess the only situation it would really benefit you in is if you had to completely release the kite and you were a couple miles offshore, or a bad swimmer in really heavy chop or whitewater.
I don't think most of you get what the Restube is for. It's for a real emergency.

If you are still attached to your kite and have enough energy to wind up your lines, then there is no reason to activate it. And as long as you don't activate it, it is not in the way. It's a small package and does not easily tangle up in the lines.

As a kiter the only time you would need to activate it is when you are separated from your equipment and in real trouble. This can be after getting a bad pounding in Big waves or a major equipment failure in strong wind. When you are all out of energy and do not have a proper floatation vest (an impact vest is not a floatation vest) you will be happy to have something to hold on to and with which you are more visible with and can signal with .

Another use for it is to get your orientation when you are being held down by a wave.

--
Gunnar

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:14 pm

gmb13 wrote:I don't think most of you get what the Restube is for. It's for a real emergency.
One real emergency is when you can't release the kite because it's death looping you're being dragged underwater like a fishing lure and you need floatation to keep your head above water. Another real emergency is if you are knocked unconscious from a hard hit and need something to keep your head above water.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, if you are in a PFD, you will have no use for it. A PFD is far superior in every way. Even if you are knocked unconcious, a PFD could save you. As far as something that attaches to your harness not getting in the way, it's a matter of degrees. Anything that protrudes from your harness is a tangle hazard, or could snag your leash. This is an absolute fact. Of course, it's not AS obtrusive as say, a chainsaw, but it could get in the way nonetheless.

This could truly help you in a very select few occasions.

If you happen to find yourself in deep water in a freak squall, and you lose your kite, and you are not a good swimmer or are so tired you are in danger of drowning, it might help you. Would a PFD be a better choice? Yes.

If you kite in monster waves, and you wipe out, and your kite gets ripped off you, and you are being held down by a wave, and you have the presence of mind to reach back and pull a trigger while you are in danger of drowning, it might help you. Would a PFD be a better choice? Yes.

Is there any situation this $100 toy can help you better than a PFD? No, absolutely not.

If you are a kiter, and you are really really safety concious, and you are really really concerned about all the things that could happen to you, invest the money you are about to waste on this product in a PFD. And while you are at it, you need a helmet, a line knife, a GoJoe, some signal flares, a GPS emergency beacon, and a chase boat to follow you around.

Me? I have a line knife. And a bathing suit or a wetsuit, depending on the temperature. Oh, and sun glasses. Do I jump over piers and go out kitesurfing in 30 foot waves? Nah.
Last edited by Flight Time on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 pm

hmattar wrote:Good old lifevest helped me alot yesterday.
+1 for the good old lifevest. I am always surprised safety flotation seems to come up less than helmets even. Full time, or emergency deployable floatation always sound like a good idea to me. :thumb:

Medium Poster

Postby 1968 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 pm

@ flight time. No point getting worked up about it.
I have nothing to do with the company. I just thought it was a good idea thats worth sharing....

K.

Return to “Kitesurfing”