irwe wrote:I drift launch 80% of the time from my local kite spot and don't get tangles.
This is what I do.
1. Pump up kite leading edge facing water far enough from shoreline to walk out lines.
2. Walk out lines confirm no tangles.
3. Hook in Chicken loop and safety leash
4. Walk up middle of lines
5. Grab center of kite and lift letting wind tips drag.
6. Walk back to board at shoreline (keep bar under elbow)
7. Pick up board with free hand and walk out to a safe distance. (make sure nothing will snag lines)
8. Release kite with leading edge facing you and splash water onto canopy
9. Quickly walk away from kite to minimize time there is slack in lines
10. Let go of board and launch kite**
** I don't use this technique if wind is 'nuclear'.
I essentially do the same thing, Never thought about putting water on the canopy to help keep in place.... After step 4 do you usually roll up your lines in the figure 8 pattern then grab your kite? Also, I am always kiting in winds under about 18knots