2013 11M North Rebel

Forum for kitesurfers
Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2013 11M North Rebel

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:17 am

Does anyone own or had a chance to demo the 2013 11M North Rebel? Considering this as my next kite. All my tricks are hooked in and I love to boost as high as possible. Would love to know how well this kite stays powered through the turns and how fast turning it is when looping.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: 2013 11M North Rebel

Postby 14ToeSide » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:27 am

Own and have flown the 10,12 and 14Ms. I moved the bar pressure setting to Athletic. Kite turns more in a sweeping turn keeping power during the turn. Great kites. Fast across the window. Extremely stable in lulls. Easy to stear w one and while riding Toeside. Don't do any uncooked moves so no feedback there.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 am

14ToeSide wrote:Own and have flown the 10,12 and 14Ms. I moved the bar pressure setting to Athletic. Kite turns more in a sweeping turn keeping power during the turn. Great kites. Fast across the window. Extremely stable in lulls. Easy to stear w one and while riding Toeside. Don't do any uncooked moves so no feedback there.
Great feedback. How is the low end on your 10M? Does it have a pretty wide wind range? I adjust my outside lines at the bar and shorten them to increase my low end. Similar with the North?

Thanks again.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Amazing low end. I am a heavier rider and I always ride one size smaller than the rest. Not a big fun of size above 10m though. It's powerful but not as fast as Naish kites lets say.
High end is weak though. The range is limited. I found myself many times overpowered and had to go to the beach to increase length of back lines.
The depower rope is fairly short hence depower range is limited.
I suggest you to run it with one knot longer than you usually would do with other kites.
The kite flies amazing also when underpowered so u won't feel much delay in turning and at the same time dramatically increase your range.
I know these kites very well if u have other q's I am happy to share

Stinky
Rare Poster

Postby Stinky » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:21 pm

These are amazing kites for freestyle and for waves, I'd probably choose a C kite for unhooked, but the Rebel does everything else extremely well. They are ridiculous jumpers. Amazing steering when depowered, direct and connected feel, very well engineered and made. I have lots of time in on the 2013s. Terrific low end... I wouldn't say the high end is weak but no kite is going to be stellar on both sides of that spectrum. The Rebel is still forgiving when you're jacked out of your mind, but for me, the smaller the kite, the bigger the smile on my face. I love nothing more than having to rig a size smaller.

jvg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Rilland,..
Favorite Beaches: Praia Do Cabedelo, Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
Ouddorp, Netherlands
Style: Big Airs, Kiteloops and some freestyle
Gear: Eleveight FS
Xenon Laluz 132x40 & Eleveight Curl 5'7
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby jvg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:27 pm

I have flown once with a 10m in 10 knots (I weigh 55kg) so not the best conditions. But I was surprised it was possible, 10 minutes before another guy also was kiting with it and he weighs about 85kg. So the low end is great.
The kite was steering very well, even in 10 knots, and he had a small/fast turn in the loops, just tested it with a transition as it was only 10knots :D, but since it was only in light wind I can't really say anything about the power.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27 am

Er Presidente wrote:Amazing low end. I am a heavier rider and I always ride one size smaller than the rest. Not a big fun of size above 10m though. It's powerful but not as fast as Naish kites lets say.
High end is weak though. The range is limited. I found myself many times overpowered and had to go to the beach to increase length of back lines.
The depower rope is fairly short hence depower range is limited.
I suggest you to run it with one knot longer than you usually would do with other kites.
The kite flies amazing also when underpowered so u won't feel much delay in turning and at the same time dramatically increase your range.
I know these kites very well if u have other q's I am happy to share
Thanks for the feedback. I'm debating between the 10M and the 11M. One extra meter of kite will certainly improve my low end but I'm wondering if it would make that much of a difference really. Hard to say...but I am also looking to get a 9M Rebel for the much stronger days. An 11M and 9M would make a nicely rounded quiver covering me from 13 kts to 35 kts.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:23 am

11 and 9m too much overlap. I'm very happy with at least 3m gap between sizes (5, 8 and 12). And better to buy smaller with Rebel due to their great power. Suggest 10 and 7! Try it and you'll believe...

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:41 am

I agree with Sarc.
Unless you weigth 100kg, u won't be able to go with a 9m in 35knots.
As I said these kites are v powerful. And 2m gap probably too little to make a difference.
I have 7-10-13 covering from 12 to 40mph.
After 40mph I would probably need a 5m. And I am not a light rider....
If you use rebel for the first time, assume that you will need to downsize 1m at least.

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 am

Er Presidente wrote:I agree with Sarc.
Unless you weigth 100kg, u won't be able to go with a 9m in 35knots.
As I said these kites are v powerful. And 2m gap probably too little to make a difference.
I have 7-10-13 covering from 12 to 40mph.
After 40mph I would probably need a 5m. And I am not a light rider....
If you use rebel for the first time, assume that you will need to downsize 1m at least.
My current kite has a slightly higher aspect ratio than the North Rebel so I am going to be accustomed to the power you are talking about. This is why I am thinking of going with an 11M Rebel. I did consider going to a 10M but I want a little more low end range with the extra meter of kite. I have kited my 11M in 32 kt winds so I figured a 9M Rebel would be just fine for the top end of 35. I weigh 95 kgs but weight aside the issue is I ride 35mm fins on my board. I like a more skate feel but I am giving up some edging ability in the stronger winds by not running my 55mm fins. This alone will make me consider going to an 8M kite.

I have considered you earlier suggestion of going with an 8M and a 12M. I just want the kite to turn relatively decently. At least as what can be expected with an aspect ratio of 5.0 which is what the North Rebel 12M is.

Thanks for the input. It has helped greatly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”