Forum for kitesurfers
adeyG
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Size of hole in Airush Brain chicken loop please

Postby adeyG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Could anybody with a 2013 Airush Smart Bar, which allows flagging to a front line, or anybody with an Airush 'Brain' chicken loop please tell me;

1. what is the diameter of the hole going through the 'Brain' chicken loop
2. is the front line just linked to the safety line by a simple loop to loop join
3. how are the Airush line end loops finished? Do they have a 'step' in like mine where the line is spliced back on itself? This makes them pass through a tight hole OK (loop first) but are then harder to return through the same hole due to the step

I was hoping to attach pictures but this forum does not let me easily do so.

I ask this as I have been trying to make a bar where the front lines can be untwisted but, crucially, the leash attachment stays put in the centre of the chicken loop.

I tried to use my fairly recent(2010) North Iron Heart bar in this way but the hole in the centre is too small to enable a loop joined front line to safety line to pass through. This is 5mm diameter on the North bar and I am hoping that the Airush chicken loop has a bigger hole.

If the Airush bar does have a bigger hole I might buy an Airush chicken loop and modifying a bar. I would consider buying a whole bar but at £320 here in the UK it's a bit expensive!

I hope this makes sense, if not I will have to find a way I can upload pictures
Thanks

BigOne
Rare Poster

Re: Size of hole in Airush Brain chicken loop please

Postby BigOne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 pm

The diameter of the hole is 5.5-6 mm, no more.

adeyG
Rare Poster

Re: Size of hole in Airush Brain chicken loop please

Postby adeyG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Many thanks for that.

The safety line going through the chicken loop must be quite quite a small diameter for the join to pass down the hole.

I've tried various combinations and the join is just too big to fit through my North chicken loop.

Maybe I'll have to do some more experimenting as the hole diameters seem to be similar?

Return to “Kitesurfing”