Forum for snow- and landkiters
speare
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

dual purpose training kite

Postby speare » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:57 pm

I've been wanting to get into kiteboarding/snowkiting for years and finally have the means to do it. I want to start off with a trainer kite, and am wondering if it is a smart idea to get a trainer kite that can serve a dual purpose as a snowkite. Or is it better to get a training kite that is just a training kite and save up for a full fledged snow kite?

Kites I am concidering:
ozone flow 4 or 5m (claims to be a trainer kite, but could it be used for snowkiting?)
ozone pure 4m (claims to be a snowkite, looks like a trainer to me)
ozone access 4 or 6m (snowkite, could it be used as a trainer or I am crazy?)
flyzone viron 4 or 6m (expensive trainer, could it be used for snow kiting?)
HQ Hydra 350 (trainer kite, could it be used for snowkiting?)

thanks for any pointers

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Re: dual purpose training kite

Postby kitewise » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Trainers are designed to have very little pull. That means they are designed to fly in a luffed position. The whole point is that one can learn to fly it and NOT get pulled. That sort of defeats the dual purpose idea. A trainer can, however develop enough power to pull you on the ice or some other medium but they are not built for that. Most of the kites you mentioned are small kites not trainers.
I say, get a lesson on a trainer before you develop some bad habits then get a small kite to practice.
Phil

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am

Any of the small ozones you mentioned would be perfect. Just make sure to start off in light winds. I still consider a 4-5 meter a training kite but I have been overpowered on the water on my 5 meter in 50-65 mph winds.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 am

if you get one of those kites meant for buggy riding make sure you purchase a real bar with it. i think the kites you mentioned come with the stunt kite style handle grips which don't build the proper coordination.

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 am

Definitely the best thing to do would be to take some lessons, which would cost about the same as a trainer anyway. Likely you will be ready for the real thing after that, provided you keep to light conditions to start with. If you get a trainer I would say spend $250 or less on it and re-sell it on eBay to recover half your costs when you're done with it. Although time on the trainer is good, in my opinion most people will get much further along with a couple quality lessons and be ready to ditch the trainer by the end of the lessons.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:57 am

Hey bro,

You listed both fixed bridle and depower kites in your list.

Note that the 4-5m flow is fixed bridle. That means it has no depower. they are fixed to full power.

Ozone access is depower kite.

a fixed bridle roughly has twice the power of a depower kite.

So... 5m flow will be flown in the same wind as a 10m access.

My call. As others have said get lessons. thats the fastest method to learn and or buy a second hand cheap fixed bridle kite to hone your lfying technique. Then sell it and spend money on a depower kite in the 8 to 10m size.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 am

Get a small kite on a bar like the acess4 or 6 meter. You can learn on it and it will be the first kite in your collection. Your thought process on buying a dual purpose kite is correct. I fly my small kites in high winds and when it's light I might just cruise the neighborhood on my longboard. It's a kite you will always have and perfect for learning. Get to the point where you can fly it blindfolded then take a lesson. Good luck and have fun!

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:40 pm

a fixed bridle has roughly twice the power of a fixed bridal kite
This is a false statement. A 5 meter kite will have the power of a 5 meter kite no matter if its a depowed or fixed bridal. A depower kite can reduce the power from there. Now there will be slight losses because of extra bridaling pulleys ect but those losses are minimual.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm

snobdr wrote:
a fixed bridle has roughly twice the power of a fixed bridal kite
This is a false statement. A 5 meter kite will have the power of a 5 meter kite no matter if its a depowed or fixed bridal. A depower kite can reduce the power from there. Now there will be slight losses because of extra bridaling pulleys ect but those losses are minimual.
You my friend are completely wrong.

Have you never flown fixed bridles? obviously not because you don't know what your talking about.

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:17 am

Your getting good advice here,
I have 4 m flow and a 5 m Frenzy a 6 m access and a 4m Ikon kite for teaching lessons...they are all great options!
Pending the wind, it is worth a lesson to quickly move through the ranks and not buy a trainer kite which is in a way, a great kite to putz with, but not really the kite your looking for if you are committed.

The fixed bridle vs. de power has a great amount of differences in pilot control and turning speed if all are flown on a bar. But to get a 4m de power kite (Ikon) and block the de-power using a line ball clamp... You can really get both. As you read this ( or anyone else) you'll please note that this requires some serious knowledge to manipulate the original bar, so it may not be possible.

Simply put. Get a lesson. Learn the basics with an instructor to get the basic and minimal standàrds dialed, then get a small depower or fixed bridle kite ( your choice) meant for learning / high winds, like the 4m Micro from IKON, 4-6 m Access, or any other legit brand, depower kite
Be safe and go slow.... Be sure to realize with all adventure sports, the first few steps are criticle ones, so go slow, don't rush.

If your on the east coast... Look up IMCS Snowkite Lessons on google to find our sight.
Pm me here at kite forum as well...

Good luck!

Return to “Snow / Land”