Forum for kitesurfers
Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha IDS vs Siren Bar

Postby Krazedkiter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 am

I am trying to identify the difference between the Siren Switchblade Bar and the regular IDS Switchblade bar.

Looking at the pic on the Cabrinha website and measuring the throw from both bars (they are depicted side by side), is there supposed to be any difference in throw? The pics are deceiving because it shows the Siren bar sitting lower, but if you actually measure the throw, it is the same.

The pic on the website does not show this, but the Siren bar has extesnions on the depower handles, making them hang lower than on the regular IDS bar. But looking at the Cabrinha website, it shows the extensions as a part to purchase. So I guess you could just add the extensions the the IDS bar and get the same results??

So, given above, are there any real difference to the Siren bar vs the regular IIDS bar in terms of a rider with shorter arms being able to reach easier? I know the Siren kite supposedly has an adjusted bridal for less bar pressure, but this question is just in terms of bar reachabilty for a women with shorter arms/height.

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/quicklink-siren.html

Thanks for your help.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Cabrinha IDS vs Siren Bar

Postby TheJoe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 am

Doubt there is anything different in them. Maybe the throw is shorter to fit the ladies a little better.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:01 am

we compared them side by side and the only difference we could see was the color
but maybe we missed something?

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 am

I have been googling this for some time now and the only thing I found relating to the smaller size rider was that the depower rope has exensions on it and the supposedly the chicken loop is smaller which supposedly brings the bar closer to you. But realistically, how much closer can that bring it. 1"? Again, Im looking at the two bars side by side on the website and when I measure, there is no difference. Can someone from Cabrinha describe this better?

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 am

The difference between the Siren IDS bar and the Standard IDS bar are:

Colour scheme
Smaller Chicken Loop on the Siren Bar
Center line adjustment extension handles on the Siren Bar

All other details are the same between the two.

The Centre line adjustment with extension handles is available as a spare part to add to the standard bar.

Cheers

DK

superpak101
Medium Poster

Postby superpak101 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 am

So the throw on the Siren Bar is exactly the same as the IDS bar?

I only ask b/c my wife has short arms and always says it's difficult to fully sheet out the bar with some of the other bar systems we have. She was thinking of getting a Siren b/c of the supposedly shorter throw. But if it is the same...

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm

how far a bar needs to travel to "fully depower" is a function of the kite, not the bar. if she has to reach uncomfortably far out to get the relief she is looking for, then you need to adjust the line length settings. (or select kites that have a lot of power control with a short throw)

if the problem is the inconvenience of reaching the bar after it has been let go of on a bar system with a long throw and no stopper, your sol

Return to “Kitesurfing”