Favorite Beaches: corpus christi
Style: twin tip
Gear: brokite
Brand Affiliation: brokite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

closed cell foam floats

Postby brokite » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm

We are trying to find out some info on the foam material that is used as a float on the kite bar. This material could be described as closed cell flexible foam tubing with a slick outside finish. This piece of tubing is used on the bar usually has .5” ID X 1” OD X 10” long. It is used to cover the back lines on the ends of the bar to protect the kiters hands and to provide floatation so the bar will float. We would like to know the name of the material, suppliers, and where to get it in small amounts.
Thanks Jerry

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: closed cell foam floats

Postby scklandl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 am

http://www.foambymail.com/

great company, happy to help me out with my less than $100 purchases for personal building projects. they can come up with what you need...

but why do you need it?....

I have been taking those damn things off of bars for the last 7 years. One more thing to get a line tangled on, one more thing in your way when wrapping up the bar. If youre building a new company, be an innovator, not a follower

brokite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: corpus christi
Favorite Beaches: corpus christi
Style: twin tip
Gear: brokite
Brand Affiliation: brokite
Been thanked: 0

Postby brokite » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the lead. We build Brokite boards in Corpus and have been making heelies to go with the straps. Back in the day we used bike tubes, but we have been trying a lot of things lately and have come up with a combination of surgical tubing and those floats. We too have been taking them off our bars and using them to make heelies. They have really gotten popular with the Bros so we need a source to get more. We have used all the ones off our bars already.Don't worry Brokite has never been a follower.
Jerry
brokite.com

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 pm

scklandl wrote: ...

but why do you need it?....

I have been taking those damn things off of bars for the last 7 years. One more thing to get a line tangled on, one more thing in your way when wrapping up the bar. If youre building a new company, be an innovator, not a follower
Well I use those pads to tighten the diameter of a Kite-Loop , if it looks
like it might need the extra kick to keep it from hitting the water .
If I grab just a bare line ; it hurts without gloves !

Bille

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 pm

I used to take off the "floaties", and had no problems for a couple of years. They just seemed to be something extra to complicated things and take up space. BUT, THEN!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372529

Hopefully, those who are new to kiting, will take into consideration the advice and actions of the 2 very experienced kiters, who have given their opinion on the subject of the value of "floaties"...but will also give due consideration to the opinions expressed by other kiteforum members, in the above linked thread from kiteforum, discussing the value of these "floaties".... and hopefully, these "newbies" will do this evaluation, before they remove their bar "floaties".

LONG LIVE THE "FLOATIE"...

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:22 am

Jerry I think that foam tubing is either Nitrile/Buna-N rubber or Neoprene, but I'm only guessing.

Maybe try McMaser Carr - http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubbe ... ng/=kualr2, they have a variety of foam tubing in the size you need.

Return to “Kitesurfing”