Forum for kitesurfers
Mico
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anyone test the drifter 2013 5.5?

Postby Mico » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:10 pm

i need some help, i have a 2013 drifter 9m, love it and i need to complete my quiver for hard wind. the 5.5 seems good looking the cabrinha windrange chart website
who have testing the 5.5? windrange? trying with wich bar, does it work good with the 48cm?
having a skillit using it strapless only
thanks guys and happy new year !!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: anyone test the drifter 2013 5.5?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 am

Mico wrote:i need some help, i have a 2013 drifter 9m, love it and i need to complete my quiver for hard wind. the 5.5 seems good looking the cabrinha windrange chart website
who have testing the 5.5? windrange? trying with wich bar, does it work good with the 48cm?
having a skillit using it strapless only
thanks guys and happy new year !!
I havent tried it.

But would strongly advice you to buy a 7m2 instead.

Here several has tried a 9 - 6 m2 combo for waves, and all have regretted and changed (even though it would cost them a lot).

So go for a 7m2 that fits nicely with your 9m2, and then you can always get the 5.5 to complete if you still need one for heavier winds :naughty:

But a 9 - 5.5 seems very wrong in my eyes and experience from many wave kitesurfers...

Just a hint.

:D PF

PS: You are in luck, meaning, IF you decide to buy either a 5.5 or 7m2, you can always add the missing kite later :thumb:
But if you had a brand with 1m2 steps, and you bought a 9 and a 6, and find out it is no good (like everyone I know has...), you have to buy a 7m2 and then most typically keep their 6m2, as 6 and 7 are the "awesome" wave kite sizes for the average weight rider :naughty:
But they would ideally prefer a 5 or 5.5 and 7 and 9 if they had known from the start, that 9-6 would be a problem :wink:

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:41 pm

The Cabrinha Drifter is not a powerful kite.
I can be on my Takoon Pure 5m (delta) whereas a German girl (about the same weight - maybe she's a little lighter) needs the Drifter 7m to keep up with me.
So as advised by Peter-Frank think about a 7m

If you want to go smaller (my advice) go for a Wainman 6.25 or 5.0 - which are delta kites having much more power for less surface and do turn more quickly than your Drifter (which is mainly good at drifting).

Mico
Rare Poster

Postby Mico » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:45 pm

ok, thanks but i really don't like delta and wh kites....

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)

Postby polarstorm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mico wrote:i need some help, i have a 2013 drifter 9m, love it and i need to complete my quiver for hard wind. the 5.5 seems
The short answer is you need both. No sense in trying to 'save up' since you're going to go and try and go out on a 7 when you should be a on a 5.5.

Suggest also using the 'right' bar size or your mistakes with be greatly amplified with an oversized bar.. in 40kn there is little room for error and your reaction time has to be bang on.

Get the 7 first then the 5.5. I have a quiver of 9, 7 and 5.5 nomads, the 5.5 is such a comfortable kite to use when its blowing 30 gusting 50kn - Your reaction should be exhilaration and not 'holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhh' when that happens.

Also don't forget than on the hi winds the wind power/force is exponential.. so 5.5 and 7 seems close but its a big difference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”