All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Surf Turns VS Kite Turns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 am 
Medium Poster

I have been messing with some editing software. This is my first attempt at making a Surf/Kitesurf edit. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB5vulr0f-M

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Surf Turns VS Kite Turns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

Try to check this video out. Here the kite turn is closer to the surfturn

http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=da&deskto ... 3Dda&gl=DK

In my world Mauricio has an epic style of riding

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

not realy a fair representation of the kite option thos is it?.. the surf guy has a nice shoulder high peel wave the kite guy has little piddlers beach break.

maybe get some footage of down the line kite action where a kiter is smacking the lip many times rather than one slap and go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

plummet wrote:
not realy a fair representation of the kite option thos is it?.. the surf guy has a nice shoulder high peel wave the kite guy has little piddlers beach break.

maybe get some footage of down the line kite action where a kiter is smacking the lip many times rather than one slap and go.

Agree with both posts above.

The idea of comparing is fine - but you are comparing a surfride on the waveface with a hard transition onto the wave, and not kitesurf waveriding IMO.

So instead of coming from a "powered" toeside (which you would never do unless by accident), try comparing a DTL ride which can be done both "squirrely" like the surfrider with kite parked, or full laydown bottom turns aggressive like a windsurfer - both styles are awesome in each their own very opposite way :thumb: (and VERY different from riding toeside out towards a wave which we always try to avoid, but sometimes cant help doing if we have screwed up or mistimed the waves and take the next one as a substitute...)

Maybe compare a surfride bottom turn down in the flats, with the kitesurf bottom turn down in the flats - that could be interesting, true 8)

Although - it would just illustrate the personal differences I think - as both can be done totally alike if you want - or different :wink:

:D Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 pm 
Medium Poster

I totally agree with what y'all have said, however, i think you are over analyzing the footage a bit. This was basically just a test of new editing software. I wanted to make an attempt at editing some surf/kite footy so I tossed together a few clips and this was the result.

In a perfect situation good waves with side/offshore wind the surfer and kitesurfer would be able to ride down the line and get a much more similar approach. These shots were taken 5 months apart, at totally different breaks in absolutely different conditions.

Im not saying one is better than the other. I love both sports equally and those slight differences are what makes each one special. I surf to surf and kite to kite. I don't go surfing to do kite tricks and i don't go kiting to do the exact same things i do surfing. Thats what keeps everything fresh and exciting.

Anyways I hope y'all enjoyed the clip even tho its pretty rough. Its cold and flat here on the EC but if and when we get some good waves/wind Im going to make a new edit.

Thanks for the feedback!

[ 5 posts ]