jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Speed 4 questions

Postby jumarcil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I have about 5 or 6 sessions on my speed 4 10m; I have flown it in some really light wind but also in some strong (30+ knots) wind in really gusty conditions and that kite is just amazing. The more I fly it, the more I love it.

I also heard that the bigger speed 4 will have a higher AR than the 8 and 10 meter. They made them with Lower AR to cope with high and gusty conditions.

Flysurfer have done an amazing job on these 2 kites. It is the first time that I actually have a lot of fun with a foil in really strong and gusty conditions. Great range, amazing high end, Rock solid, loops on a dime, no more bow-tie... actually I think that even people who always hated foils could really like these 2 kites.

Jules

Shawn K
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas City Dike
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Shawn K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Oh ok, I was not aware of this. They did that on the smaller versions of the first generation Psychos. Anyway, I guess I should not worry so much and leave the kite designing to Flysurfer because they always have put out quality products.

nordwind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stavanger

Postby nordwind » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Just received my speed4 10m in regular cloth. Took it out for a session on the water this afternoon to see how it flys before heading inland for some snowkiting. My other kites are the speed3 15 and ocean rodeo Rises in 10 and 7 m. The speed 4 is very solid in the air, bar pressure is a bit less than the OR rise but more than the speed3. The wind was 15 to 22 knots and cold (around 8C). Kite should be comfortable up to 25 no problem as it has plenty of depower range. Jumps about the same height as the OR Rise 10 but it has better float. Turning speed is about the same, perhaps a hair slower but it seems to cross the window faster. Upwind is where the kite really shines, it rockets upwind, i would say that it is dramatically better upwind than the speed3 15 and the OR rises. downwind it seems to be improved over the speed3, not sure if it will go deeper than the lei kites though. Overall it is going to be difficult to decide whether to ride the speed 4 10 or the OR rise 10, guess it comes down to whether i feel like pumping or not. On the negative side the kite was pulling to the right when i first flew it, i checked the mixer and found the problem, not the same setting on both sides. I adjusted it and that seems to have solved the issue. The second negative is that the depower line is already getting some wear so i need to check the bar.

transcanadatom
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spray Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Keho, Spray Lakes in the Winter
Style: Cruiser
Gear: 2009 Eclipse Nano 7/9/11m, 2009 Thruster 14m, Crazyfly Cruiser

Postby transcanadatom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 am

Norwind, yes that is it, so stable in higher winds, I feel that the development of the leading edge supports from Gin are helping that a great deal. I will receive the the 10m deluxe tomorrow, really looking forward to flying it against the 8m deluxe. I never thought I would invest in deluxe over standard fabrics in FS kites under 12m but now it may be hard to fly the regular fabric, the deluxe cloth is simply magical, all the effects of the promotional material is true, faster turning and just a joy to fly. Since I don't crash kites much anymore, durability is not an issue so for me the investment in deluxe fabric is well worth it with the improved flying characteristics over the lifespan of the kite which will be many years! :thumb:

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi!

I was considering of buying S4 8m2 for my high wind kite.
What would an approximate high end be for me with this kite? I weight 85 kg and use S3 19 m2 in winds over 20 knots (with small gusts), I don't have S3 CE 12 m2 enough time to test the high end.

Is 35 knots + 10 knot gusts too much to expect?
Should I rather go with a 7m2 LEI, although I am used to have a lot of depower on FSs?
Is there any differences comparing standard and DLX cloth in top end?

@transcanadatom: fish line reinforcements are pretty much standard in Paragliding construction. :wink: although I am not sure who's invention it is.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster

Postby jumarcil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 pm

zob wrote:Hi!

What would an approximate high end be for me with this kite? I weight 85 kg and use S3 19 m2 in winds over 20 knots (with small gusts), I don't have S3 CE 12 m2 enough time to test the high end.

Should I rather go with a 7m2 LEI, although I am used to have a lot of depower on FSs?

@transcanadatom: fish line reinforcements are pretty much standard in Paragliding construction. :wink: although I am not sure who's invention it is.
I dont know about 45 knots but honestly I would be inclined to say that you would be fine even though it is a lot more than what flysurfer recommend.

I have the 10m in the regular fabric and I am just amazed at the high end of that kite. I tried the 10m in a snowstorm where we had really strong wind that was really gusty. My kite buddy was using his switchblade 8m and he was really sceptic about me using a 10m foil in such weather.

I think that my S4 10m was behaving even better than his SB; the S4 holds its shape I almost didn't feel the gust in the bar. The depower is very efficient and the throw is very short.

Cant wait to try my buddy S4 10m in deluxe fabric.

Jules

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:43 pm

jumarcil wrote:

I dont know about 45 knots but honestly I would be inclined to say that you would be fine even though it is a lot more than what flysurfer recommend.

I have the 10m in the regular fabric and I am just amazed at the high end of that kite. I tried the 10m in a snowstorm where we had really strong wind that was really gusty. My kite buddy was using his switchblade 8m and he was really sceptic about me using a 10m foil in such weather.

I think that my S4 10m was behaving even better than his SB; the S4 holds its shape I almost didn't feel the gust in the bar. The depower is very efficient and the throw is very short.

Jules

You claimed that your foil behave better than one of the most stable kite on the market in gusty wind ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s real bs ….

jumarcil
Frequent Poster

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 am

knotmyfault wrote:
jumarcil wrote:

Jules

You claimed that your foil behave better than one of the most stable kite on the market in gusty wind ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s real bs ….
Right now I have a quiver of B6. This fall I had a Switchblade 9m 2k13 until I got my B6. I've also owned a Switchblade 9m 2011 for th whole 2011 season which is also what my friend was riding. So I know the switchblade pretty good and It is effectively one of the most stable kite in gusty conditions.

I ride both foils and LEI's. I have always hated foils in gusty weather. I think that given the choice in really strong 30+ knots wind I would still prefer Leis over Foils but the new speed 4 are really solid in the air. If I say that it was stable in the conditions that we were riding (20 something knots gusting to thirty something) it probably is because it was stable.

I have also own speed 3 in every single size they made and whenever it was gusty I didn't use these kites because they were scary in High and gusty wind. I have also owned Ozone Manta and Frenzy + a Flysurfer Outlaw over the years. The speed 4 is actually the first foil I ever tried that behaves good in gusty conditions.

So before saying that is is bullshit you should at least try it; than you can comment as much as you want.

Jules
Last edited by jumarcil on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 am

knotmyfault wrote:You claimed that your foil behave better than one of the most stable kite on the market in gusty wind ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, thanks for pointing out jumarcil's quote about superior stability in gusts comparing to LEIs. This will be easier to remember, since you marked it in yellow smileys :wink: :D

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 am

at 30+, i will stick with an Arc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”