Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The new North Trust Bar 2013

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 am

WildDuke wrote:
Westozzy wrote: Like the VX? Yeh the stopper is a prob on the smart bar, also don't Ike the stupid two handles for power depower. Just one thing to pull thanks. Stupid idea. Be aware though the Y on the front lines is built for the quick release to pull the kite down gently and roll forward on its leading edge.
Yeah, love the VX! I'd prefer it if there was slightly less bar pressure, but that's what I say about all kites. Not sure you are correct about the Y on the front. The 2013 smartbar doesnt have a Y, it has a V and it said to be completely compatible with older kites.

I wish the north bar had a V on the front lines. It would be easier to fix lines if kite inverts. Also, I think 5line is dangerous. I will never own another one. I was kiting a downwinder from one atoll in the south pacific to another, when I kited into a partial wind shadow produced by coconut trees and some higher terrain on the island behind me. My kite fell from the sky and rolled through itself. If I had a 5 line kite, it would have been game over. I was a couple of km's from the atoll that we were going to and floating in shark infested waters. Luckily I was flying my 4 line kite and able to relaunch and kite myself back to our meeting point. But that's beside the point.

Enlighten me what's the difference between the a V and a Y, where it bifurcates.

Tried the VX on the light bar setting. ? Man that is too light I reckon. I come from rebels though so the bar pressure on the medium setting is still light for me.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 am

Westozzy wrote:
WildDuke wrote:
Westozzy wrote: Like the VX? Yeh the stopper is a prob on the smart bar, also don't Ike the stupid two handles for power depower. Just one thing to pull thanks. Stupid idea. Be aware though the Y on the front lines is built for the quick release to pull the kite down gently and roll forward on its leading edge.
Yeah, love the VX! I'd prefer it if there was slightly less bar pressure, but that's what I say about all kites. Not sure you are correct about the Y on the front. The 2013 smartbar doesnt have a Y, it has a V and it said to be completely compatible with older kites.

I wish the north bar had a V on the front lines. It would be easier to fix lines if kite inverts. Also, I think 5line is dangerous. I will never own another one. I was kiting a downwinder from one atoll in the south pacific to another, when I kited into a partial wind shadow produced by coconut trees and some higher terrain on the island behind me. My kite fell from the sky and rolled through itself. If I had a 5 line kite, it would have been game over. I was a couple of km's from the atoll that we were going to and floating in shark infested waters. Luckily I was flying my 4 line kite and able to relaunch and kite myself back to our meeting point. But that's beside the point.

Enlighten me what's the difference between the a V and a Y, where it bifurcates.

Tried the VX on the light bar setting. ? Man that is too light I reckon. I come from rebels though so the bar pressure on the medium setting is still light for me.
Well, I'm sure the V front lines will cause the kite to roll forward on its leading edge too as it will be a single line safety system, much like naish and slingshot. To me the only advantage of V over Y is that if your kite rolls through itself, you can unhook, and pass your chickenloop and bar through the middle of the V to fix the lines. Cant do that on a Y front line arrangement.

mbernades
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hyères - France
Gigaro - France
Favorite Beaches: Cabo de la vela - Colombia
Lago Calima - Colombia
Santa Veronica - Colombia
Adicora - Venezuela
Hyères - France
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2012
Goldenboard Luxury 2013

Postby mbernades » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

knotwindy wrote:i have no love for North but the 5th line thing is not that big a deal. Unless you are in the waves it is not hard to unwrap a 5th line wrap if you know how and have practiced a bit. Quite doable except in a rush in the impact zone. And the Iron Heart QR is a nice piece of work, releases easy no mater what which is the most important part of a QR and never has released by accident which is the second most important part, to me.
Having said that, the rest of the bar seems way over-engineered and flash without substance. No real need for most of the gizmos and i will not fly their kites for other reasons as well. So, i may have to find an old QR and use it without any of the rest of their stuff. Only use the part that works for you....
I ride with 2012 9m Vegas and every single time i crash while doing a downloop transition my 5th line wrap around my kite.

How do you unwrap a wrapped kite ?

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:21 am

Pull a load of fifth line in. The kite should unwrap itself but the lines normally end up twisted, it will fly fine though until you want to come in and land.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 pm

A very easy way to unwrap the 5th line is to pull lots of rear flying line and get the kite sideways to you, that way the 5th line can side off. Unfortunately you will have to pull much more than the "hand friendly" plastic tubing will allow.............

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 am

Guys over here are finding the fifth line is wearing a great deal due to the Velcro thingy. Also the depower is still wearing, not as much but still more than it should for the price you pay.

KitePaddleSurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Locust Beach, Hunter Beach, Driftwood Beach, Sandy Point, Birch Bay, West Beach, Sandy Heights, Dogfish Beach, Glass Beach, Post Point.
Favorite Beaches: Locust Beach
Style: Big Air/Freestyle
Gear: Liquid Force, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Postby KitePaddleSurf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 am

Check out the Blade Uni Bar. www.bladekites.com/unibar

Lots of similar features, but with an adjustment system just as you mention to go from 47-52cm.
ronnie wrote:That is a well put together product video.

A lot of the ideas are good - some are unnecessary.

The method of switching the bar length is something I wouldn't want, because I am paying for something that isn't necessary. A short piece of rope through a hole with a knot on each end does the same thing.
Same with changing the steering line lengths - I'd rather just move a larks head knot to another knot on the leader line.

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesVegas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 am

KitePaddleSurf wrote:Check out the Blade Uni Bar. www.bladekites.com/unibar

Lots of similar features, but with an adjustment system just as you mention to go from 47-52cm.
ronnie wrote:That is a well put together product video.

A lot of the ideas are good - some are unnecessary.

The method of switching the bar length is something I wouldn't want, because I am paying for something that isn't necessary. A short piece of rope through a hole with a knot on each end does the same thing.
Same with changing the steering line lengths - I'd rather just move a larks head knot to another knot on the leader line.
Classy.

barelhunta
Rare Poster

Postby barelhunta » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 am

Westozzy said

"Guys over here are finding the fifth line is wearing a great deal due to the Velcro thingy. Also the depower is still wearing, not as much but still more than it should for the price you pay."

I agree the 5th line does wear on the velcro, but the velcro isnt necesdsary on the stopper as there is some ont he vario cleat, i have removed the velcro from my stopper.

I am wondering whether the 5th line will wear on the stopper?

As far as relaunchging after a 5th line wrap, i simply cannot and do no relaunch my rebels at all. I kite only in the surf and if the kite ends up in the water i pull the release and start swimming, trying to relaunch int he surf with a 5th line is asking for a torn kite. This apart i really like the rebels and am on my third generation, despite the relaunch issue i think they are a superior kite in the surf and i am happy that they dont relaunch easily :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Removing the Velcro on the stopper is a good idea will mention it on the local forum.

So you like a kite that doesn't relaunch well in the surf? Sorry I don't get it?

Shhh I had rebels, there are much much much better wave kites out there.

But there aren't too many better freeride kites. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”