Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:52 am

Since I was incorrect with my 16m assessment of the V2 (that I did by putting it next to a 16m Cab), I kept thinking about what size it was. The struts stood up about 6 inches taller cordwise than the cab, so that would make it larger, and then I considered that on the V2, the struts have a 20 to 30 degree (just a guess) "elbow" bending down about 10 inches from the leading edge. This would mean the sail would have more camber which would also add size. That lead me to say think OK, maybe 17m. Then I took a look at a Fat Lady and realized it was a 17m and the struts looked like the same style. :duh: Could it be that these kites are very similar? I was just surprised that I did not notice this before as I was reading up on both kites. I guess that is just one of the things you don't really notice until you get your hands on the kite.

By the way, this is in no way a complaint. I bought a V2 and should be getting it any day now, and finding similarities with the other kite I was seriously considering is not a bad thing in my book. I just had to keep pondering the "Infinity" situation. :D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote: Then I took a look at a Fat Lady and realized it was a 17m and the struts looked like the same style. :duh: Could it be that these kites are very similar?

I just had to keep pondering the "Infinity" situation. :D
Dear ponderer how are you today ?
Let's just say that it is the size ...you now think it is

As long as you are happy with your new kite and it will do what "you" are looking for is what counts

I did the side by side test in winds as low as 4kn all the way up to 9kn max with my larger kite

On all points his kite had nothing on mine..and i got going earlier in less winds..and got more jumps
So in my view this is what "i" am looking for in 7-9kn on the water
He would have needed 7-11kn (9kn avg.) to perform better and the wind never got that high

...........Have a great day my friend ! ............................................................................

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:32 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

SupaEZ wrote: On all points his kite had nothing on mine..and i got going earlier in less winds..and got more jumps
So in my view this is what "i" am looking for in 7-9kn on the water
He would have needed 7-11kn (9kn avg.) to perform better and the wind never got that high

...........Have a great day my friend ! ............................................................................
But wait... are you not a lighter person than Mr D, use longer flying lines and weren't you riding a surfboard of some sort?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

I'd like to get the facts straight as I'm a bit of tech head and stuff like this interests me.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Yea, for me, because we boat launch here, I did not want to go above a 17m. The 16m we have been using can sometimes be like a giant squid attacking the boat while trying to launch and recover it, so for me, a 19m could be a problem. The relaunch and turning speed were the main things that sold me on the Infinity.

If I lived in a kiting paradise like Supa, (and some day I will :D ) with all the beach I could want to set up the kite, I would probably opt for the extra 2 meters as well. Looking forward to the long awaited video. We all know that both kites flew. I just want to see how the two masters cracked the light wind egg. This video should be the polar opposite of the Len 10 video. Like watching a Tai Chi video followed by some MMA. :lol:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:Since I was incorrect with my 16m assessment of the V2 (that I did by putting it next to a 16m Cab), I kept thinking about what size it was.
....that on the V2, the struts have a 20 to 30 degree "elbow" bending down about 10 inches from the leading edge.
Then I took a look at a Fat Lady and realized it was a 17m and the struts looked like the same style. ..Could it be that these kites are very similar?
The two kites are: Different Sizes / Aspect Ratios / Profiles, Leading Edge Diameters/Strut Diameters and positions, Different Bridles and Attachment Points, Dacron Material Weights, Specific Reinforcements and Scuff Pads.
MoMi did the design work for both, so they both have the "elbow", and a few other things he does, so the kites look like the same guy designed them. Same factory sews both, same bladders and one pump system also. Different Graphics designer. Very different kite bag and accessories supplied, same pump. Different Company HQ's (6000 miles apart).
I was not trying to say they were the same kite, but just coming to the realization that they used alot of the same characteristics which is cool with me. :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:14 pm

:
Last edited by L0KI on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:Since I was incorrect with my 16m assessment of the V2 (that I did by putting it next to a 16m Cab), I kept thinking about what size it was.
....that on the V2, the struts have a 20 to 30 degree "elbow" bending down about 10 inches from the leading edge.
Then I took a look at a Fat Lady and realized it was a 17m and the struts looked like the same style. ..Could it be that these kites are very similar?
The two kites are: Different Sizes / Aspect Ratios / Profiles, Leading Edge Diameters/Strut Diameters and positions, Different Bridles and Attachment Points, Dacron Material Weights, Specific Reinforcements and Scuff Pads.
MoMi did the design work for both, so they both have the "elbow", and a few other things he does, so the kites look like the same guy designed them. Same factory sews both, same bladders and one pump system also. Different Graphics designer. Very different kite bag and accessories supplied, same pump. Different Company HQ's (6000 miles apart).

yeaah, but my understanding is that both were designed with the same principle in mind
- providing good fun in LW, nice bar pressure, fast and nimble, easy to re-launch, etc.

they are not performance oriented in the sense that the ideia is not to get the max up-wind ability, as I guess a LW race kite would target, at the expense of other stuff

never rode the Infinity but would bet it feels similar to the Fat Lady

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Tiago1973,
The difference from the INFINITY V2 vs the FAT LADY is that the INFINITY v2 turns faster and has better pop. But the power is piratically the same after testing them.
Now the INFINITY V3 is something different.
:thumb:
Attachments
INFINITY V3 in 4 knots on USP.jpg
v2 & v3 testing in 10 to 16 knots.jpg
V2 & v3 in 10 to 16 knots.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”