Graham84
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting spots near Atlanta

Postby Graham84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 am

Hi Guys,

I have just joined this forum mainly looking for some information and hopefully to meet some local kiters.
I have just been posted to Duluth (just outside Atlanta) for 3 months, starting from the first week in January.
I am a South African who has been kiting for a few years and can’t imagine going 3 months without water-time, so I am bringing my gear.
Are there any kitable spots around Duluth and if so whereabouts?
I have read up about the Florida Panhandle, this is about a 5 hour drive, I think, and so far my only plan is to drive down there on the weekends. But I am hoping there can be kiting closer than that.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Re: Kiting spots near Atlanta

Postby Chickenwing504 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am

I used to live in Georgia years ago, and remember fishing lake allatoona. It's a pretty big lake, but you might need to do some research on finding a kite crew up there. You said Florida already, but there is also savannah, and both of the Carolina's not too far away.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 am

I would think the closest spot (besides some possible lake) would be Tybee Island, Ga which as mentioned is the Savannah area. Doing a mapquest that is about 4.5 from Dulth. Charleston, SC is 5hrs, and about 6 hours to the panhandle. Tybee, Charleston have a pretty big kite scene. OBX is out of the question at about 9 hrs.

One thing to consider is Puerto Rico. Not going to be all that much more expensive and not much longer to get there. Also pretty much guaranteed tropical water and world class conditions. Flights out of Atlanta are about 300 or less and flying time is 3.5 hours (4.5 on the return).

Graham84
Rare Poster

Postby Graham84 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks SSK,
Tybee Island looks like a good shout, and a pretty easy weekend trip.
What is the best discount airline in the South East to use for flight to Puerto Rico?

Thanks again mate

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm

You may want to contact a shop like All Out Kiteboarding in Tybee and see if they can give you some local gouge.
http://www.alloutkiteboarding.com/index ... eboarding/
They have contact email listed

I have never been to Savannah but hear its nice.

I just went to "Expedia.com" and looked at flights. It appears it is a pretty competitive market because there are a whole bunch of flights all around 300 dollars. Did not see much variance in price.

The only good thing is that this is probably a good time of year for that area of the country, both the South East and Gulf. There are still a lot of powerful cold fronts sweeping down. The summer can be pretty light.

kbjenn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: In Atlanta, no real local beaches... must drive to the coast.
Favorite Beaches: Miami, OBX
Gear: Haven't purchased

Postby kbjenn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi everyone, I realize this post is old, but I am trying to get the word out about a new meetup group that we've started after not being able to find any kiting groups in Atlanta. Would love to get a group that drives to the ocean (Charleston, Tybee, PCB) whenever there is wind and share transportation and house rentals??

http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Kiteboarders/

Check it out! Thanks!!

dougiedude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque Beach, Margarita, Venezuela; Tybee Is, Georgia, USA
Style: beginner/intermediate freeride
Gear: Airush, Shinn

Postby dougiedude » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Thought I'd give a bump to this thread while I'm on Tybee Island, Georgia.

Yesterday was a pretty epic day if you're an advanced kiter, with 15-25 kt winds from the NE... I wasn't able to get out myself, as my smallest was a 9M, I'm only 142#, and an intermediate at that. Good thing is, I'm here for 4 more days, and there should be some lighter winds before I leave...

The other good thing is, I met Jenn (kbjenn) and Reid, who started the Atlanta Kiteboarders MeetUp.Com group (see previous post). I also met a few others, too, including Scott, and a friendly couple who are in Atlanta from the Netherlands.

So, I've joined the group now, and I look forward to making some kiting trips from Atlanta with this group in the future.

If you're from Atlanta, join in! :thumb:

Ciao,

Doug

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.