All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How low can i go in light wind with my board and a 9m?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 am 
Rare Poster

Ok, so I just got a new (used) Liquid Force Lowrider 165x50 light wind twintip, and my kahoona 13.5 is stuck in the shop and Its killing me to not have this kite =(... So all I have left is my 9m Naish Cult, aaaaand I was wondering what you guys think the lightest wind I can go in with that would be? I weigh about 150 pounds btw lol

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: How low can i go in light wind with my board and a 9m?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

just a complete guess. 11-12 knots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 pm 
Rare Poster

okay sweet, just wanted an idea, so I don't have to spend unnecessary gas money lol Thanks dude!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It all depends on many factors. Currents, air pressure, kite, rider skill/weight, board characteristics, how well you are at trimming and working a kite to build apparent wind etc etc.

I would suggest if you have a safe shallow spot with decent amount of room to try and see what you can do. It would be good training for you on how to actually fly a kite. I actually recommend everyone do this. You can work on light wind relaunch and getting back to shore with out swimming.

I know with a skim board and my old 12m I was able to ride in 10kts at 180lbs and go upwind a little. Anything less than that and it was hard to keep the kite in air let alone get enough pull to get up on a plane.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

yes location makes a huge affect. i can kite 8-9 knots on dead flat with current against wind on my 15m speed. but at my local waves/white wash/ swell/ current with wind... 12-13 knots or its a waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Dude, now that trick I've never seen before!

Doing the Limbo on a board? Whoa!! I gotta see the footage!

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

plummet wrote:
yes location makes a huge affect. i can kite 8-9 knots on dead flat with current against wind on my 15m speed. but at my local waves/white wash/ swell/ current with wind... 12-13 knots or its a waste of time.

Yeah my wave spot has current with wind I don't even bother unless the forecast is above 20kts. That and it is notorious for having a pressure bubble where the wind will not be low enough to kite. Go 15min drive on the bay side and it will be blowing 10kts more :angryfire: .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm 
Rare Poster

TheJoe wrote:
It all depends on many factors. Currents, air pressure, kite, rider skill/weight, board characteristics, how well you are at trimming and working a kite to build apparent wind etc etc.

I would suggest if you have a safe shallow spot with decent amount of room to try and see what you can do. It would be good training for you on how to actually fly a kite. I actually recommend everyone do this. You can work on light wind relaunch and getting back to shore with out swimming.

I know with a skim board and my old 12m I was able to ride in 10kts at 180lbs and go upwind a little. Anything less than that and it was hard to keep the kite in air let alone get enough pull to get up on a plane.

Holy crap, there is waaay more that goes into it than i thought lol but i do have a shallow spot to practice in. I should be good with the kite, cause i fly it in light wind frequently.... seeing as i live on a lake in florida lol i just need to work on riding i guess? I never had a proper lightwind board so this is different. I tried my buddys glide once, and that was wonderful lol

[ 8 posts ]