Forum for kitesurfers
curranj
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite w/lightest bar pressure bcuz of hand injury

Postby curranj » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Im looking for some new kites but have damaged tendons in my hand and am looking for kites with extrememly low bar pressure. Any suggestions? Probably 8-9 m and 12-14m

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite w/lightest bar pressure bcuz of hand injury

Postby coleman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I have a 9, 11, 15 ozone edge. Very light bar pressure but you can still feel the kite, possibly this is due to lack of pulleys on bridle. I tend to get elbow tendinitis after about 2 hrs riding on my wainmans but I can ride all day on the ozone and be perfectly fine. Performance wise these kites boost amazingly well with lots of glide and they are fast forward flying kites.

My favorite size is the 9m as it turns better than the 11 but the boost on the 11 is noticably better.
At the upper end of the windranges these kites go freakishly big. So for me I am on the 9 in 20-35
11m 15-25 and 15m 10-20.

These kites may be expensive but they offer a ton of performance and the power is
Just really really smooth.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 pm

the two lightest bar pressure kites i have ridden are the Ocean Rodeo Rise and the 2012 Slingshot Rally but i am sure there are plenty others i have not tried.... yet
and lots of kites have adjustable bar pressure these days

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Depends a lot on what kind of kites you're looking for. But from what I know: Bandit 5/6, SS Rally, Epic Renegade, CORE XR2 should answer your prayers.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 pm

curranj wrote:Im looking for some new kites but have damaged tendons in my hand and am looking for kites with extrememly low bar pressure. Any suggestions? Probably 8-9 m and 12-14m
two of my kiting buddies here struggles with some form of arthritis, and they use the naish kites...park and the ride. You can adjust the bar pressure. The 2013 has a little more bar pressure, but you can still adjust. If you move the backline attachment out on the ride, it is pretty light.

I'd say probably go with the ride since the kite has more of the sheet and go type riding. :-)

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Naish parks,light bar pressure,and a great all round kite,TONY

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Most high aspect kites with adjustable bar pressure should work for you. Take everyone advice with a grain of salt as bar pressure is subjective to the individual. If you can demo then demo and be specific about what your looking for so the kite can be set up for the lightest bar pressure. All so you can try shortening your lines as longer lines have more drag and increase bar pressure.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 pm

tony montana wrote:Naish parks,light bar pressure,and a great all round kite,TONY
PS,20 years working on cars in my bodyshop,i have many tendons problems,also in a position to try many brands of kites,and i can assure you naish park has light bar pressure,i can kite for hours no problem.but demo,demo,grain of salt my arse,TONY

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 pm

TheJoe wrote: All so you can try shortening your lines as longer lines have more drag and increase bar pressure.
Wow. does that really make much difference? I mean if you look at it, lets say the lines are 4 or 7 meters, the only increase in bar pressure would be however much pressure the wind put on the extra 4-7 meters of line? Can it really be that much?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:27 am

Yes if bar pressure is an issue then stay away from anything delta orientated.

I to ride edges now and yes any high aspect kite will do the trick. This is not just to do with the actual bar pressure per say but the apparent wind they develop. You needn't sine the kite as much.

Hey to the other edge rider how much do you weigh for those wind ranges? Must agree though the more wind the better they perform they do indeed have an incredible high end and with the right board and technique can be ridden very low as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”