Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One kite for beginner: 7 or 11?

Forum for kitesurfers
maxilconte
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Julia, Grado (Italy)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

One kite for beginner: 7 or 11?

Postby maxilconte » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am

Hi, I'm an italian beginner from northeast Italy. I'm going to buy my first kite but I'm confused. First of all due to "economic situation" I can't, for the moment, afford two kites; this would be a second step... My friend, kiter since years, is pushing me to buy a 11 meter kite: he say that my local spot are with low speed winds and so it would be more suitable. Since I'm a beginner I think that it could be better to buy a 7-8 meter kite: I prefer to ride safer... I've posted the same question on an italian kite forum and they suggested me to buy a 8 meter.
My weight is 75 kgs; winds are from south (Scirocco, around 25 kn) and northeast (Bora... from 20 to more than 70 kn ;-) )

Thanks!

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Re: One kite for beginner: 7 or 11?

Postby wrogu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 pm

25 kts avarage wind is not really a low wind. For your weight for kiteboarding on a TwinTip board a 9m kite with decent range should cover 15kts to 35 kts. Note that the sweetspot will be around 20 kts. or around it - 18-23/25 kts. The larger the kite the earlier you start (but the top end greatly suffers), the smaller the better top end is.

I could cover easily 18-4x kts winds on a decent 7m kite. However the question is how often do you get stable 18 kts wind.... :wink:

You have to pick the conditions you will be missing out. :cry:

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 pm

7/8m è troppo piccola, senza dubbio, te ne pentiresti
prendi una 9/10m, e riuscirai a usarla quasi sempre
PS lo scirocco a 25kn lo becchi solo ogni tanto... magari ci fosse sempre :-)

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 pm

If you are a beginner, it is safer to kite in lower wind speeds with a bigger kite. You should not be going out in wind speeds that require a 7m. If your kite is too small for the wind speed, then you will not be able to get up and ride and will not have any fun at all. Get an 11m kite and learn in 10-20 knot winds. If your local conditions are really as consistently windy as you say, maybe a 9m and up to 25 knots, but I really think you shouldn't be learning in higher wind speeds.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I agree with everything said already. It seems safer to get a smaller kite but that means you will need stronger winds to go out in.

See what your teacher recommends when you take lessons, if it is really 25 knots on the low end then an 8 or 9 meter would probably be good. I am very well powered on an 8m c-kite in 25 knots at 65kg

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Good advice,from above posts. When I was learning, I progressed a lot quicker with a 12m in lighter winds. I found stronger winds to be gustier, which makes life harder IMO. If your lucky enough to have constant, not gusty 25k wind, then 7- 9m. Bigger kites don't react as fast, so have an advantage for beginners. A small kite reacts quickly in comparison, so a small pull of the bar will exagerate the movement of the kite, compared to a larger kite, and pull you all over the place. DO NOT EVER buy a cheap 'C' shape kite to learn on ! Lessons are a must.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 am

x2

in the beginning style doesn't matter but horsepower does! You want to get up - And you want to get going! Doesn't matter how 'pretty' it may look, style comes with confidence and that comes later.

Once you've advanced get a smaller board. Your big 'wind machine' will always be a good trainer for new moves and tricks. Your 'bigger' kite will always have a purpose in your life as a kiter (besides of being emotionally attached to it because it was your first one)

peace

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:46 am

if you truely have constant 25 + knots then a 12 is too big. but is that actually the case? i don't think theres many places in the world that can boast constant 25+ winds.

anyway based on your info i'd say 9m. 7 is too small 11 possible too big. the one kite quiver for most places will be a 9 or 10m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”