Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

East Coaster relocating to California - Where should I look?

Forum for kitesurfers
Disco D
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jersey and Hatteras
Gear: Mixed Flexi quiver.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

East Coaster relocating to California - Where should I look?

Postby Disco D » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:38 pm

I am considering a possible job relocation to Southern/Central California and want to know the best town to kite and raise a family. I have a 3yr old and 4 month old so schools and kid friendly towns will become more important as they get older. I can live anywhere about an hour from a major airport. I have been riding since 2000 and consider myself an expert level wave sailor.

I have narrowed it down to either Ventura Co or near Huntington Beach vicinity.

Thanks in advance,

Danny

kitenake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pismo
Favorite Beaches: portugal spain australia
Style: WAKE
Gear: slingy fuels
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: East Coaster relocating to California - Where should I l

Postby kitenake » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:22 pm

family then Santa cruzzzzzz or san jose or sf

party then Santa Barbara.

no kiting in Huntington or la place sucksssss
:jump: :jump: :jump:

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm

No wind in SoCal.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

There is certainly wind in SoCal - but lighter than many famous places.

I know many kiters in the Huntington Beach/Seal Beach/ Long Beach areas who get 150-200 plus days of kiting per year.

Wind generally from 10mph to 18mph from April through September, and 15-25mph for clearing winds during rest of year.

Those living fairly close to those areas, with right gear, and/or willing to drive will get those 150-200 sessions a year.

Huntington Beach is a very decent area, close to beaches, and with good schools, and lots of activities.

Good luck!

Disco D
Medium Poster

Postby Disco D » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 am

Anyone else care to comment? Is Huntington 10mph average with gusts to 18 or late afternoon with averages of 18 with higher gusts?

Whats the kiting scene like in Ventura and Santa Barbara? Is it windy enough for a 10M-12M powered for down the line and jumping at least a few days a week?

I am used to traveling to Hatteras 6+hrs to get really good riding.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 am

I am an East Coaster (own property on OBX) and have lived in Central California and Southern California. If I had an option to live anywhere in California, and had the money to afford it then no way would I consider anything South of LA.
The conditions between Santa Barbara to San Simeon (C-Street, Jalama, Pismo, Pico Creek, Laguna Arroyo) are world class and it is an absolutely beautiful stretch of Coast.
Is it windy enough for a 10M-12M
I think most people in Central California ,do not know what a 12 is. In late Spring to August it is routinely 25-30+. It is really windy. The other thing I did not realize is that the wind is stronger out in California, because the air is cold and dry not hot and humid like Hatteras.
Then there is Santa Cruz and the Bay Area. The kitesurfing in Santa Cruz such as Wadell are about as good as it gets. And the surfing is also world class. Perfect side shore conditions and you can ride a 8 meter most of the time. It is much easier than Hatteras in that there is no fighting with beach break or rediculous current.
Or the Bay area which also blows like a mofo. You can split the difference too such as around San Jose, and have both worlds. So if it is firing on the Coast you can head out to Santa Cruz, if not stay on the Bay and ride places like Crissy Field, Coyote, 3rd Avenue, and many more. Hatteras is a windy place, but during their season it is windier and more consistent. I would say that Hatteras is more year round wind. You will miss 15 mile downwinders, and trunking it.
All of these locations have really nice cities and towns, but the one thing with CA is that these really nice locations usually have a pretty big price tag to live there.
I am not going to doubt that someone who works real hard, has a lot of big gear could get 150 days in Southern Ca, but I lived there back in my wind surfing days. I surfed all the time, and it was great, but never once went wind surfing or was motivated to do so. When I lived in Central CA, it was always nuking. If you have a choice between Central CA, and Souther CA then there is no choice.
The lifestyle is real different in all these places. If I was you I would land in LAX for a visit. Do not head South. Get on the 101 and head West. Check out Ventura, Santa Barbara, (Stop at Wadell), Santa Maria, San Luis Obisbo, then end at San Simeon. Then cruz through Big Sur, past Monterey up to Santa Cruz. At this point once you have seen this strip of coast, you probably will not want to live anywhere else. It is pretty amazing. But then cut across to San Jose, and check out all those cities and towns up and into San Fran.

Disco D
Medium Poster

Postby Disco D » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks SSK - Great summary that will really help others make decision. I am torn with the cost of living and the possibility of having to give up my place in OBX :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”