Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Tips for traveling with Surf board?

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm headed on a trip in March that will require the travel on two airlines (JetBlue and American Airlines) and I would like to bring a surf board. I have a golf style bag for twin tips, but this is a wave destination and I'd have a lot more fun if I could bring my personal board along. I will not have the opportunity to rent/buy a surf board while there.

I have read all kinds of tips from how prohibitively expensive it is to travel with your board, to folks saying just tip the skycap and don't worry about it. Since I suspect surfers fly with their boards on a regular basis, there has to be an easier way than me paying a high bag fee 4 times (twice on the way out and twice on the way back, due to two different airlines).

So, what is the easiest way to travel by plane with your surf board? Having it travel safely for the least cost.

Appreciate any additional tips or feedback. I'd be flying with a Slingshot board so would hope it is more durable for travel than a traditional foam core board not designed for kiteboarding. At least that's what I've been told...that the kite companies make a more durable board because they know we beat on it with harnesses, jumps and wrecks.

Thanks!

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tips for traveling with SURF board?

Postby mike dubs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Get proper nose and tail protection blocks from a surf company, cover in thick cardboard, put pipe lagging on the rails and put in a good board bag. Pay the baggage and stick it in the hold. You can put kites, wetsuit, harness in the board bag if it's big enough for extra padding.

Mike

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ecoastprock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Be prepared to pay at least 100$ each way. Pack the board very well with foam noodles around the rails, bubble wrap and towels/wetsuits covering the nose and tail. Take the fins out and remove the wax from the board. Pack the board in a travel surfboard bag, they are made stronger than day bags and provide additional support. These bags usually have wheels which makes traveling through airports much easier.

Heres the X Factor:

When you arrive at the desk to check your bags, kiss ass to that attendant like youve never kissed ass before. The last time i went on a trip the person in front of us was a HUGE ass to the attendant. We stepped up after them and were incredibly, overly nice and patient. She was so relieved that she didnt charge us a penny for any of our bags, 2 of which were overweight. She saved us over $200 just because we were nice to her. They have the power to either screw you over and charge you full price for everything (some airline charge over $175 PER SURFBOARD in a bag) or charge you nothing.

PS You only pay for the bags when you check them. If you have a connecting flight you still only pay 1 time. You pick up your bags when you arrive at your final destination.

Good luck

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:I'm headed on a trip in March that will require the travel on two airlines (JetBlue and American Airlines) and I would like to bring a surf board. I have a golf style bag for twin tips, but this is a wave destination and I'd have a lot more fun if I could bring my personal board along. I will not have the opportunity to rent/buy a surf board while there.

I have read all kinds of tips from how prohibitively expensive it is to travel with your board, to folks saying just tip the skycap and don't worry about it. Since I suspect surfers fly with their boards on a regular basis, there has to be an easier way than me paying a high bag fee 4 times (twice on the way out and twice on the way back, due to two different airlines).

So, what is the easiest way to travel by plane with your surf board? Having it travel safely for the least cost.

Appreciate any additional tips or feedback. I'd be flying with a Slingshot board so would hope it is more durable for travel than a traditional foam core board not designed for kiteboarding. At least that's what I've been told...that the kite companies make a more durable board because they know we beat on it with harnesses, jumps and wrecks.

Thanks!
With the two different airlines that is a bummer. I think your best bet is to ship it. Here is a link where they referenced using amtrak/greyhound for about $50 each way

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthre ... -surfboard

Other people have mentioned fedex coming in cheap like $30 each way.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Like ecoastprock said you should only have to check your bags once and pay once in each direction even with different airlines. That is unless for some reason you have to collect your bags and change airports half way. I had to do this once in NY on an Indo trip. A huge pain.

A lot depends upon which airline and the mood of the counter person. Delta is the worst. Avoid them if possible but all US based airlines are bad compared to a few years ago.

Have fun on your trip Captain!

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Re: Tips for traveling with Surf board?

Postby tony montana » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 am

Reson i got north nugget,tired of delta ripping me off,best travel surfboard ever,and best one board quiver,TONY

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am

Reson i got north nugget,tired of delta ripping me off
After reading Delta's policy how does that save you money? Are you saying it is small enough that they do not charge you as an oversized bag. The way I read the policy was that 62 inches was the sum of length, width, and height. I would think if you boxed the Nugget it would be about 80 inches (5’0” X 21” X 2 3/8)
To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, your checked bag must:
weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less
not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 am

robg wrote:Like ecoastprock said you should only have to check your bags once and pay once in each direction even with different airlines. That is unless for some reason you have to collect your bags and change airports half way. I had to do this once in NY on an Indo trip. A huge pain.

A lot depends upon which airline and the mood of the counter person. Delta is the worst. Avoid them if possible but all US based airlines are bad compared to a few years ago.

Have fun on your trip Captain!
Sometimes you can have a single ticket with a codeshare that runs multiple airlines, but Im reasonably sure that if you are on two different airlines you collect your bags and then check them in at the next airline. I dont think they have the capability to run bags through between airlines unless the ticket was booked that way (very rare but american does it with international airlines like iberia, cathay etc).

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:48 am

Hi captain,for me like others i bought a short board ; north nugget, and it fits in my standard board bag with a tt.less is always the best to deal with these funker :angryfire: Good luck. :thumb:

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm

SSK wrote:
Reson i got north nugget,tired of delta ripping me off
After reading Delta's policy how does that save you money? Are you saying it is small enough that they do not charge you as an oversized bag. The way I read the policy was that 62 inches was the sum of length, width, and height. I would think if you boxed the Nugget it would be about 80 inches (5’0” X 21” X 2 3/8)
To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, your checked bag must:
weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less
not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height
north160 combi bag north nugget fits, kites clothes,any hassle tell them its a body board,TONY

Return to “Kitesurfing”