Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Ball-type kite bladder 1-way valve repairs

Postby GregK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Ever had a bladder where the perforated bladder film securing the ball has torn, allowing the ball to escape into the bladder - here's a great fix, assuming you have access to the inside of the bladder :
The mesh is much stronger than bladder film with a bunch of holes, less flexible, and let the air past with a lot less pressure drop ( i.e. resistance to pumping ).Here's what it looks like from the inside :

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ball-type kite bladder 1-way valve repairs

Postby Séb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Good idea but I hate thoses valves, the ball do not work consistently to stop the air coming out. The Airtime or Kitefix valve is much better IMO if you want conventional valves. Also, you have lot's of wrinkles there. I've replace lots of valves like the one in your picture.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I like it. Being lazy though and not having access to the inside of the bladder, I would probably just say let the ball be in the bladder. Pump up the strut then pinch off the valve stem and insert the stopper. All of my old Core GT kites work this way. In fact, I notice my old Cores are much easier to pump up than any of my kites with ball or flapper valves.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
CANADA

Postby GregK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, it has wrinkles because the vinyl base of the valve was permanently deformed, it would not sit flat, even with the bladder film around it fixtured. However, with the valve base still securely attached to the bladder, the wrinkles are not a leak path.

This came to me as a request to replace this inflate valve with a stick-on valve, but why cut off a valve when the problem is with the film securing the ball.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

We already have a redesigned StickIT! Inflate 9mm BALL valve available in our product line, which has stronger "stopper" part which won't break and which allow even easier pumping due to 3 enlarged air holes while still having full non-return feature of the ball valve.

New oversized die cut valve pads will soon be available also as a part of our repair kits.

:bye:

stephk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stephk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 pm

GregK wrote:Ever had a bladder where the perforated bladder film securing the ball has torn, allowing the ball to escape into the bladder - here's a great fix, assuming you have access to the inside of the bladder :
The mesh is much stronger than bladder film with a bunch of holes, less flexible, and let the air past with a lot less pressure drop ( i.e. resistance to pumping ).Here's what it looks like from the inside :
Great fix Greg! I like the idea of fixing the valve as opposed to replacing it completely.
Thumbs up to Comox Kite Repair! :thumb:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
CANADA

Postby GregK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Seb - ball valves that do not seal properly are usually caused by a rough ball surface ( typically a cheap injection-molded ball with flash along the parting line ) which prevents the ball from sitting flush and sealing against the valve bore. When a nice round & smooth ball is used, they usually work well.

Gigi - nice large 3-hole ball-cover - is the cover TPU or vinyl ? Does the ball end up sitting over & covering one hole during inflation ?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 am

GregK wrote:Seb - ball valves that do not seal properly are usually caused by a rough ball surface ( typically a cheap injection-molded ball with flash along the parting line ) which prevents the ball from sitting flush and sealing against the valve bore. When a nice round & smooth ball is used, they usually work well.
Let me tell you what cause them to not work well here....minus 20C or colder! That is why I hate thoses standard valve and love the Cab/Core style. But over all that, I much prefer my Flysurfer during the winter. :wink:

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

Strong TPU, ball may sit over one hole, but even if it does so the air flow is better than with regular ones.

:thumb:

GregK wrote:
Gigi - nice large 3-hole ball-cover - is the cover TPU or vinyl ? Does the ball end up sitting over & covering one hole during inflation ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”