Worn lines on 2013 Naish

Forum for kitesurfers
runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda
Brand Affiliation: None

Worn lines on 2013 Naish

Postby runner1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:50 pm

I have a new quiver of 2013 Parks (which I am loving) but noticed today quite obvious wear/fraying on the flying lines. It is at the point where the steering lines cross the centre lines after looping. I untwist my lines immediately on landing but have been doing a lot of rolls (and a few loops)

I only got the kites at Xmas and have used these lines less than a dozen times but I am already concerned about their condition. Is this a common problem? How frayed can the lines get before losing a significant portion of their strength? Any source for cheap replacement lines that you can suggest? Tips for prevention?

Thanks for your help.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Worn lines on 2013 Naish

Postby rightguard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

So are you saying that after a back roll... Your lines are twiste and you don't untwist them until you get to land?

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm

He means after landing a loop, not landing the kite, I'm sure.

Most lines show a bit of wear where the lines cross, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. They probably look worse than they are, especially if you get them wet and don't rinse them after a session. When you unwind them at the start of your next session the dried salt will make them look pretty nappy.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:02 pm

runner1 wrote:I have a new quiver of 2013 Parks (which I am loving) but noticed today quite obvious wear/fraying on the flying lines. It is at the point where the steering lines cross the centre lines after looping. I untwist my lines immediately on landing but have been doing a lot of rolls (and a few loops)

I only got the kites at Xmas and have used these lines less than a dozen times but I am already concerned about their condition. Is this a common problem? How frayed can the lines get before losing a significant portion of their strength? Any source for cheap replacement lines that you can suggest? Tips for prevention?

Thanks for your help.
Are you sure it is fraying though? I mean I have been using 1 bar since I got my parks late this summer, and I loop the kites quite a lot. No problem at all. Could it be the wax I think they have on the lines? I have used that bar a lot.
I do no maintenance, I doubt I have even rinsed the bar once. I do check my lines, and make sure I have no knots, but that is about it.

runner1
Medium Poster

Postby runner1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I spin my bar and then untwist the centre lines (if required) on landing each roll/loop. I rinse my bar and lines after use. Please see the photo to get an indication of how the line looks, I have included another section of the same line for comparison.

Cheers
Attachments
kite lines.JPG

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Oops sorry runner I read that wrong. That doesn't look so good. What lines are those? My outside lines are colored red and blue and my center lines are dark. Although I still have the 2012 bar.

sc
Medium Poster

Postby sc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I have always had wear like that, usually I wax the lines in the location of the wear. Never seams to get any worse after waxing, and I just use candle wax.

runner1
Medium Poster

Postby runner1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 am

Those are the centre lines, they are lighter than last years (i did not have any problems with my 2012 lines).

Thanks for the tip about the wax, I will give it a try.

Are these OK to carry on using or do i need to replace them? If so where is a good place to get cheap replacement lines from? Has anyone tried Ozone lines on the Naish bar?

Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 am

I dunno if this helps. These are my lines I've been using since this summer..I've put a lot of sessions on them...I cannot remember doing any kind of maintenance. This is the part closest to the swivel. It seems to have less wear. I also do loops rotations, and many times will have the center lines tangled until the swivel catches up.

My impression is that the park lines and bar are better than before...it seems like you have a lot more wear in a short amount of time?
Do you have the park bar or the ride bar?
Attachments
IMAG0417.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 am

could it be that you had one really catastrophic event? Where you lines were grinding hard on eachother? Like a crash, and getting dragged in waves for a significant about of time?

I self launch and land 50%+ of the time too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”