Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght

Forum for kitesurfers
Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing board vs Surfboard width vs.lenght

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Ive never seen production or custom surfboards follow that pattern through their size range. Some will preserve more width or introduce more hip or whatever as they size down within a range, but I haven't seen a model of board that is wider in its smaller sizes than in its larger sizes.

Just a quick look at any surfboard site like rusty, channel island or firewire and you can see the scaling of width and thickness within a model line scales in the same direction as lenght.

Of course you as an individual rider need various proportion boards that dont follow that simple scale to match to various conditions. My big board is 5 inches shorter than by little board.

A shaper that shapes you a quiver designed to cover a range of conditions will scale boards based more on volume, but thats not what is represented by different sizes of a board for retail. Those are pretty much across the board designed for different size riders.

Even a quiver of boards for one rider by a single shaper are not really boards of a same model. They are a small wave model up to a gun and would be analogus to multiple models within the range of any brand.

You can easily pick an appropriate quiver from any surf or even kite brand that follows the scaling you mention, but I dont see any difference in how kite and surf companies size their gear within any given model of board.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dr Makani » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 pm

mute point -

board sizes, shapes and fin assembly had been discussed since the beginning of time (or the 60ies for surfers)
Same for wake boards, twin tips, skim boards, ... - all have their own dynamics, purpose and therefor preference with riders.

peace

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Dr Makani wrote:mute point -

board sizes, shapes and fin assembly had been discussed since the beginning of time (or the 60ies for surfers)
Same for wake boards, twin tips, skim boards, ... - all have their own dynamics, purpose and therefor preference with riders.

peace

Shit! almost everything on here has been discussed to death and then some. Might as well shut er down.

Dr Makani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: CA, HI

Postby Dr Makani » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 am

Brent4336 wrote: Shit! almost everything on here has been discussed to death and then some. Might as well shut er down.
dam, you are right. I am such a rainmaker for parades :D
My bad and apologies

peace

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 am

Brent4336 wrote:Ive never seen production or custom surfboards follow that pattern through their size range. Some will preserve more width or introduce more hip or whatever as they size down within a range, but I haven't seen a model of board that is wider in its smaller sizes than in its larger sizes.

Just a quick look at any surfboard site like rusty, channel island or firewire and you can see the scaling of width and thickness within a model line scales in the same direction as lenght.
You're correct for "production" surfboards of the same model usually they follow the rule
shorter board = less width and longer board = more width probably assuming that the shorter board is for a lighter guy and the longer board is for a heavier guy.

Sorry but probably I don't explain correctly my question about surfboards............... :idea:
When I talk about surfboards I don't specify that I refer to "custom" surfboards (I prefer to buy custom surfboards) for the same person. So if I like a surfboard model and I want
the same model but shorter I would ask the shaper for more width and tickness.

So I was not comparing apples to apples. :nono:
Because I was comparing customs surfboards with production kite surfboards

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 am

Manuel V wrote:
You're correct for "production" surfboards of the same model usually they follow the rule
shorter board = less width and longer board = more width probably assuming that the shorter board is for a lighter guy and the longer board is for a heavier guy.

Sorry but probably I don't explain correctly my question about surfboards............... :idea:
When I talk about surfboards I don't specify that I refer to "custom" surfboards (I prefer to buy custom surfboards) for the same person. So if I like a surfboard model and I want
the same model but shorter I would ask the shaper for more width and tickness.

So I was not comparing apples to apples. :nono:
Because I was comparing customs surfboards with production kite surfboards
so then you can re-read my first answer.

A custom board shaper would obviously do the same while designing for different people.

Return to “Kitesurfing”