Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Low wind specs 14m Evo, Catalyst and RPM Need to choose!

Forum for kitesurfers
Ozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Hua Hin
Gokova
Alaçatı
Gokceada
Boracay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 10
North Rebel 13
Ozone Zephyr
Cabrinha Spectrum
Cabrinha Tronic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Low wind specs 14m Evo, Catalyst and RPM Need to choose!

Postby Ozzie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 am

Please HELP.. I really need reliable and honest comments. Thanks in advance

According to their websites;

North EVO - 11-23 knots

Ozone CATALYST - 7-21 knots (7-10 Advance riders, 11-15 Experts, 16-21 Experts w full power)

Slingshot RPM - 7-18 knots

I consider buying either one of above kites.(I will also buy smaller one for stronger wind). Wind around my location is not strong(Pattaya, Hua Hin, Pranburi). Does the wind rage really differ based on the information given on websites? All of them are quite different.

Based on Ozone website, with 7-8 knots Catalyst fly perfectly and is for Advance riders. On the other hand According to North website, EVO cant fly less than 11 knots...

Every individual brand distributor says like,

"My friend!, dont buy North or Slingshot because they dont fly good in low wind."
or
"North is great kite and fly well in low wind so we teach with these kites."
or
"RPM is perfect kite and fly perfect in low wind."
or
"Cabrinha and Airush are very good kites in low wind and others wont fly. Dot buy Slingshot or North..!!"

Is this really easy to make a difference like that.?? This is kinda big investment and I wanna buy something I like without any doubts.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Re: Low wind specs 14m Evo, Catalyst and RPM Need to choose

Postby RalfsB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 pm

The wind range table used by Ozone is confusing, the "full power" column is usually closest to what we would use in reality. The kite may fly in 7 knots but it will not pull (unless you are on skates and on smooth ice). In practice 14m Evo and Catalyst will have about the same bottom end, I would say they can be used starting from 12-14 knots, depending on conditions (flat/chop, etc.). I can't make a direct comparison, I have had a 14m Evo a while ago and my current Catalyst is 10m. I would assume that Evo's bottom end will be slightly better but Catalyst will have a better top end and better depower (but I may be wrong as well). I can't comment on RPM.

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Windranges vary depending on the model of the kite. It depends how the kite is designed and some kites are tuned to prefer prefer low end and some higher end.

The windrange depends highly on your weight. Usually windranges are stated for about 75-80kg riders. If you weight 15kg less then take 1-2 knots of from the low end. If you weight 15kg more then add 1-2 knots to low end. The same goes to higher end but light weigt need to take more of than you take from lower end.

I also doupt a bit if 80kg rider can ride powered up with Catalyst or RPM below 10knots even if riding a really wide board.

I think the North windrange is quite accurate for 75-80kg rider. Windranges have not changed much compared to last years but what I have noticed is that the really usefull area with 2013 models is wider so you really can ride comfortable the whole windrange. I have ridden with a 132*40 board 2013 Evo 10m2 at 12-13knots nicely with my 65kg. It goes upwind but really fun begins when it blows more than 14knots. With Rebel 12m2 and same board I have ridden in 10knots. For sure both kites would be better in higher wind but still I can get going.

I would say that usable (=actually riding) windranges of those kites are quite close each other. Since the kites are quite close each other I would consider the kites characteristicts and the feel of those a bit more than just pure windrange. I have not yet found other kites to have as direct feel in the bar as North kites have. For sure I would like to try those other kites also.

There are no more bad kites they just have different feeling when you ride those.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I also will say that the north wind ranges are pretty accurate. Well I know the 2012 rebel and Vegas ones were spot on. I'm 75kg so the charts are spot on for me.

I am yet to try a 14m catalyst although I may just be doing that when I can. But I did try the 10m cat and still maintain even this years needs a fair bit of wind over the wing. I will be corrected of course by those that have ridden it. Actually there is a guy on the local forum a team rider for zone I will ask him for you and get back. From my experience of evos there bottom end it pretty spot on, but they get sketchy near their top end.

Also would dispute the north is the most direct feel. My ozone edges have a very direct feel and the 15m C4 I demoed had a very very direct feel.

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

i tried a 12m rpm and needed much more wind to ride it than i did on my 12 evo, so i guess that would be the same for the 14m's..if you want a good all round kite that doesnt feel massive then look at the wainman 15 big mama, i think KBA still have stock, i bought 1 myself last year and wished i'd bought it months earlier, lots of adjustment and de-power so you will be covered for most of the windy days in hua hin,

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

For low wind, I find the ss Rally has more oomph than rpm.

Ozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Hua Hin
Gokova
Alaçatı
Gokceada
Boracay
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 10
North Rebel 13
Ozone Zephyr
Cabrinha Spectrum
Cabrinha Tronic

Postby Ozzie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:57 am

Westozzy wrote:I also will say that the north wind ranges are pretty accurate. Well I know the 2012 rebel and Vegas ones were spot on. I'm 75kg so the charts are spot on for me.

I am yet to try a 14m catalyst although I may just be doing that when I can. But I did try the 10m cat and still maintain even this years needs a fair bit of wind over the wing. I will be corrected of course by those that have ridden it. Actually there is a guy on the local forum a team rider for zone I will ask him for you and get back. From my experience of evos there bottom end it pretty spot on, but they get sketchy near their top end.

Also would dispute the north is the most direct feel. My ozone edges have a very direct feel and the 15m C4 I demoed had a very very direct feel.
I guess I would be fine for any kite I buy. At least I wouldnt really understand the difference until I get enough experince.

Have you heard from your guy by the way?

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi ozzie,the best way is always to try the kites before buying them,and when your talking low wind,your talking low wind board too,the board choice makes a biiiig difference,that said i tried the evo,rpm,and for the same size,the evo had much more low-end.Didn t try the catalyst,but i have seen a lot of 15m edges.My 2 cents, The Freak :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 pm

the ozone low end quoted ranges are not that realistic for the average rider.

disregard anything bellow expert perfectly power. so 11-14 would be the start point based on the chart.

ps i haven't ridden this size either.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 am

Be careful, there is a difference between a low wind kite and a big boy kite (i.e. heavy person kite) a 14m kite. For a me a low wind like must be able to relaunch in low wind too. I would be looking at either an Airush Varial x- race, Ozone edge or North Dyno. I've only flown the 17m Airush Varial and can confirm that it will relaunch in very very light winds, but I am really interested in the Dyno as it also has a "fifth line attachment" which should help it relaunch in even lighter winds "theoredically"!

I've flown the 14m catalyst, rpm and I own a 14m Varial X and they are all big boy kites, not a light wind kites.

Also look at the airush 18m Litium no strut or 17m Mauiboardriding no strut kite. also should work well in light winds i'd imagine

Return to “Kitesurfing”