Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dogstyle

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Yeah it does - when people ask what sport i do, i just say kitesurfing and they say - oh ive seen people with kites on the ocean and waves and some jumps... That covers it all... Apart from the guys who everyone has heard of who gets stuck in powerlines.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Yeah it does - when people ask what sport i do, i just say kitesurfing and they say - oh ive seen people with kites on the ocean and waves and some jumps... That covers it all... Apart from the guys who everyone has heard of who gets stuck in powerlines.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 am

Yes, to the uninitiated, it is known as kiteboarding, but to the enlightened, there are many discernable styles of riding, from freeride, to wave, to freestyle. I suppose what OP is trying to coin a term for is a style within the wave genre where one lives for the ride going offshore, and not the one heading towards shore. In other words, exactly the opposite of normal wave riding, where you are there to mainly surf, pretty much using the kite only as a vehicle to get to the next wave, and pressing upwind on the offshore reach. What I mainly do is press upwind on the onshore reach, and blast off the top of the ready-made ocean ramps for lunar boost. :thumb:

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 am

Kitesurfing = anything done on ocean with waves. Kiteboarding = anything done on flat water / rivers / lakes. If someone is doing loops/old school/ new school/ powered strapped or unstrapped hooked in/out ... on waves, coming into the beach and swapping boards etc - that just makes him a 'kitesurfer' plain and simple... Or do you stand on the beach calling him all sorts of names to define his style, move by move ?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:17 am

Ah human beings and their egoic need to tittle over words/definitions and their supposed absolute meaning. Just some vowels and constants made at the back of the throat or by passing sound through the teeth.

Lighten up, just a fun word about having fun on the water. I'm using it, cause its funny and somehow gets closer than kite....surfing. But not the entire truth. We are all brothers addicted to the water and wind in the end and everyone else can considered lame ass mother Guys wasting their pathetic lives away doing meaningless existentialist nothing activities. But then again we could be that to....lol.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:04 am

Just saying, if you went to a freestyle competition on a directional and started carving turns and stuff... You aren't going to fare well on the judges' scorecards. Same as if you went to a powerlifting competition and started doing yoga... What? It's all exercise! Same as if you went to an F1 race in your big-block Chevy Nova... Hey, racing is racing, right? If it's done in a car on a track, it's all the same! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really could go on and on!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:55 am

yes flight to is correct. except riding waves on the wave in is also half the fun. so its a 50/50 fun on the way out and in. ...

west ozz I notice you have more rage on this forum that seabrease. is it because there are bigger tools on here?

there will all ways be someone that dissagree's. no matter how profoundly cool the idea is!...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 am

plummet wrote:yes flight to is correct. except riding waves on the wave in is also half the fun. so its a 50/50 fun on the way out and in. ...

west ozz I notice you have more rage on this forum that seabrease. is it because there are bigger tools on here?

there will all ways be someone that dissagree's. no matter how profoundly cool the idea is!...
exactly :-)
maybe it is because he can actually meet some of those guys?
Keyboard rage. the most useful one.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Might be better to use a word that is a bit more descriptive than Dogstyle?

Does it look like this?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 pm

ronnie wrote:Might be better to use a word that is a bit more descriptive than Dogstyle?

Does it look like this?
Be careful now the aussie guy is going to come down on you with all..uhm some of his might ;-) hehe
I had the same thought as you.

Very nice video.Very few people can make a TT look good in waves...just a warning. it takes 3 minutes before any riding...

Return to “Kitesurfing”