Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Firewire normal FST surfboard durability for kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Firewire normal FST surfboard durability for kiting?

Postby omg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi,

has anyone used the Firewire surf construction (FST) boards for kitesurfing and what's the verdict?

I am looking for a low wind board for kitesurfing and found a good shape from Firewire, but how is the durability of the FST construction and would a layer of glass or two help on the deck help to increase the durability and avoid the breakage?

Although the board would be for low winds, I would use the board for strapless airs, rotations etc. so it will take some punishment although I am very tender on boards.

Another option is the kitesurf construction, but it would be good to know how heavy they are compared to FST models because I don't like boards over 3kgs.

Good wind and waves! :jump:

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Firewire normal FST surfboard durability for kiting?

Postby lander » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 pm

I had a firewire surfboard in the FST construction for a short period. I used it for both padling and strapless kitesurfing. I think I was unlucky with the board. There were nothing wrong with it, and I also had some good waves on it. But I never got a good feeling with the board. I guess it was a "monday" board.
But the board lasted the impact I gave it fine. I think if I had keept it for a longer period it would break at some point. But so does good boards...
I had a Resin8 after the firewire. It was the best board I have kited, but it also broke haha. For padling the board had a little to less volume for me.
Beside some Naish and some Slingshot boards I now have a Pukas and a Spider. Both I have given some extra layers og glass. The Pukas is so good I almost dont dare to use it. The spider I also got epoxy on. It is a good compromise of weigth/durability and the board I use mostly now.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windyway » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:30 pm

After several seasons on my strapless FST Quadflex, I finally put my front heels through the deck.
The board did not break, I did a major repair and am still using it.

I give up some durability to get the light weight and a flexy surfboard ride.
Put an NSI waffle pad on it, as you need a bit of cushion that wax doesn't offer.

Firewire makes a very durable surfboard or maybe try their re-inforced kite lineup.

WW
Firewire 6-0 Quadflex all around strapless
Firewire 5-8 Alternator big waves with NSI straps
Firewire 5-8 Dominator light air strapless
6m SS RPM, 9m SS Rally 12m SS Rally
Attachments
firewire quadflx 6-0a.jpg
firewire quadflx 6-0a.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm

FW really should make something for full grown mortals over 150lbs to be able to paddle in as well as kite imho. Just 3 sizes, say 33 36 40 L, would be really nice in a "kite" build, just to offer something to suit most kiters, since kiters tend to be males over 30, 160-200lbs, and less than expert at surfing.
Same old story...
Rode a friend's FST stealth in light wind last fall, it was great, but I was glad it was light wind, and treated it gently....
In the meantime if you want a mod other than just glass to add resilience and traction, you could also vac bag a 2-3mm layer of cork onto the deck, might not mess with flex as much as extra glass, works well for paddling. With resin would add about a pound to most boards...

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 am

I've been using the firewire FST boards for the last few years. Like the OP, don't care for the heavy construction directionals. The firewires will last longer than Epoxy Surfboards and much longer than standard PU construction. That said, they will still delaminate over time, usually where your front foot goes. If your after a board that's less than 3 kg with performance/lightness and still pretty durable, the firewire's are the ticket. Not as durable as the tufflite construction, but not as "corky feeling" either. I personally would not use my firewire's that I surf with for kiting. Instead, I search Craigslist regularly to find used ones for $150-300. I know people here use the same board for both, however, at $600 a pop for a new firewire, I'd rather beat up a used one from craiglist. Really fortunate to live in a surf town where there's always used firewires listed daily. Still looking out for a 5'10" dominator or a 5'6" sweet potato for a decent price. :D

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am

BWD wrote:FW really should make something for full grown mortals over 150lbs to be able to paddle in as well as kite imho. ...
That would be my 5-8 Dominator FST that is a floaty 31L and a wide tail.
It also comes in the kite construction.
iblocalsurfer wrote:Not as durable as the tufflite construction
Still looking out for a 5'10" dominator or a 5'6" sweet potato for a decent price.
The Surftech tufflites are as hard a china plate. They don't like chop and have zero flex.
Also, I picked up a massive used 6-0 Sweet Potato with volume of 51 liters,
and rode some nice waves in real 10 mph wind.
Its so big and floaty that I think my girl friend can use it for a SUP.
I'll take a 5-6 Sweet Potato too.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:28 am

yeah, my issue is I could use about 33-35L.
Time to give up beer?

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 am

They have more models for bigger riders coming out in the spring. Plus they are looking to let you choose any board from the surfboard line up and having it in kite construction which will be fantastic when they do it.

Mike

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Postby onein5 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Am very much enjoying my X-Surf 2013 6'0" - nice skatey board for small waves, and lovely for light wind kiting too. Maybe 300-400g heavier than a "normal" board - and a bit corky when you're padding it, but really nice to ride up to head and a half.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

mike, isn't that what they said last year or the year before?
Either way, I hope they do it!

edit:
Looking good according to press here: http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/11/2 ... -firewire/

Return to “Kitesurfing”