Forum for kitesurfers
sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite videos got too boring to watch!!!

Postby sfpete » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Another vote for those who say its boring - technically excellent - but repetitive and boring. Can you embed a poll on this site? Drive to the beach comment was spot on.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Bain wrote:Someone should make a video where the first minute of the video is them driving to the beach.

That would be epic
:rollgrin: exactly... sometimes you just want to get to the action but you have to ff about 2min to get to it :lol:

In all seriousness I think there could be a little better balance... incorporate all styles in the pro videos. I would think that pro riders could manage this. All the spinning does get tiresome after a while... so balance is key to keep up the excitement IMO.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm

well, one must say, that due to the nice slow motions, some wakestyle vids look already better.

That one trailer of the Triple S in Hatteras was pretty cool...

Still, I am sure the Red Bull King of the Air video will be a most watched for sure.
I just hope, they not only show Megaloops...that will be boring as well.
But having read the judging rules, we should see, besides Megaloops, big air all the way with passes, boardoffs, deadmen, grabs, spins etc.

And for sure not riders waking up and getting their gear ready ;-)

And yes, those Naish videos are something different...always nice to watch!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

just new: the list of the RB KotA riders: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379056

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

sfpete wrote:Another vote for those who say its boring - technically excellent - but repetitive and boring. Can you embed a poll on this site? Drive to the beach comment was spot on.
I keep preaching, we need to see more of the kites in the videos, less of the riders.

gargan
Medium Poster

Postby gargan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

i kinda see where all the anti WS sentiment s coming from id like to see videos with a few tricks in them that i could do with a little effort and that said heres a couple of videos from the west coat of Ireland with the irish champ. these are the kinda videos id like to see more of a few simple tricks a few big airs and some simple handle passes and bankrolls etc.

http://vimeo.com/13480441

http://vimeo.com/57753772

http://vimeo.com/42418178

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm gonna have to agree that most kiteboarding videos are boring. They all look the same and it's not just the wakestyle videos - the wave videos are just as tedious. Yes, the kiters have some serious skill. But after you've seen a couple, they all start to look the same. And as much as I like to be a contrarian I will also jump on the Naish bandwagon and say they make some of the more interesting videos out there.

danglemonkey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cornwall, UK
Style: Freestyle, Wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Shinn

Postby danglemonkey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Most of the kiters i know much prefer watching the varied videos or more old school riding. I only know a couple who prefer wakestyle. They are both top riders who already get sponsored kit. With this in mind, i'm suprised more companies don't target this majority with their videos, after all, isn't the whole point to gain sales (ultimately). As you can guess, i also find wakestyle vids boring, i don't mind dubstep, but that music is too intense for the footage usually, just doesn't fit the general mood of the vids imo. I did like hidden lines part 2 when they show slowed down wakestyle footage to a nice chilled tune. Still, i'd take wakestyle over a video full of sliding along rails.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Totally agree with the topic. In fact, I just pre-payed for Toby's upcoming DVD, hopping to see something other than WS handle passes. I forgot when I payed for a video last time, so it got to tell you how much I miss watching something other than WS.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

alexeyga wrote:Lets not turn this thread into another FR vs FS vs WS bashing please.

There are actually dudes out there who like fat girs. I'm not one of them and I don't like all that wake-style mambo-jumbo. JENS you're totally right - I don't like doing Wake tricks and I don't like watching wake tricks because from the visual point of view that stuff simply doesn't flow and that's the main topic of this thread - Wake videos are dead boring to watch!

Problem is, pretty much all videos made these days are WAKE. And this is a worrisome because there's much more to Kiteboarding than grabs and passes.
I'm sorry but I honestly think that was the intent. If it's the repetition of the videos that bores you why bother with them? The same can be said about all forms of entertainment. All TV is the same, same played out lines rescrambled and said by different actors. All sports are the same over and over again. Music is well you got it the same.

You came here and singled out wakestyle. There are other videos out there. I know Toby's video is not my cup of tea so I have not watched it or any of his shorts he posted for it. There are tons of surf, and big air vids out there. Watch what entertains you don't bash what entertains other. If there is more of one type sorry but that must mean it is the most popular deal with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”