Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SS Dialer 5'10 - is it any good?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

SS Dialer 5'10 - is it any good?

Postby omg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 pm

So what's the verdict on Dialer? SS brings it on for three years now, pretty much unchanged so it seems that at least they think it's good, but what do you feel about it?

I am in between that and Celeritas, I know they are different boards, but Celeritas should be an early planer after all...

Thanks!

boatppl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Dewey Beach, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Avon, NC
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SS Dialer 5'10 - is it any good?

Postby boatppl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm

search keyword: dialer and author: CaptainArgh for SS board and Dialer reviews.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 am

thanks, I did try to search and read everything written about it here, but still no clear view on it as some say it is really slow and stiff to turn, some the opposite.

What I am looking for is a lightwind board, which should especially work in strapless airs in lower winds. Would this fit the bill here?

Thanks!

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I like mine for light winds. The fins are quite deep so it's easy to ride relatively flat in the lulls. It's not the fastest turning board you will ever ride, but you can still have some fun on it. It's also easy to stomp the power out of it when the wind comes up. Mine is the version without the strap inserts, the other one would be too heavy/stiff. I haven't ridden any of the other SS so I can't compare but I have ridden a lot of different surf boards.

p__han1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island, GA
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Tybee Island, GA
Sullivans Island, SC
Islamorada, FL
Huguenot park, FL
Style: wake/surf/big air!
Gear: 2012 Slingshot fuels 9m and 13M
2011 Slingshot fuel 7m. I need an 11!
Supershinn
Slingshot asylum
5'11" Slingshot Celeritas
5'11" slingshot tyrant
Ion apex harness
Brand Affiliation: AOK Team Rider
Been thanked: 0

Postby p__han1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 am

Very big +1 for the celeritas. Especially for light winds. It planes very quickly and has me still kiting when everyone else is still sitting on the beach. I weigh 185 and ride the 5'll" bamboo version strapless. Greet in light wind and mushy waves. If I have more power and bigger waves, I move onto my 5'll tyrant.

If ever the day is questionable though, the celeritas is my goto board!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 pm

alpower, thanks for the feedback! I am definitely thinking abt the strapless version if I go with Dialer. How do you find it for strapless airs?

p__han1, I didn't know that there is a Celeritas 5'11 strapless version as well. In the brochure it says only Tyrant 6'1 (which I have), then Celeritas 5'8 and Dialer. How do you find it for strapless airs?

Btw. have any of you heel dented the strapless versions? At least mine is really light and soft, although I put extra layer of glass on top deck...

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am

The Dialer is built pretty bomber so it doesn't have the feel a poly board would. No heal dents or any other dings as of yet and I've had it a little over a year. It's got a pretty flat rocker which carries right through to the tail, plus a fair amount of volume, so it's not the best for popped jumps. It's OK off the waves but I kite mostly on the Great Lakes and am mostly dealing with wind swell, so when the swell is big enough to really air, I'm on a different board, becasue the wind is over 20.

Return to “Kitesurfing”