boards getting bigger?

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: boards getting bigger?

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm

edt wrote:Despite what you might have heard the contact is not a recoil clone the kaos was supposed to ride most like a recoil but both the recoil and kaos and contact are gone now and you won't find an exact match anymore. 134 is too big, get 130. If you aren't riding until you get to maui you can always buy it there.
If you are looking for a board similar to the kaos, you will be looking at this year's Element, or last year's Nova. They are very similar, just minor refinement and a name change :) Excellent boards for cruising and freestyle, they have a ton of pop and ride super fast so you get a lot of low end.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm

C Johnson wrote:smaller boards are easier to flip between your fingers.

isn't that right toby?
sure, better for flips, spins, passes.

But not too light! They need some weight, otherwise they fly away when doing kickflips!

doggy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Hayling Island, Majanicho
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle, Surf
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby doggy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 am

dyyylan wrote:
edt wrote:Despite what you might have heard the contact is not a recoil clone the kaos was supposed to ride most like a recoil but both the recoil and kaos and contact are gone now and you won't find an exact match anymore. 134 is too big, get 130. If you aren't riding until you get to maui you can always buy it there.
If you are looking for a board similar to the kaos, you will be looking at this year's Element, or last year's Nova. They are very similar, just minor refinement and a name change :) Excellent boards for cruising and freestyle, they have a ton of pop and ride super fast so you get a lot of low end.

The Kaos was nothing like the Recoil or recoil Comps, completely different outline, base
shape and much more flex. The Contact was the closest with just a little more flex than the Recoils. The Nova was the direct replacement of the Kaos and was similar, the Element is a completely different board all together, it is far stiffer than the Kaos and has much deeper base channels, its super responsive, fast and produces huge pop. It is a bit like a DLX with a flat rocker line.

Over recent years my personal twin tip boards have been a 134 Recoil and Recoil comp, 138 Influence with boots then 137 Contact and now a 137 Influence, I am 65kg.

It all depends what you want to do, if you just want to go boosting then a small board is good as you can hold down lots of power but for everything else it is not efficient enough or stable on landings.
Last edited by doggy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 am

doggy wrote:
dyyylan wrote:

The Kaos was nothing like the Recoil or recoil Comps, completely different outline, base
shape and much more flex. The Contact was the closest with just a little more flex than the Recoils. The Nova was the direct replacement of the Kaos and was similar, the Element is a completely different board all together, it is far stiffer than the Kaos and has much deeper base channels, its super responsive, fast and produces huge pop. It is a bit like a DLX with a flat rocker line.

Over recent years my personal twin tip boards have been a 134 Recoil and Recoil comp, 138 Influence with boots then 137 Contact and now a 137 Influence, I am 65kg.

It all depends what you want to do, if you just want to go boosting then a small board is good as you can hold down lots of power but for everything else it is not efficient enough or stable on landings.
How much stiffer is the Element compared to the Nova? I haven't gotten to try it yet, still loving my nova.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 am

I like how Nobile size their fifty50 boards. I ride a 140x40. The longer length helps with the chop and narrower width makes it easy to hold down power for more explosive pop. Most other boards I see in the 140 size are between 42-45cm wide. Sure good for boots, but hard to hold down power with straps

Paul_M
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish, BC

Postby Paul_M » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 am

Thanks to all for your input on this.
I think I'll try before I buy.

doggy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Hayling Island, Majanicho
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle, Surf
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby doggy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 am

dyyylan wrote:
How much stiffer is the Element compared to the Nova? I haven't gotten to try it yet, still loving my nova.
The Element is very stiff, about the same as the DLX if you have tried or seem one of those?

The stiffness gives it it's responsiveness and pop. The channels produce really good grip when edging but when you ride flat you can slide it round really easily as the fins are only 1''. I think it is the best freestyle board I have ever used and I have tried a lot!!! I am riding the Influence this year though, even though the Element was amazing because our beach can be quite wavy so need something with a little comfort and softer landings to save my knees!
Last edited by doggy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonB
Rare Poster

Postby RonB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:57 pm

yes have noticed as well that boards becoming bigger and bigger. when i started boards around 136-137 seemed to be for big guys but now it seams quite average size.

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Maybe I'm wrong...

Everybody seems to think that the "only important size" when choosing a board is the width...but if I change the stance in my board ( example: 4 cm larger ) I can feel a really big difference in how the board performs. I think that's because the force from your foots act differently on the tips. So can we say that with the SAME stance ALSO the width does matters???

I wonder this because I always rode with board 132x41 cm with a stance of 42 cm between inner inserts ( I'm 70 kg for 173 cm ) and now moving with a board 136x41 cm ( youripro 2012 ) same stance, I have some difficult to edging unhooked when well powered...( I ride only with straps ).

Of corse a bit O.T. but I'd like to know what do you think about it. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”