Forum for kitesurfers
lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: IKA new course racing equipment for 2013

Postby lander » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 am

Gunnar :thumb:
Last q: where does it say anything about 5,5 kg for 2013 ?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 am

In the Agenda for the AGM. This was published a few weeks ago and also advertised on Kiteforum.

Here is the direct link to the document.

Basically everything regarding equipment (Submission 1) was passed.

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... agenda.pdf

Like the OT post of the IKA News says: "The minutes will be published soon, but here is a brief overview of the most important topics already:"

So there will be a much more detailed publication of the AGM minutes and the rules on the IKA page will be updated. Remember that the IKA is not some huge organisation and that Markus pretty much has to do all the News, Updates and paperwork by himself, and he also has a family and and a job. So some patience for the guy please.

I am sure this will be online next week sometime.

--
Gunnar

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Alex: make boards stronger? Do they break? never heard about it.
Hi Toby, Yes I am afraid that there are allot of raceboards having warranty problems out in the market . I an effort to build them lightweight, it causes many problems with keeping them from falling apart. Making boards in large numbers also makes it hard to keep real good quality control. If there is a mistake in the production procedure, it is usually found after 100 boards have already the same problem. Or if there is a known problem with a board, it usually gets covered up and sent to the end user anyway, quotas have to be met. Once a board is painted up, they all look good!
Usual problems are the same as in windsurfing boards: leaking inserts or boxes, board gets soft under heels, total delamination areas in the hot sun or board bag, boxes crooked, or extreme differences in the weight of the same model boards.
Basically, you get what you pay for...

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm

gmb13 wrote:In the Agenda for the AGM. This was published a few weeks ago and also advertised on Kiteforum.

Here is the direct link to the document.

Basically everything regarding equipment (Submission 1) was passed.

Like the OT post of the IKA News says: "The minutes will be published soon, but here is a brief overview of the most important topics already:"

So there will be a much more detailed publication of the AGM minutes and the rules on the IKA page will be updated. Remember that the IKA is not some huge organisation and that Markus pretty much has to do all the News, Updates and paperwork by himself, and he also has a family and and a job. So some patience for the guy please.

I am sure this will be online next week sometime.

--
Gunnar
Thanks again Gunnar. That was the document I could not find. And as you say - big respect to the guys that work hard so that an international class is existing. The rule D 1.4 Grandfathering has not been mentioned in the brief, so exiting what will be the message here. Guess it did not pass since it is not there ?

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm

The new rule should only affect the new entrants to the list. If your already on the list they don't have any rules that will pull you off it yet do they?

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ozchrisb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 am

gbleck wrote:The new rule should only affect the new entrants to the list. If your already on the list they don't have any rules that will pull you off it yet do they?
I was trying to find the page that said if your board was older and under weight you had to bring it up to weight, but that page seems to be gone or something.
Gunnar I think that's why these threads happen. You say we should have time to read the rules, but every time I try I find a different version. Or people start quoting an agenda as a new rule because the IKA site isn't very clear. I get that it's a spare time thing for the folks who run it, but it does help show that we're maybe not ready for things like the Olympics when we can't even find the rules.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 am

thx Alex, wasn't aware of this.

ozchrisb: that's what forums are for...someone will have an answer for you! :thumb:

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 am

ozchrisb wrote:
gbleck wrote:The new rule should only affect the new entrants to the list. If your already on the list they don't have any rules that will pull you off it yet do they?
I was trying to find the page that said if your board was older and under weight you had to bring it up to weight, but that page seems to be gone or something.
I cant find it either on the ika site - but it is written in the doc that Gunnar linked in the post above:

But as Gunnar wrote - an official note is suposed to be released soon. Interesting to see what the future of the sport looks like. So fare I think it goes in the right direction. The only but I got, is that it would be nice knowing these new things a little sooner, in order to have more time to prepare. Prefered before the end of a season. In this way both producers and buyers of equipment can have it into consideration when preparing next season. And when you got a format that works. Then dont change it. Keeps it more simple for everybody. But ofcourse when the sport is so new and devellops so fast - the rules have to follow and addapt.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 pm

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FrederikS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 pm

I was under the impression that most of the issues regarding the approved race boards was poor manufacturing quality and continuity rather than strength of the actual boards? (fin box misalignment, delamination in fatigue prone and high strain areas, bad dimensioning etc.).

Upping the weight is most likely just going to change the design envelope for the board designers as they now have more mass to play with. Some of the things that are probably holding back the dimensions (in non restricted areas) is the weight concern, upping the minimum weight could lead to even larger and just as fragile designs.

Also adding more material to current designs might not gain any significant durability advantage and can if poorly implemented cause an even weaker design. There are also the clear cases where the durability issues arise after misuse of the board, like jumping and so on.

I am all for a good box rule, but I think this may miss the target and make boards even more expensive than they are today contrary to the intentions (I guess).

Some interesting things could be:
- Imposing use of standard components for boards like: fin boxes, strap attachments etc. (not one manufacturer, but one standard)
- Structural demands on aft part of hull where the majority of forces act (all boards must comply to a set of load tests, these are very easy to implement)

Return to “Kitesurfing”