Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflated bladders for extended time period?

Forum for kitesurfers
unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Inflated bladders for extended time period?

Postby unbob » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 am

I'm camped on the playa in Baja - so no need to deflate, pack-up and travel at the end of my session.

Thus, I've been leaving my kite(s) inflated overnight or even for several days (under cover protected from sun). I do release some pressure to reduce stress on the material.

Anyone know a good reason I should not be doing this? If so, please enlighten me!

Gracias, Rob

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Inflated bladders for extended time period?

Postby sarc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:20 am

From some posts I saw a few years back, I remember people reported no problem at all by leaving inflated.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 am

I would be more careful or at least keep a spare packed away just in case. You never know what might happen....

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmeyers12 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 am

If there is wind, I know that leaving your kite inflated will damage the trailing edge of your kite over time in the same way the wind weakens the material of a flag. I have had two kites that I have left in the wind too long as I relaxed between sessions. And, over time, the trailing edge began to come apart/rip and I had to have the trailing edge reinforced.

But yes, it is very nice to wake up to an inflated/ready to be flown kite. So perhaps it is well worth leaving the kite inflated! :D

(As far as damage to the bladders/valves, I am interested to see what people say as well).

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:00 pm

mmeyers12 wrote:If there is wind, I know that leaving your kite inflated will damage the trailing edge of your kite over time in the same way the wind weakens the material of a flag. I have had two kites that I have left in the wind too long as I relaxed between sessions. And, over time, the trailing edge began to come apart/rip and I had to have the trailing edge reinforced.
Not a problem for me - kites are stored in a protected shelter - so no wind or sun damage can occur. But yes, I take your point.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 pm

I have some friends that leave their struts inflated all the time, and there doesn't seem to be much of an issue. We replace kites with new ones fairly often though, so I'm not sure about long-long-term.

I believe the only potential problem you could run into is if the heat changes too much which causes the pressure to change inside the bladders (IE, leaving the kite in a hot garage). If it's indoors in a stable temp it's probably fine

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby HAMLINDP » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:55 am

Just DON'T leave the struts inflated in your car, in the sun!

I did that once.

I won't do that again ;)

Be aware that PMU probably believes that people who live struts inflated are scientifically inferior to people who don't. :rollgrin:

David :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”