Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: gopro camera fogging condensation solutions - mytest res

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:18 am

alexrider wrote:
Snowkiter1963 wrote:I just leave it in the freezer for atleast 1 hour with the case close but unlock. When I am ready to go, I lock the cover while still in the freezer. Never had condensation since I do that. 8)
10 minutes or less will do, even in a fridge. The air in the case will quickly be as dry as the air in the fridge. :thumb:
As soon as you open the fridge door, it gets condensation on it.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 am

Rain-X Anti-Fog on the camera and case lenses, and I have never had a second of footage ruined by fogging.

braveman
Medium Poster

Postby braveman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:22 am

That test is great !
seems like there are a few ways to get rid of that fogging issue...

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
alexrider wrote: ...
10 minutes or less will do, even in a fridge. The air in the case will quickly be as dry as the air in the fridge. :thumb:
In theory, but not in practice. Close the case when still in the fridge.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 pm

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
No in theory the fridge method makes sense,
The problem of fogging is caused by humid air on the inside fogging the camera when the outside gets colder than the air....causing the humid air on the inside to condense on the inside of the lens when the lens gets colder than the original air that's trapped inthere.....such as during a water submersion.
When you take the sealed camera out of the fridge you will get condensation on the OUTSIDE. Not a problem because the air on the inside is cold and dry due to the reduced amount of moisture cold air is able to absorb.

Of course opening it up for any reason (battery change etc) will kill any effect this has as it relys on the case being totally air tight. I suspect there is some air leakage that will occur so Given long enough the effects will be lost.

I wouldn't expect it to help if you have to drive say an hour or 2 to your local kite spot.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Torch
Neo's

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 pm

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

No in theory the fridge method makes sense,
The problem of fogging is caused by humid air on the inside fogging the camera when the outside gets colder than the air....causing the humid air on the inside to condense on the inside of the lens when the lens gets colder than the original air that's trapped inthere.....such as during a water submersion.
When you take the sealed camera out of the fridge you will get condensation on the OUTSIDE. Not a problem because the air on the inside is cold and dry due to the reduced amount of moisture cold air is able to absorb.

Of course opening it up for any reason (battery change etc) will kill any effect this has as it relys on the case being totally air tight. I suspect there is some air leakage that will occur so Given long enough the effects will be lost.

I wouldn't expect it to help if you have to drive say an hour or 2 to your local kite spot.

508 wildfish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madaket , jetties, pocomo, nantucket, ma
Favorite Beaches: madaket harbor, jetties, and pocomo nantucket harbor
Style: freeride
Gear: 08 12m naish cult
07 9m best waroo
08 10m eh beast from offdalip
07 crazyfly proline
ocean rodeo sessions 2 harness
dakine taboo harness
ocean rodeo pyropro drysuit
and a bunch of bars pumps and swag
08 naish smartloop bar of choice

Postby 508 wildfish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 am

Flight Time wrote:Rain-X Anti-Fog on the camera and case lenses, and I have never had a second of footage ruined by fogging.
i totally agree with the rain x anti fog. it works so well i quit putting the inserts in combo with rain x. spray it in heavy let sit for couple hours, pour out and let air dry overnight. mint

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 am

This is supposed to be a thread about test results - all scientific, like :D

With the fridge - how do you close the case without opening the door :lol:

Rain-X Anti-fog. Not sold here :o I'm going to use some stuff for the inside of motorbike visors...

In the meantime, the Contour Roam2 works great :thumb:

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Torch
Neo's

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 am

Kamikuza wrote:This is supposed to be a thread about test results - all scientific, like :D

With the fridge - how do you close the case without opening the door :lol::

All you have to do is close the camera latch to seal the camera without changing the relative humidity of the air inside the CAMERA (not the fridge) . Humid air isn't going to rapidly enter the camera Especially if the camera stays in a cold part of the fridge/freezer, back of the freezer or fridge GOOD IDEA, fridge or freezer door BAD IDEA.

You WILL get some condensation on the OUTSIDE as you remove it from the fridge or freezer to humid air this isn't a problem. The purpose was to make sure you had dry air INSIDE the camera to prevent fogging when the camera cools off in the water. Condensation will still occur on the outside when riding but it evaporates/wipes/washes off really quick as there's tons of airflow on the outside to dry it off. Inside the air sealed and insulated by the plastic case so takes it's sweet time.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:This is supposed to be a thread about test results - all scientific, like :D

With the fridge - how do you close the case without opening the door :lol::

All you have to do is close the camera latch to seal the camera without changing the relative humidity of the air inside the CAMERA (not the fridge) . Humid air isn't going to rapidly enter the camera Especially if the camera stays in a cold part of the fridge/freezer, back of the freezer or fridge GOOD IDEA, fridge or freezer door BAD IDEA.

You WILL get some condensation on the OUTSIDE as you remove it from the fridge or freezer to humid air this isn't a problem. The purpose was to make sure you had dry air INSIDE the camera to prevent fogging when the camera cools off in the water. Condensation will still occur on the outside when riding but it evaporates/wipes/washes off really quick as there's tons of airflow on the outside to dry it off. Inside the air sealed and insulated by the plastic case so takes it's sweet time.
Must have a bigger fridge then we do - put the case in the back, but as soon as I opened the door, the whole case condensation... ed.

Air-con in the car works, but seems to take a lot of time. Got some Acme brand no-fog stuff today... we'll see how that goes!

Return to “Kitesurfing”