Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby redman333 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Okay im coming to you guys again for a little bit of help selecting a trainer kite. I think I've pretty much desided to get the Ocean Rodeo trainer, since as far as I can tell it will give me the closest experiece to flying a full size kite. Its a 2M kite. Will this be a good kite to learn on. I don't mind paying little extra on this since I plan on using it to help teach a few other how to fly once I get up and going.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm

With any trainer kite you cannot really go wrong.
But a bar is always better than handles, to get the right feeling from the beginning!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

redman333 wrote: Its a 2M kite. Will this be a good kite to learn on. I don't mind paying little extra on this since I plan on using it to help teach a few other how to fly once I get up and going.
Hello redman333...take a look at this 2.5 m2..since you don't mind spending a little extra

I do not know how much it cost...North is usually more because of the excellent quality

Wind range 2kn (No BS :lol: ).....to 16kn....as per North :wink:

http://www.northkites.com/products/kites/lizard/

The Lizard is a foil....so very good for land training
The Rise 2.0 is a tube...good for over water training...it will "probably" need more wind than 2kn to fly

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm

10 pages of this? Man U guys are patient.

U bought a kite w/o a bar. Brilliant.

U r going to take lessons, smartness move yet! :thumb:

My suggestion, locate instructor, take ur kite. Have instructor set u up with a bar and teach you, and also use ur kite if wind allows, skip trainer kite!

Instead of spending additional funds on trainer kite, practice w ur kite in proper wind range and perhaps use that $ on second lesson

Max

Ps my trainer kite started collecting dust right after I flew my first kite (w a lesson)

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm

madmax7 wrote:10 pages of this? Man U guys are patient.

U bought a kite w/o a bar. Brilliant.

U r going to take lessons, smartness move yet! :thumb:

My suggestion, locate instructor, take ur kite. Have instructor set u up with a bar and teach you, and also use ur kite if wind allows, skip trainer kite!

Instead of spending additional funds on trainer kite, practice w ur kite in proper wind range and perhaps use that $ on second lesson

Max

Ps my trainer kite started collecting dust right after I flew my first kite (w a lesson)
Your the first person that's said skip the trainer kite. Since I've never flown anything before but a single line kite as a kid I prefer to damage a trainer than my full size kite if something goes wrong. Also I would like to see if I can get my little brother, my dad, my girlfriend and her little brother into the sport and would never allow them to just try flying my full size kite. That's the other reason for wanting a trainer so they can kinda get an idea of what the sport is.

I do plan on doing lessons, probably going to take the lessons that were recommended by one of the posts here that uses new LF gear. I don't plan on doing this until may time frame though so I wasn't concerned about the bar, harness and board yet. Ill be ordering my harness and bar and lines in a couple weeks here and plan on buying the board there in OBX so that I can actually place my feet in the foot pads to see what I like. Also my other reasoning for not getting the bar and lines is because I know myself and it would probably sit for a couple days then I'd say to hell with it lets go try to fly and maybe mess up my kite that way.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 am

SupaEZ wrote:
redman333 wrote: Its a 2M kite. Will this be a good kite to learn on. I don't mind paying little extra on this since I plan on using it to help teach a few other how to fly once I get up and going.
Hello redman333...take a look at this 2.5 m2..since you don't mind spending a little extra

I do not know how much it cost...North is usually more because of the excellent quality

Wind range 2kn (No BS :lol: ).....to 16kn....as per North :wink:

http://www.northkites.com/products/kites/lizard/

The Lizard is a foil....so very good for land training
The Rise 2.0 is a tube...good for over water training...it will "probably" need more wind than 2kn to fly
I like that too, does anyone here have an idea how much this kite is? I kinda think I'd like to stick to an inflatable though. Only because I think it would help to learn relaunch and body dragging. What do you think?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 am

redman333 wrote:
I like that too, does anyone here have an idea how much this kite is? I kinda think I'd like to stick to an inflatable though. Only because I think it would help to learn relaunch and body dragging. What do you think?
I dunno how much they are, but the trainers are pretty much the same across the board if you get it from a good kite brand.

I would also recommend the larger of the trainer kites, but not an absolute necessity. It is just a little more fun to fly a 2 meter kite than a smaller one. I would prioritize getting a good lesson over buying an expensive trainer. I do think a trainer will help you develop skills in controlling the kite, and understanding how flying it works...but it does not take long to do so.. It is actually nice to have when buddies are thinking of trying.
See if you can find some exercises simulating figure 8, controlling level of where the kite should stay. That is how you develop skills. Just taking the kite out thrashing it around is not as effective IMO. :-)

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 pm

How about this? A guy here pm'd me this info as it is what he used and it seems intriguing. A company called method has a kite trainer for about $124 on their site that Is a 2/4 line kite trainer in 3m size. I think this is nice because it states I can use an existing bar and lines to fly in the 4 line mode. Then I could get my bar and lines for my full size kite and use it with the trainer.

Here's a link to the site he sent me.
http://www.methodtrainerkite.com/
Not sure if I'm allowed to post links if not let me know and I will remove it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:56 pm

redman333 wrote:How about this? A guy here pm'd me this info as it is what he used and it seems intriguing. A company called method has a kite trainer for about $124 on their site that Is a 2/4 line kite trainer in 3m size. I think this is nice because it states I can use an existing bar and lines to fly in the 4 line mode. Then I could get my bar and lines for my full size kite and use it with the trainer.

Here's a link to the site he sent me.
http://www.methodtrainerkite.com/
Not sure if I'm allowed to post links if not let me know and I will remove it.

quit wasting time and get started. dont be a perfectionist about the kite and the bar and whatever. It's not real important exactly how you start kiting trainers, no trainers, lessons before trainers lessons after trainers, which kite to buy, just make sure you stay safe -- this means lighter winds for a beginner a working safety quick release and lessons. So go get started and welcome to the most awesome sport in the world.

Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Trainer kites are the best way to involve your friends or girlfriends into kitesurfing, I don't know anyone that didn't like to fly it.

Saludos,

Jaime

Return to “Kitesurfing”