Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Let's talk about Pop!

Postby alex85 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 pm

When do you release your edge popping unhooked?I mean you try to edge as long as you can or just try to be more rapid and release as you feel an increase of tension in your lines?

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: Let's talk about POP!

Postby nherbold » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 pm

once you've unhooked and are ready to pop you build the pressure by compressing and, just before you are fully compressed, push the boards sideways and jump away from you kite. Allow the pull of your kite to decompress and get ready for landing pointing down wind.

Good luck

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 am

nherbold wrote:once you've unhooked and are ready to pop you build the pressure by compressing and, just before you are fully compressed, push the boards sideways and jump away from you kite. Allow the pull of your kite to decompress and get ready for landing pointing down wind.

Good luck
That sounds more like going off a kicker or wave sorry but thats not how you pop.

Alex

First you have to understand what is going on with the kite. When you bare off wind your kite falls back in the window (this is very important and I will get back to this). As you edge your kite will start to shoot forward and generate lift or power how ever you want to call it.

Now when to release your edge depends on the kite (where it sits in the window, a kite that sits deep you can hold a long edge, a forward kite is a short edge). If you hold your edge too long the kite will lose too much power as it will fly too far forward. Too little edge and it will not have enough power to pop you out of the water. You just have to learn when to release your edge to your kite.

As far as basic loading you want to be very stiff so you transfer as much power to the board as possible. Watch a few vids and see how the pros use there bodies while edging. The higher your kite is the more you will end up doing more of a sitting motion as you edge. The lower the kite is the more you can lean back and not break at the hips.

Popping is not jumping its a quick release of your edge. All the stored up energy is what will give you height. Practice practice practice.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Let's talk about Pop!

Postby lenker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 am

FWIW, I think of a kicker that I carve myself into the water.

alex85
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rimini , italy
Favorite Beaches: Every where is sunny and windy
Style: 50% OLDSCHOOL 50% NEWSCHOOL
Gear: Slingshot Turbine 15 2018
North Vegas 13 2016
Dutonce Dice SLS 12 2023
North Vegas 10 2016
Duotone Dice SLS 10 2022
Duotone Vegas 9 2019
Dutone Dice SLS 8 2022
Slingshot RPM 7 2020
Duotone EVO 7 2023
Ozone Torque 136x41

Postby alex85 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 am

TheJoe wrote: Now when to release your edge depends on the kite (where it sits in the window, a kite that sits deep you can hold a long edge, a forward kite is a short edge). If you hold your edge too long the kite will lose too much power as it will fly too far forward. Too little edge and it will not have enough power to pop you out of the water. You just have to learn when to release your edge to your kite.

As far as basic loading you want to be very stiff so you transfer as much power to the board as possible. Watch a few vids and see how the pros use there bodies while edging. The higher your kite is the more you will end up doing more of a sitting motion as you edge. The lower the kite is the more you can lean back and not break at the hips.

Popping is not jumping its a quick release of your edge. All the stored up energy is what will give you height. Practice practice practice.
That's what I was thinking; I met many riders on the beach and every one have his own theory, someone told me to edging till the "death" someone the opposite. I never think that it depends also with their kite.

Also I never understand why so many differents body position of the pros while edging...it can be an explanation!!!

sharky79
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby sharky79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 am

It's all about knowing your board, your kite, and timing.

Remember this, If you release too soon you will get a tiny pop, If you release too late you'll stall and get a tiny pop.

MarcThompson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca; Praia Seca; Araruama; Arubinha; Búzios.
Favorite Beaches: Praia Seca
Style: Freeride
Gear: CORE Riot XR2 11, Slingshot Darko.

Postby MarcThompson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Nice load and pop instructional.

http://vimeo.com/26539760

Return to “Kitesurfing”